Stubborn Marine Battle Damage Request.

Ironbug

Now, first things first,

I am aware there are battle dmage guides, but I'd like a real feel of stubbornly walking through a torrent of fire kinda feel.

Now, again, Im gonna reference the 3rd Ed BRB with the big black and white image of the Marine, True-grit-ing his bolter, armor chipped and cracked.

Now, thats a pic enough to get ANYONE into Marines.

The thing is, I'm an average painter, and I don't want to carve off bits of my marines, or ruin them with my amateur efforts in painting. So, are there simple, but effective things I could do really?

Anyone got a couple of sneaky tips or ideas that'd go down a treat?

Thankyou :)

If you're working with metal models, battle damage is rather simple to achieve. Paint up the model to your best standard and then take a file and file the paint off the "battle damaged" edges and make scratches across plates until you think he's suitably messed up looking.

You don't want to take bits off, and you don't want to paint. What does that leave us with?

My suggestion is to try painting. If you thin your paints (and you should be) it will be easy to cover up anything which does not look right.

Step 1) Do small splotches of black, concentrate on the edges and raised parts.

Step 2) Cover the black in silver, leaving just a tiny amount of the black showing at the edges. (It is easier to do than you might think, you don't have to be perfect)

I really think you should try, it is the only way your going to get better.

Reference pics are also good. Real life military equipment or used industry. Not to mention tons of battle damaged mini pics to inspire you both within these forums and outside.

Here is a fairly dire job from me. The paint jobs here are 10+ years old. (I like to think I am a better painter these days :P) The one in the middle has some of my first battle damage ever done. If I can post this, you can at least attempt your battle damage ;)

Also look at my avatar, if I can not so happily go with with a pic that in in such an obvious need of touch ups, again, don't be afraid to try. You might be happy to know that mini has since been fixed. :P I really should get around to updating the avatar.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d124/Shadey_Character/Warhammer/DarkAngels_Marines_001.jpg

You could try using a sponge to dab boltgun metal to create the chipped effect. Not being a good painter does not excuse one from trying or attempting to become a better painter. You just need to grab the chance and do it, and in doing so, improve yourself! :D

You could do the hair-spray paint chip method. This is more for aging machinery than battle damage but I think you could chip away the top a soft sculpting tool or even a bit of old plastic sprue to achieve some nice effects.

Short version:

- base coat the model in a metallic color (what will be seen when the top paint is worn away)

- give the model 3 coats of hairspray, letting it dry completely between coats

- base coat and paint as normal.

- once fully dry, soak the model in water for a couple of hours

- with an old toothbrush, scrub away portions of the upper paint

- let dry and varnish finished model

The hairspray gives a layer of poor bonding that will give way when soaked in water. I have done this with terrain pieces because it is easy, quick (as in little hands on time but there are several steps that require a long dry time) and has a good effect for little effort. I'm not sure how this will work on a marine and frankly I have not tried because I do not want an intentionally weak bond on my miniatures since even with the top varnish I am afraid they will chip. I don't know if they will or not, tho. As I said, I have never tried it on an army.

Archived