Who gets a banner? Who gets personal heraldry?

he_plays_guitar

So I'm finally taking on the task of building a Dark Angels army, and I'm starting with the characters first, doing the main guys in the codex, as well as the upgrade guys (sergeants, apothecary, banner bearer, etc.) What I am wondering is this: Who gets a banner? I know in the codex it shows Azrael, Ezekiel, Asmodai, etc. with a banner, but what about the other guys? Do you give your sergeants banners? Does every sergeant get one? Do you give your veterans banners? Chapter Masters? What about the Company Champion, Apothecary, Chaplains, Librarians...?

I guess I like the look of the banners and I would like to get some input on who gives banners to whom? If you look through the codex, some of the art has a ridiculous amount of banners present...and I kind of like that.

Let me know, and post pictures!

So, I don't play DA and thus don't know if there is anything specific about their heraldry that would prevent it...but I know what I do for my DIY.

Some of my sergeants get backpack banners. In particular, if the model would look cool with it or (my favorite reason) if a model performed exceptionally well for a string of games (for instance, a sergeant taking down one to two Dreadnoughts in a game, or going solo against more than one unit and taking them down, etc.) then the serg gets a banner.

I do not do this for rank and file troops or veterans who are not going to lead a unit ever. A banner is a nice WYSIWYG way of having a model stick out...and really it can denote a Captain as much as a Sergeant...really, in my mind, it denotes hero.

My preference is for as many back-banners as possible. I like the imagery of the Dark Angels, and to me this centres around the robes and banners - as much monastic as heraldric. As a rule of thumb for battle and reserve companies, I give the Sergeant and a single Veteran of every squad a banner. The banner-bearing veteran becomes the 'squad leader' of the second combat squad if I choose that option. The banners also help identify the squad.

For the Ravenwing I only have the company banner - back banners would look rather odd on bikes, besides each bike already has a winged banner. I'm still undecided about the Deathwing... I think I'd prefer to put a back banner on each sergeant as well.

I will generally put a banner on each character, with some exceptions. I removed a banner from my Ezekiel as I didn't like the effect, but I have a banner for Belial.

For heraldry, I will try and come up with something for each model of Sergeant rank and higher. Some of the individual Deathwing and some squad veterans will get a simple heraldic design at times.

Belial:

http://home.alphalink.com.au/~trispowl/DA/DA_Belial.jpg

Tac squad:

http://home.alphalink.com.au/~trispowl/DA/DA_Tac1_2.jpg

Cheers :D

Banners always fit in well with the Dark Angel look.

I was looking at somebody's Deathwing army the other day on here the other day, and he had a banner for each of his Dreadnoughts, each showing the last moments of the dead Angel's life. It looked really good, but I can't remember where it was or how I came by it, and I can't find the topic. <_<

EDIT: Found it. It's Mortarion's army. Here

I went another way. Before the Robe Frenzy of the DA, I used to get the backpacks with sculpted cloaks and paint the cloaks as the banner. This is hinted at with the sculpted Company Master. So I began using the cloaks as the banner. Since our leaders would lead from the front, the cloak would face backward to identify them to those that are following them. Not to mention that you can easily see them from you edge of the table whereas the banners are facing your enemy/camera.

I'm in the other camp and not a fan of banners. I just feel like they would be awkward or cumbersome in battle (though better to have them mounted to your back than carrying them) and in real life, break off too much, hehe. Instead for sarges, I simply use a back pack icon, but I can't say they don't look good - Redemptor Araphel those are top notch and I like the idea of having the two for combat squads.

HQs all have their respective banners, and I believe they would be the only ones that may have personal heraldry on them. I think it may be noted that Terminators are permitted to use personal heraldry - perhaps in the way of heraldry sheilds - but I could see Terminator Sergeants given such a right.

I don't think regular company sergeants would be able to incorporate personal heraldry into their banner but would have a company/squad banner nonetheless. Obviously Banner Bears, be them carrying the banner or having it mounted on their backs (which makes most sense if a banner has to be present, yet ironically, my DW banner bearer just carries it in hand), have a whole different set of banners.

I give my squad leaders/sergeants and characters backpack banners.I think its like a tradition to the marines.However i dont like the libbys and chaplains without one.I am toying with the dread idea but i dont believe ill have all my dreads have banners,perhaps those who prove themselves in battle.

Archived