Squad Markings

Vexicus

Hail Brothers,

I have finaly decided to give all my models company and squad markings but have hit a snag. I'm doin a 3rd company which consists of 6 tact squads 2 assault and 2 devs but what im unclear of is squad numbers. What I'm unclear about is, do you have tact squad 1-6 and the assault squad 7&8 and devs 9&10 or tact 1-6, assault 1&2 and devs 1&2?

Thank for any help

Vex

Yeap, what keith said. Squads are numbered from 1-10 and their specialty is denoted by the tactical/assault/dev. markings. Of course this is conveying the message twice, I mean if the 10th squad of the third company is a devastator by the above definition, why do you also need a specialty marking? Therefore your point is valid but it is one of those things...

On the positive side, you can do without specialty marking altogether (it's hard to apply big decals on curved surfaces anyway) and just go with the number. Your call really. But I think you'll find in most official depictions both the squad number and the squad specialty marking displayed. If this makes a difference to you, you have to apply both.

As far as company markings go, you need to paint them on the knee pad - this is the common practice. But you can be innovative and paint your diagonal red stripe (for the 3rd Comp.) anywhere you like (shoulder pad, the leg, nowhere!). What I've done is that my sergeants carry banners that denote the company alnong with squad numbers and then I just applied the squad numbers (and specialty markings) on the individual marines. That way you come around the fact that some marines with Mk6 do not have knee pads, not to mention the robed marines.

If anything FW books have shown us that the markings (especially on veterans) can be very "anarchic" i.e. it's up to the individual to display them to his taste. Even the specialty markings can vary slightly within the same squad - although I'd assume that the DAs will be more "by the book" than other Chapters. But in the end of the day, it is up to you!

Don't forget to show us pictures of your finished stuff! :D

The best decals for DA come from FW. They are a tad smaller than GW's and if you use them, then use Micro Sol after that they shape and look great on your mini's.

Edit for spelling....

Ive managed to use the GW transfers and I've used aceton nail polish remover to sofen them up. So far Ive got 2nd tactical squad and 7th assault squad of the 3rd company. Once I've dont my 9th devistator squad I'll try and figure out how to post some pictures for you all.

Squads are numbered from 1-10 and their specialty is denoted by the tactical/assault/dev. markings. Of course this is conveying the message twice, I mean if the 10th squad of the third company is a devastator by the above definition, why do you also need a specialty marking?

When you get to the reserve companies the first through sixth squads aren't tactical squads. For example in the ninth company the first squad has a devastator badge. But as said how you mark your squads is up to you. The Codex Astartes itself says that squad markings should be changed from time to time in order to confuse the enemy!

Squads are numbered from 1-10 and their specialty is denoted by the tactical/assault/dev. markings. Of course this is conveying the message twice, I mean if the 10th squad of the third company is a devastator by the above definition, why do you also need a specialty marking?

When you get to the reserve companies the first through sixth squads aren't tactical squads. For example in the ninth company the first squad has a devastator badge. But as said how you mark your squads is up to you. The Codex Astartes itself says that squad markings should be changed from time to time in order to confuse the enemy!

True, but then again reserve squads specialty is also defined by the codex. Which means as long as you know the company (say Ninth) you know they are all devs anyway. Putting the specialty marking (nice as it may be) it is superflouous. But this is how GW depicts them and frankly they look damn cool :)! If you have no problem with the correct decal application or you are a God of free-hand...

I'm just waiting for my devistators transfers to dry so I though I'd show you one of my prefered models from my 2nd tactical squad.

http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd414/vexicus86/100_0448.jpg

http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd414/vexicus86/100_0447.jpg

http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd414/vexicus86/100_0449.jpg

I'll freely admit that I'm not the best painter in the world and am of the opinion that once you can tell what somthing is it can go on the table top. C&C ar of course welcome.

Thank you brothers.

Vex

Looks good. As for the squad markings, I have been using the GW Tactical shoulder pad for my guys (I hate decals, probably because I can't ever get them right. I have been toying with the idea of painting ALL my heavy weapons troopers with the Dev. specialty marking to allow myself greater flexibility in squad builds. I use the triangular slash rather than the one that looks like the Canadian flag because it is easier to paint, and I think it looks better. I do not number my squads so that I can swap out heavy and special weapons.

Just a suggestion, since not every marine leg has a knee pad, what I do instead is put the company mark on the right shoulder pad, with the squad number and squad marking. I also was thinking of some kind of squad heraldry on the left shoulder pad, underneath the chapter symbol.

Of course, I am doing 5th company, so I think the quartered company symbol looks better than the 3rd company stripe, at least on a shoulder pad.

If anything FW books have shown us that the markings (especially on veterans) can be very "anarchic" i.e. it's up to the individual to display them to his taste. Even the specialty markings can vary slightly within the same squad - although I'd assume that the DAs will be more "by the book" than other Chapters. But in the end of the day, it is up to you!

Don't forget to show us pictures of your finished stuff! ^_^

I actually think the DA will be LESS by the book, have a look at all the different chapter markings in the art in the codex. My problem is with company vets. Do they belong to a squad or are they from outside the company structure? Mine are badged as 5th squad but I'm having second thoughts about that...

I have been under the impression that Company Veteran status is seperate from normal squad organization. They form seperate units/squads of varying size and capabilities, and are also the body from which the veteran sergeants are drawn from. In a Company organization, they would form an 11th, 12th, or whatever squad. Or you could always make your veteran squad your "1st" squad, just as in most Chapters the 1st Company is always the Veteran Company.

I actually think the DA will be LESS by the book, have a look at all the different chapter markings in the art in the codex. My problem is with company vets. Do they belong to a squad or are they from outside the company structure? Mine are badged as 5th squad but I'm having second thoughts about that...

And yet the showcased miniatures were always painted and modelled in a consistent "Codex like" style - as opposed say to the BAs. My perception is that DAs are very austere and not very flamboyant - I always thought the art was a bit OTT in some cases (as you correctly pointed out) - especially the older stuff, but I attribute it to "artistic license" if you like. I guess you can build an argument for both sides - it boils down to personal taste...

As far as Vets go, the Codex does indeed state that they are fielded in the place of a tactical squad. It does not however state they ARE a tactical squad - they are not, they are Veterans. So it is again a matter of personal taste. If you want you can mark them as Tacticals (1st squad of 3rd Company for example) or you can mark them quite differently - e.g. with the skull that is the "universal" identification of the Veterans or whatever else is your fancy. I have not made up my mind on this but it just seem way too plain to mark them as a Tactical squad. But maybe it is in line with the austere image I mentioned above...

My 3rd Company has squads as follows:

Command Squad; marked with personal heraldry no number (exept on the banner),

1st Squad; Company Vets with personal heraldry, (replaces a Tac Sqd)

2nd Squad; Compant Vets with personal heraldry, (replaces a Tac Sqd)

3rd Squad; Tactical Sqd marked 3 as per codex,

4th Squad; Tactical Sqd marked 4 as per codex,

5th Squad; Tactical Sqd marked 5 as per codex,

6th Squad; Tactical Sqd marked 6 as per codex,

7th Squad; Assault Sqd marked 7 as per codex,

8th Squad; Assault Sqd marked 8 as per codex,

9th Squad; Devastator Sqd marked 9 as per codex,

and 10th Squad; Devastator Sqd marked 10 as per codex.

Now that I have gotten that out of the way, remember that you can do whatever you want with your minis, just plan it out before you get too far along so you don't have to redo everything :P

my 3cents

stobz

They may take the place of a tactical sqd, but they carry very different weapon loadouts so marking them as such makes no sense. A skull on the right does seem to be the best idea. TH/SS armed vets ARE NOT tact. JM2Cs.

Edit: Talking about CO. Vet markings forgot to quote.

You are absolutely right. It does state in the Codex the the vets take the place of tactical squads in chapter organization. Unfortunatelly for me, that means I now have two extra tac squads :ph34r: I just didn't pay attention to that part when building my Battle Company.

You are absolutely right. It does state in the Codex the the vets take the place of tactical squads in chapter organization. Unfortunatelly for me, that means I now have two extra tac squads :P I just didn't pay attention to that part when building my Battle Company.

Heck just use them as reinforcements from another company in apoc games.

While they may operate in the "place" of a tactical squad, they are not a standing formation, as it says that they are gathered together... My thought on it is that they are normally dispersed within the squads utilizing their standard armament (bolter, bolt pistol, etc) but in possession of some other toys used when the situation (being gathered to form a veteran squad) is dictated by the commander. Thus their markings likely are per the squad they come from when they regularly deploy with their squads in the company. What happens to the squads that they pull away from? Those are probably reinforced by the members of the squad(s) they displace.

I must disagree Bryan <_<, the way I read and understand it is;

As Brothers get experienced and gain Vet status they are taken from their original squad leaving only the Sgt as a Vet, the vacancy created in the squad is filled by a deserving scout as normal;

If the new Vet shows leadership he gets a Sgt position when one is available,

If the new Vet has the aptitude to be promoted to DW then he goes there,

If the Vet is 'merely' a better fighter or there are no vacancies as above then he and other Vets in a similar situation will get "gathered" together into a Company Veteran Squad or two (of variable number 5-10 strong). The new Squad(s) replace a Tactical squad on the Company org. IMO this squad is a standing formation until the Company Master choses to reorg due to attrition and/or promotion.

That way keeps the number of marines in a Company reasonably static at around 100 in 10 squads and gives an asset to the commander for the 'big' jobs.

I could be totally wrong of course, but that is my take. That is why I choose to mark them as 1st (Veteran) Squad and have no other Squad in the Company marked with a 1.

Also each player can do what they like so the OP could choose either/or/or something else.

2c worth

stobz

While they may operate in the "place" of a tactical squad, they are not a standing formation, as it says that they are gathered together...

Due to casualties and replacements its rare for a full squad to attain veteran status at the same time, when individual marines attain veteran status you either leave them where they are or.. er.. gather them together? I don't see how the statement 'gathered together' has any weight either way on the standing/temporary issue.

I have just begun painting the squad markings on my marines - mainly as a way to aid game-play as each squad number will match with a rhino / razorback (since the turrets can be switched if not glued in place). However, having designated my tacticals, assault marines and devastators into the 5th Company I am now faced with a decision.

I have a number of Veterans, which I could easily paint as another company as per the codex, replacing for example the tacticals from the 4th company. But what about command squads? I have two command squads... do they have their own markings and where do they fit into the organisation of the chapter?

I have a number of Veterans, which I could easily paint as another company as per the codex, replacing for example the tacticals from the 4th company. But what about command squads? I have two command squads... do they have their own markings and where do they fit into the organisation of the chapter?

I´ll tell you what Im going to do with my company vets, since Im in a very similar situation...

First of all, you need 8 plastic sergeant banners (since sargents of the 7th and 8th would look strange flying around with a flag on top of their heads :)), and several rare earth magnets.

Next, you take all you sargents, comany vets and command squad dudes and paint their right shoulder pad with some type of personal heraldry, a skull, the comany badge, just go as crazy as you want. After that, look how many of those have the aproppiate equipment to be sargents. Place one magnet on top of their backpacks. Take the 8 banners, also magnetize them, and paint them to be squds 1-6, 9 and 10. And there you have a lot of elegible sargents for your squads!

Fluff wise, I like to think vets come and go filling diferent places when needed, and using wahat equipment they need to fullfill the task lended to them. Thay can be in command of a certain squad, as a special task force (company vets squad), manning some especial or heavy weapon in a tac squad, etc. Thats why I'll wont mark them with a squad number, except for the banners of the sargents, wich can be switched off easily thanks to magnetism and rare earths :P

That's a decent idea, Wayward. But since I have enough figures to have dedicated sergeants and separate veterans I reckon I will keep my battle company as the fifth and then use one of the 'tactical-only' companies as my Veterans - that'll give me upto ten units worth of Veterans (not that I have that many!) - plenty to allow my five-man lightning claw vet squad to be a different squad number than my power weapons (for example).

As for the command squads I think I will just mark them with a skull on the right shoulder pad (as per the regular codex chapters in Codex Space marine) and forego using company markings.

Archived