Tycho's Gold

BOBMAKENZIE

So I was flipping through the Blood Angel Codex and I noticed Tycho's gold is rather different from what I've seen before on a model. Its brighter or something maybe? It looks to me as though it must be NMM (Or some kind of crazy metallic gold applied like NMM system maybe?) Im not a great painter but it certainly makes me wonder. SO anyone have any Thoughts?

here is a LINKY in case you arent familiar with him

It's a brilliant example of NMM, one of the best Eavy Metal has done.

The Sanguinor NMM is more like the norm, which is still good, but doesn't 'shine' like Tycho does.

Don't ask me how to do it. I see stuff like that, look at my primed HQ, think 'whats the point' and put my brush down.

Don't ask me how to do it. I see stuff like that, look at my primed HQ, think 'whats the point' and put my brush down.

Exact same here ;)

Ah well if its just a prime example of NMM I guess I'll give up and return to looking dumb (This thread didnt help XD)

Maybe oggle tycho some more...

For gold pieces I use Liquid Gold Leaf. It puts a very very thin layer of gold on whatever you paint. Then I wash it with a dark Brown to take a little of the shine off. It normally looks good but then again I am not going to be entering an a painting contest anytime soon (like ever).

I dont think that is NMM, rather I think it is metallic paint, applied in a NMM fashion. If you look closely on the chest and face, also some parts of the legs you can actually see the reflective pigment. I would say all the GW golds were used, plus the some washes, mithril, maybe some tin bits, and some various browns and black.

Ashton

It's a brilliant example of NMM, one of the best Eavy Metal has done.

The Sanguinor NMM is more like the norm, which is still good, but doesn't 'shine' like Tycho does.

I hear you dude. But someone were to do a decent NMM tutorial I'd def have a go.

Added to the above, the technique they specifically used for this mini is detailed in one of the newer White Dwarfs (can't remember which # but it was around time release of C:BA), it has a white cover with a Blood Angel on it.

I have the WD that is from the launch of C:BA, and they have an article on painting the Sanguinor, not Tycho. I also have the one with the cover you mention (it's from Feb 2011, #373), but that has nothing on Tycho either.

does it mention what method they used to paint the Sanguinor? I still think it is NMM painted with metallics

Ashton

Actually, I didn't look at the Sanguinor article closely. They don't go into detail about how they painted Tycho, but they do show two versions: one with metallics and one with NMM. The one that is in the picture in the OP is the NMM version. They also do the Sanguinor in NMM in the article.

Archived