(UK) Airbrush recommendations

Hi

I am looking to buy an airbrush, I have a Rhino and a MK IV Dread to paint up and know that they will be full of brush strokes if I try to brush them.

I also want to finally get a playable force together to start gaming again (after roughly 12 years). I think this will go better if I can airbrush my marines to make the painting faster.

I am not a great painter anyway, can never get highlights correct etc. But they always look playable.

So what I am after is recommendations for a good airbrush that doesn't cost the earth. I am probably able to spend roughly £40 - £50 on one. I know this will not buy an "awesome sauce" one but I hope it can get a decent one.

I am hoping that I can avoid the cost of Trial and Error on this one and that some of you guys have bought a decent cheap one in the UK.

Thanks in advance.

RDG Tools Online have an ebay store that does good deals on airbrush starter kits but you would still be looking at spending around 80 sponds. I ordered one recently from them that came with 2 guns, compressor, all the spares etc and it's perfect for modelling. They don't charge postage on the larger kits and they send via courier within a couple of days of purchase.

I have a Hasbro one that I bought for £10 and it does the job really well as long as I get the paint mix right, air brushes are very hit and miss in my experience lots of little factors affect how the paint is going to stick if it's too hot it will not apply an even coat and can be splotchy. I would also mention Army Painter they do coloured spray that does the same job and while it will cost a little bit more in the long run my friend swears by it and has gone on to win best painted at a small torniment.

RDG Tools Online have an ebay store that does good deals on airbrush starter kits but you would still be looking at spending around 80 sponds. I ordered one recently from them that came with 2 guns, compressor, all the spares etc and it's perfect for modelling. They don't charge postage on the larger kits and they send via courier within a couple of days of purchase.

Hi Just looked on their Ebay store and it looks nice. What model airbrush did you get from there?

I got one of these a little while ago and have been using it recently from priming with vallejo's airbrush primers and have tried it with a couple of regular paints when i first got it.

For its price is does what I want it to fine and the compressor is very small and quiet..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370455752491?ssP...984.m1423.l2649

Hi Just looked on their Ebay store and it looks nice. What model airbrush did you get from there?

Its pretty much the same kit as IronKobra linked to, only mine came with 2 guns. It's easily adjustable, simple to use and quiet as noted before, plus it seems happy working on thin or thick paint mixes.

Everytime ;)

.....and once you have mastered the airbrush you can do her nails with it :P

Ive got an Iwata Revolution CR. Its a fantastic airbrush and all metal so its dead easy to clean. Id really reccomend this

Hi, If you buy a cheap airbrush and use spray air it can after a year cost the same as buying a good airbrush and compressor! If you want to use it to base coat the model then I'd say use the GW spray gun! It can cover a model quickly and if you use thinners (Not water) doesn't clog too much. I (After about 2 years) decided to but an Iwata airbrush and compressor set from:

https://airbrushes.com/

I still use the GW gun to base but through the compressor so I don't have to worry about the air supply! A proper airbrush can be used at various pressures unlike cheapo ones, which is my point. Money is always a problem but I guarantee after a few months of bottled air you'll be wishing you had bought a compressor.

• 1 month later...

Cheers for this thread, almost started an exactly the same one myself :P

I think I'll get the £65 kit they do on their ebay store, as the compressor is £54 by itself anyway, and if the airbrush isn't very good then I'll order a separate brush later (Badger 105 or something).

No problem. I am going to ask my wife to get me the same one or the £79.50 one for Christmas I think.

What would you use to thin down the paints and does anyone know the rough ratio needed? Really want to spray up my dreads. I am doing a half and half scheme so will be a bit of a challenge.

Just wondering what other owners thoughts are on the supplied airbrush in the kit from RDG's ebay store ?

I'm only looking to do some base coats, with all the details done by normal brush techniques.

(I'm still buying the kit anyway but I was just curious!)

I ordered the two gun kit with the tank compressor from RDG last week and I picked it up yesterday. I think it is awesome for it's price and they were very kind putting a travelling adapter for the power plug into the box for free :-).

It seems perfectly adequate for basecoating and bigger models. The one downside I've found is that on one of the guns the gravity feed cup is placed on the right side of the gun and since I'm left-handed it blocks LOS.

Now I'm waiting for some colours from Vallejo, the eyedroppers on their paintbottles seem to be much easier to work with than GW's pots.

Hi,

Cheers for posting that !

I've just fired off an email to them because I've noticed that the £79.50 kits are all DIFFERENT !

So looking at their website with the airbrush descriptions, I'm trying to find a suitable kit. Basically a double action, gravity fed one, preferably with a cutt out for easier cleaning.

When I get a reply, I'll post up what I've gone for.

:P

(yeah, I stopped using GW paints in er 92 I think, mainly because of the bottle, it's awful & expensive for me at least)

for thinning paints for use in an airbrush you can use stuff like testors acrylic thinner.. but tbh i have a massive bottle of screen wash that i use because its cheaper and when used neat will clean all the component parts of my airbrush nicely.

That air brush someone mentioned on eBay, I've had that same one too since it got to me on Monday and it's a great buy I found, very quite and easy to use, I bascoated 2 rhinos and a razorback in just under an hour, may seem long but I found I had used hardly any regal blue and all 3 had a clean, smooth finish, something that brushes don't give when working on such a large flat area.

Also as this stopics on airbrushes...Vallejo model air, I've looked on their website but can't find a link or page on there to view the colour chart, can someone help me or guide me? Much appreciated if so.

Rob

I can vouch for RDG as well. I had some issues last year with the snow around christmas time and the coustomer care was exceptional.

I've not had an email back so I'm going to call them tomorrow or Monday.

But if anyone has a few moments, can you take a look at this page and perhaps make a suggestion as what would suit me ?

Double Action

Gravity fed

Cut out (to clean easier)

(not looking to really do any detailed work, largely just base coats)

http://www.rdgtools.co.uk/acatalog/AIR_BRUSHES_.html

• 3 weeks later...
This is very relevant to my interests, so I'm very curious about how you get on with this.

I have several models that I don't really want to paint manually...

Absolutely feel your pain, I've just got back from buying some extra things I needed from Seans (www.snmstuff.co.uk), so now going down into the garage to heat it up and set up some kind of booth :D

Archived