RT era Techmarines

I have a couple of RT era techmarines, the ones with a hand on their right shoulderpad:

http://www.solegends.com/citcat911/c2008smmarines-01.jpg

But does anyone know how they were painted back in the day, I haven't really found anything in the Rogue Trader books, maybe it was mentioned in a white dwarf or something,

but I'd like to paint them in a RT appropiate colourscheme if possible. Were techmarines already red back then, and what's up with that creepy hand shoulderpad anyway?

Anyway any help would be appreciated

Usually red shoulder claw/hand as the old techmarines just got a standard armour colour scheme for the chapter IIRC.

Lots of really horrible old sculpts there. I remember seeing them back in the day and thinking :).

The creepy hand looked ridiculous on the TMs and the crozius and chaplains in general looked comical.

I'm pretty sure some of the sculpts were by Bob Olley + The Morrisons which explains a lot.

I'd just sell them for stupid cash on ebay and buy some decent figures tbh.

If memory serves the hands on those minis were usually painted flesh or bone - I think they were supposed to be trophies from xenos or mutants. The Space Marines Paint Set guide showed all four chapters with yellow hands painted onto their shoulderpads - otherwise just chapter colours but with 'industrial style markings' here and there (chevroned helmet stripe on the space wolf etc)

Archived