The Obsidian Brotherhood

Hieronymus

I have a fairly big stock of unpainted Dark Angels which I once bought and have never gotten to painting any of them. I bought the Dark Angels company kit with vets, predator, termis and all in a frenzy and because I loved the models. But 3/4 years later I have a big box full of sprues. Now I want to start painting them and try to find some connection to a local gaming community.

I want to make a successor chapter named Obsidian Feathers. With a fairly light base color like the Angels of Absolution. And the Veterans etc will have their feathers painted black but hope to keep the detailing. I like the idea of Sergeants and non TDA vets to have brown robes. I'm still thinking about an origin and home planet and their fluff. Maybe I would like some ties with the Adeptus Mechanicus which I could represent in some deep red touches on Terminators and Vehicles.

I have ordered the Chapter Master with the two feathers on its helmet; as I prefer that one to the one the kit was released with and some other modelling stuff recently and once they are in I plan on painting some test models.

Kind Regards,

Hieronymus.

One small thing. Could you please stand up. Good. Now picture a army of beasts and monstrosities, of terrors too twisted to mention. Now imagine screaming your Chapter's name at them. If they have all died laughing, it is not a good name. Obsidian-Good for Astartes. Feathers-Don't ask. <_<

Seriously, could you please pick a name. Maybe Obsidian Skulls. Obsidian Golems. Obsidian Jaguars. But please not feathers.

I must admit that I'm on Ring's side here. Feathers = not scary, military, knightly, etc. Remind people of pillows and boas. Not a good name for Space Marines.

There are plenty of symbols that might suit better - various totemic animals, for starters. You can have feathers be important without naming the chapter after them.

If I where to go with a totemic animal I like bears but Obsidian Bears? I also like these creatures and wouldn't mind basing a scheme of them:

http://www.birdlist.co.uk/images/gambia/piedkingfisher3.jpg

But Obsidian Kingfishers? Maybe I have a nack for choosing panzy names. I'll sleep about it.

Maybe a more generic Native American name and a kingfisher themed Ravenwing.. and Bear themed Deathwing..

Well, they named an Assault mech in Battletech the Kingfisher, so you wouldn't be the first to do it. :angry: Keep in mind that Kingfishers aren't actually that common in North America. There's apparently one species. I've never seen one (though my fiancee apparently has. Once).

You could go a little alternative with the name - the Kingfisher Legion, or just the Kingfishers.

Bears can be tricky to pull off - it's remarkable how many words look weird when combined with 'Bears'. Flame Bears, for example - doesn't seem right.

Ravens, maybe? Coyotes? Wolves, even (no one would see it coming)? Hawks?

Obsidian Falcons? :)

Obsidian Hawks? (black hawks down ;) )

Obsidian Ostriches :P

Obsidian Cougars (Black Panthers B) )

Do what makes you happy and welcome to the Rock :D

"Obsidian Angels" would make you fit right in as a successor chapter too.

stobz

Or swap Obsidian for any other adjective representing Black or darkness: Ebon, Jet, Pitch, Raven, Sable, Slate, Eclipsed, Gloom, Shadow, Twilight

Or swap Feather for another: Crest, Fin, Pinion, Spike, Wing

Also good: Claw, Talon, Nail, Hook, Paw, Spur, Barb

However you decide to name it, it will likely be good. Have fun and good luck!

Unfortunately, its hard to pull off a name with the word 'Ward' in it nowadays without everybody thinking smurfs smurfs smurfs.

Maybe the Obsidian Aegis. Obsidian Korp. Obsidian Knights(somewhat common i imagine this one)

Still, its your choice. Bears are very cool animals, and certainly worthy of more press. I even named my second Chapter after them, Templars Ursa(Templars of the Bear)

Well in truth, bears and wolves are not the first animals one associates with gothic warrior monks... But if you wanna play up the Native American theme (despite being dropped as a DA defining feature) by all means try it out. "Wardens" is also an interesting partial name. Especially if you combine it with some interesting fluff as to what your chapter is actually guarding. Just avoid "Bear Wardens" as it points towards wildlife preservation rather than post human uber warriors ;).

I really like the Obsidian part as it is a nice material and color. I have been thinking of The Obsidian Brotherhood. And I like the animal themes for companies. So I might put some of the ideas I have into names for Deathwing, ravenwing equivalents etc. A venerable Dreadnought called the Kingfisher based on the Raven Guard Venerable Dreadnought without their logo's for example.

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Images/Product/DefaultFW/xlarge/rgdread1.jpg

I like it! And the totemic 1st and 2nd Companies could be very nice, especially if you can find some appropriately sized totem icons that you can attach (or if you can make them, I'm just not that good with green stuff yet)! Ravenguard bits will probably help for your Kingfishers.

You may find some Space Wolves bits to be helpful in the bear category, with a little modification their bits could look fairly "Bear-ish" (shorten the skull snouts some) and since their Terminator helms look a little more like the older Terminator helms (which because of their shorter "snouts" I thought looked somewhat bear-like to begin with) than the other current ones seem to, they may look a little better for you (especially if you can find them in local bits boxes/scheme them off friends that play Space Wolves, because for some reason those ding-dongs rarely do the smart thing and use their helmets). :P

I have been thinking of The Obsidian Brotherhood.

WINNER!!!!

Great name, I think Bryan is going down the right track for the totems too, a mixture of SW and DA icons FTW. You can swap between codexes too and nobody will mind :rolleyes: muaha ha ha ha.

stobz

I have no means of making it a Chaos army but I had some thoughts. How far can I go to create my own fluff and still be DA successor? Or even be considered loyal? I read that every soul and sentient being in the universe leaves a footprint in the warp. One could say their souls.

If I said that some of The Obsidian Brotherhood's members have altered warp footprints due to a benevolent/neutral event or encounter in the warp and have formed to the resemblance of animals. Whose total degression is being stopped by the power of the Emperor which I will represent as dream-catchers on banners and veterans. Those individuals that endure this condition collect in the first company, The Spirit Brethren(Deathwing) and in the top hierarchy/sergeants.

This to represent the totemic animals and the tribal nature of the company. They are still dominantly human tho.

I know that would make them questionable lot by the inquisition but Dark Angels are already that. What do you think about those ideas?

a very warp-focused chapter that. Though Librarians seem to be able to cloak their 'soul' by changing its appearance(Ravenor series, if i remeber correctly, where two psykers have a whole fight just doing that), so cold be explained by a high incidence of warp-overspill into chapter through relics? Through enviroment close to the warp? I do not doubt the inqiusion would be sniffing around, bt maybe they never see the first company, or there are some highly placed radicals protecting them in exchange for seeing how its done?

My small, small, worthless ideas :P

Archived