Starting Deathwing, need creative input.

Pirog

Hi!

I am soon starting my Deathwing army. I'll be doing a footslogging army, the list is already done.

I'll do something extra with this army too. My plan is to blog the army progress along with some minor novels, battle reports and what not. I'll do my best to actually give this army a personality.

To promote this even more, I'll let every single terminator have his unique head as far as it is possible and also every model will be treated as a character when it comes to the painting.

The conversions will not be many though, I'll save the converting for Belial, the Chaplain etc.

However, what I now need help with. As I will treat every seperate model as it's own, I also want to give them alot of attention when it comes to painting and basing. The bases will be made of mostly cork.

So, what type of bases would you like to see for a somewhat weathered band of Deathwing Terminators? I imagine them having been on that particular planet and campaignt that the base will speak of for a long time.

I've been thinking lava bases. It looks cool, and I could see these hardened warriors being on this harsh lava planet fighting an overwhelming enemy forever and ever.

City bases? Don't think so, been doing it on my current Dark Eldar army.

Swamp bases? Been thinking about it.

Desert bases? Nope, afraid it will not give enough contrast due to the color of the Deathwing armor.

Snow? Nah, as I will be doing that on my Ogre Kingdoms army later.

Ideas? Comments?

Another idea is an alien world where the colors of it can pop the DW out. A cool color like blues and purples come to mind. There are also Ash Wastes, Space Hulk, Jungle and Forest bases.

Damaged tilework may also be a viable option.

I'll make my own bases, but I'll check the website out for inspiration. Thanks!

I am going for lava bases as for now atleast. But more like an "ordinary" earthlike planet, erupting like a vulcano, and burning away.

So, anyone know how to paint burning wood? Or more like, glowing wood? I'm thinking of having a few spots of blackened grass, maybe what's left of a burning tree on some bases etc.

My suggestion on the burning/burnt landscape: paint the tree (or stump) as normal, then add scorching using Scorched Brown as the lightest color and deepening to a charcoal black. Ash on logs that hasn't fallen off is usually a bright grey to white, and you could have fallen ash on the ground in a similar color around the trunk/stump. Glowing embers are generally going to glow more strongly in slight wind, so you may want to couple a breeze/blowing wind effect on the model (have any cloth on the model swaying the same direction, limbs of trees/grass slightly bent/moving in the same direction) with the side of the model showing the glowing embers (use a blood reddish color highlighted with bright oranges).

If the world is having a volcanic eruption, I wouldn't put lava necessarily on every base, but have a lot of scorching.

Good luck, sounds like a very interesting project!

agreed on the base, i do like it visually.

gameplay-wise though, the height to which it boosts your model causes some concern for me as it may affect gameplay with them, whether for better (letting you see over some terrain) or worse (making you more visible for the enemy). even though it's maybe just an inch, especially if you plan to replicate this army-wide, it could result in things like having infantry who could possibly see over the top of a rhino chasis, while a bolter marine would be a stretch for this to occur, cyclone missile launchers on top of termies might encroach on it.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I forgot alittle about my thread here.

First. Here's the Dreadnought finished:

http://tinandplastics.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/imag0094.jpg

http://tinandplastics.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/imag0095.jpg

Second. I'll try to get some close-ups on the base up for you!

Third. Aye, I see your concern. However I am more of a painter than a gamer. When I play my matches I play them in my local club, either with one of my friends that are as much casual-gamers as I am and don't care about the bases or with some other player that I doubt will care either if I know them right.

My Dark Eldar are based the same way, on cork bases, because I like the looks of it. The few times the basing has been an issue in an actual match we have either just said "They can't shoot/be shot there, because they wouldn't be visible without their bases." or "They can shoot over there, but they can also be shot with/without cover save allowed."

I'm not a tournament gamer, if I ever play a tournament it will be at the local club where the bases as mentioned have never, and probably will never, be an issue. :D

Archived