Fallen Angels Novel

Grand Master Neo

Just re-read the chapter and here is my view.

1. We already know the Lion is bad at reading people.

True. But I think this "the Lion does not get people" thing has been overplayed to a ridiculus level. If this attribute (inability to read people) conflicts with his ability to make correct strategic decisions then he wouldn't have the "great strategist" fame that seems to be his strong point, his niche if you like, among other Primarchs.

2. He's smug in what he thinks is his ultimate victory over Horus.

Indeed another out-of-character moment. Where is the calculating, reserved strategist that attempts to cover all the angles? I think you read it right but it shouldn't be there in the first place...

3. He's got no reason at all to suspect that any more Legions went traitor. You've got to remember that this was already a huge betrayal but they had thought it was still small only 3 legions. To think that even more had turned just wouldn't have entered their minds before the dropsite massacre.

Why? Why didn't he have any reason to suspect any more Legions went traitor? Again you read it correctly -this is how he appears in the novel. But it is unsubstantiated. Three went bad already and the Warmaster amongst them no less. At this point anyone with half a brain would question the loyalty of everyone else and his dog! The Lion (being paranoid and everything) should work under the assumption he is the only loyal Primarch unless proven otherwise. This is not a court of law where innocence is pre-assumed. This is a Treachery of Galactic proportions - and frankly anyone should be mistrusting of one-another. And for the Lion this would have come naturally - he is paranoid by nature after all. But now all this is forgotten!

So the Lion goes:*Sure Perturabo must be loyal because... ermm... I don't know - he looks honest! And I am such a trusting guy... oh what the hell, I'll trust him! Now where did I put those tanks...*

4. Perturabo is still acting loyal at this point and is flattering the Lion putting him at ease. This compounds the first 3 points.

Agreed that this is probably the intention of the author. But again it makes the Lion susceptable to flattery to the point of overlooking his other established traits: strategic insight and general mistrust of others. It sort of "lessens" him for no apparent reason.

5. It makes good tactical sense to turn them over to Perturabo to use against Horus.

Yes. Or Dorn. Provided that Perturabo proved his loyalty in this troubled times. Which he didn't. These tanks were far too valuable to be misplaced. As things turn out, I won't be surprised to see them on Terra! There are huge Siege engines designed for huge sieges! I can think no greater siege than that of Terra so... If my reasoning is correct it annoys me further that the Lion could have had a positive (if indirect) contribution to the Siege of the Emperor's Palace by denying these engines to the Traitors. As it is he is portrayed as if unwittingly (stupidly?) aids them. So a rare chance to show the Lion as having some sort of relevance in the cataclysmic events on Terra (based on his most defining feature: Big Picture Strategy) vapourises - again for no reason! Why? What was the point of the entire passage in the book? I think it was a blunder.

6. The Lion is very loyal to the Emperor and the Imperium, he out says this. He thinks Horus is going to be put down quickly and for the crusade to continue going forward after this it will need a strong leader. Thus he's trying to score political allies for afterward. Who knows which other of his brothers he made political deals with at some point.

Another out-of-character moment. Why would he think that? Didn't he have respect for Horus' abilities? Did he think everything was as it appeared at the time? Isn't that naive? Again the strategic aspect of the Lion is downplayed to the level of a guardsman that "can't think" other Primarchs could turn. Why on earth??? And the political deal was so hilarious. I'll give you the engines - you vote for me! On what body would Perturabo's vote or opinion be counted? Did the Emperor made a "parliamentary" debate before he appointed Horus? What sort of crazy deal was that? As to whether the Lion approached any other Primarchs, I have to assume not. There is no evidence what-so-ever for that. In fact Perturabo was the first Primarch the Lion meets after Horus turned bad.

7. Luther isn't there. Without Luther the Lion is just a bad politician. Great general, bad politician.

It appears not a great general either... Handling military assets in times of war is a strategic decision. And he messed it up! It is one thing to have a fight with Russ because "you don't get people" and another to broker deals with military assets that (in the Lion's view) are battle winners!

Going from all that I really think we can take the last chapter at face value and assume the Lion thought he was doing the right thing. Who knows though. Things may flip on their head once again the next time we get a HH DA book.

Agreed. It is just a shame that two books about DAs have been sub-par... I read "Thousand Sons" and Magnus was portrayed EXACTLY as I thought of him! Wise, master of sorcery, loyal (in his heart), commanding presence, and also stoic in the end. Russ in both TH and Prospero is also portrayed correctly in my view, ruthless, violent but also cunning and in control. Horus was also treated well in "Horus Rising", the strategist, the diplomat and the warrior. A pity about the Lion that was hardly shown in "Decent" and in "Fallen" although it is ok for the most part the ending ruins it completely... Two books that count for very little in their depiction of the Lion.

I think your points reflect the intentions of the author correctly. However, the novel leave a lot of other (and equally legit) interpertation. And I don't like that. I would like a clean definition of what the Lion stands for and show him in a better light.

For some reason i am starting to believe that our primarchs character is been mudied here and there intentionaly and not by mistake.

Its my gut telling me that.First you have the doubts seeded in Angels of darkness regarding his loyalty and now this...

It all sounds like a plan to me,but of what kind i dont know.The lion is a mysterious sort as he is but after this...You just think what the heck...

Archived