Death Company Analysis - Are you scared?

SnorriSnorrison

All that posts about problem of kiting DC? LOL! This is not the case of adding them or not. The problem is that DC is your hammer unit, and your hammer unit gets hammered to bits by the GK's I6-7 force\powerweapons, no exeptions. Thats it. Guaranteed fail on roster buiding stage.

As my BH Reclusiarch Septus*would say;

" We are the Sons of Noble Sanguinius, kill those silver bastards WITH FIRE - baals to the fore NOW!!!! "

*(hes been promoted after killing Abbadon with a crozius to the face and successfully leading his DC into the Emperors mercy, also - he yells alot).

All that posts about problem of kiting DC? LOL! This is not the case of adding them or not. The problem is that DC is your hammer unit, and your hammer unit gets hammered to bits by the GK's I6-7 force\powerweapons, no exeptions. Thats it. Guaranteed fail on roster buiding stage.

While popular not everyone plays GK and not all GK units do well against DC, even if they strike first.

What you generally need to do with JP DC is take a lot of them, that way a few casualties won't matter but you'll be able to sweep most of the popular units of the table a couple of times before your DC is at a size where it's no longer effective.

Helps with mitigating 'rage' too since you'll have a larger squad footprint to work with.

• 2 months later...
Amazing review! I completely agree with you the DC are definitely as tough as nails. I took out 10 Deathwing Terminators with 4 of them and a chaplain. I also obliterated a unit of force halberd GK termies and then my Chaplain did an epic 1v1 against Kamarozov and killed him without Kamarazov striking a blow. Take that GK players! Then a Lascannon was fired at him and he survived. Not quite sure what happened next...

DAboarder- we'll stick this in the resources!

This is not the case of adding them or not. The problem is that DC is your hammer unit, and your hammer unit gets hammered to bits by the GK's I6-7 force\powerweapons, no exeptions. Thats it. Guaranteed fail on roster buiding stage.

So, dont include them because of their amazingness against other armies on account of one army being able to hammer them?

What units should we include in our armies then? Because last I checked power weapons kill everything other than storm shield terms.

Other than that - a full strike squad with 7 halberds getting is a grand total of 1.6 wounds.

Doubled to 3 if they charge, and about 4.5 if they get off hammer hand and charge (half otherwise)

So, if DC charge a squad with full Halberds - once theyve taken their 2 casualties, you can bet your chainsword those GK are gonna feel the hurt. Hardly a "gauranteed fail on the roster building stage".

I know threadomancy is bad but this should really be stickied at the top of the forum.

Hey man, sorry 'bout the still missing credit in the analysis, but every time I'm editing the post all of the tags get messed up and are actually not recognisable anymore...and it took my about an hour to fix it the last time I tried. :(

I'll try again asap though!

@Brother Calistarius:

Thanks man, glad you liked it! :D

And yes, DC are insane(in any possible way of thinking!). They have the potential to take out units that are twice their size and point costs in one charge - and that's why they are feared by a lot of opponents. I really love them.

Thanks again for the support guys!

Snorri

Jumppacks

I
n our previous codizes, the JP was an integral part of any DC squad, it was cheap(or for free even), granted improved movement and had no disadvantages at all as the Rage was suppressed by Chaplains.

Now these days are gone. The JP cost a hefty price of 15 points (yes, that’s right – fifteen!) and the Rage cannot longer be kept in check.

What does that mean?

JP-equipped units of DC will be really small and very expensive, therefore more vulnerable to enemy fire (be it plasma or rending templates…all of which ignores our FnP) and prone to kiting units.

I always field JP DC. Why, you may wonder? Their threat range is superior to Rhino mounted squads, and they are cheaper than an additional Landraider. They can always assault after their movement and the psychological effect on your opponent, seeing black-armoured JP marines moving down his lines, is indeed remarkable and might lead to him making mistakes in order to avoid the DC or to get rid of them. Oh, and I didn’t magnetise my models and glued the jump packs on.

You forgot to add that the JP are 15points EACH! so that's 35p per model, and that is just not worth it! Great article thou

excellent as always, not read the replys yet, so this may have been covered, but here goes.

Dc/rec/sr is a truely fantastic hammer.

But its also expensive.

Ten dc in a rhino is 250 pts, not quite the same hammer, but throw in two powerfists and its a seriously threatening mobile reserve more than capable of slaughtering anything of similar pts value.

I think my next purchase in going to be a pod, so i can drop bolter dc next to devestator type stuff :)

has this rule been actually seen somewhere? or is it still a rumor? If it's true than DC just got a whole lot better and even those who dislike them because of their uncontrollability will start taking them in their lists

At the moment it is a rumour, but if Rage USR does indeed grant +2 attacks, then you will be seeing a lot more furious charging DC in 6th ed. Perhaps as important is that vehicle are becoming a lot easier to hit thus lessening the DC weakness versus mech heavy armies. The idea of 5 S5 I5 per model is insanity. Throw in a the near obligatory chappy and you have ... madness, because of this (and since Litanies of Hate is so much better than Preferred enemy, i.e. works against vehicles) I can't think of another unit that would benefit as much as the DC. Would love to see it. It would justify the Land Raider I just painted especially for my ten man DC.

No exceptions ? 6th Ed does not look as friendly for GK as 5th was. Hmm we will see it looks like GK I6 force weapons are only going to tickle a little bit, DC may get an armour save now from power weapons and a FNP save. 5 attacks per DC and all re-rolled hits and wounds shall we add in Lemartes who goes at I7 ? and potentially when wounded smacks out 8 attacks all re-rolled hits and wounds at I7

With Rage (+2A on the charge) and Relentless (can fire twice up to full range even if moved) taking Bolter DC is now a no brainer.

Does the new Relentless also enable charging after Rapid firing? Or just +1 ranged attack?

I couldn't resist the urge to kit up a 20 man DC unit ^_^ I've been wanting to add a DC element to my BA lists for a while now. I'm really excited at the prospect of Rage USR turning out to be true. Even if it's not, I'm still going to run a DC attachment.

Not to mention the new Rage USR gives +2 attacks on the charge. DC just got a bit more gross.

Confirmed in the new White Dwarf, page 32...

wow I totally overlooked that admission in the caption!

nice to know it's confirmed. DC army is something I have wanted to do for a loooong time.

(could be some custom ordered DC dice in the works from Chessex soon :) keep your ears to the ground.)

Not to mention the new Rage USR gives +2 attacks on the charge. DC just got a bit more gross.

Confirmed in the new White Dwarf, page 32...

And so far with no uncontrollable urges :)

If we give these guys JPs and Power Spears (do we have access to power spears?) they become monsters on the charge.

An I10 hit at strength (I think S5 because of FC).

And then 5 attacks at S6 AP3.

On a unit of 5, that is:

5 attacks at S5

25 attacks at S6

Imagine getting re-rolls on hits and wounds in there!

(And if we indeed can get buffed by Vulcan He'stan's Chapter Tactics, you have to be a little intrigued by master crafted Thunder Hammers on DC)

Your welcome Snorri.

DC RULES!!! Seriously, what more could you want? DC can assault anything (well they have to anyway, Rage) and they will come out on top almost all the time. My DC has never failed me and i always feel bad when i don't include them in my army list. I have 5 with JP and a chaplain and they fly and then everything else dies. End of story.

(do we have access to power spears?)

Sure, the codex just says "power weapon," so we can model them as spears if we so liked.

I think that spears are meant for Eldar (judging by the pics from the book so far) or a future "Knight Rider" release possibly for Black Templars.

http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m2401256a_60040199026_40KRulebook05_873x627.jpg

Archived