The Mantis Warriors - A Badab War Log

Pfreck

• 5 months later...

Thanks guys!

I finally managed to finish the Contemptor Dreadnought for my Mantis Warriors, just in time for The Fang Painting Competition 2013 – I placed second in the Warhammer 40,000 Vehicle category! The reason the model turned out semi-glossy is because I didn’t shake my Lahmian Medium before usage.. I’m scared to use matt varnish as I’ve heard it usually ruins the metallics – any suggestions for a matt varnish that is safe to use?

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f323/Pfreck/MantisWarriors_Contemptor_II_zps22cfbf5e.jpg

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f323/Pfreck/MantisWarriors_Contemptor_III_zpseed2e7a3.jpg

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f323/Pfreck/MantisWarriors_Contemptor_IV_zps21e45d17.jpg

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f323/Pfreck/MantisWarriors_Contemptor_V_zps5113a919.jpg

You might try a satin varnish of some sort. Vallejo's airbrush version is pretty decent from what I understand, and Windsor and Newton also makes a satin varnish that you might want to check out and give a shot.

These guys look fantastic. The length of time between updates makes them all the more sweet when they finally arrive.

These are some very nice Mantis Warriors - makes me want some of my own. You've got a good mastery of sponging as well, the placement of the chipping is nicely done without being too over the top.

Thanks guys!

I finally managed to finish the Contemptor Dreadnought for my Mantis Warriors, just in time for The Fang Painting Competition 2013 – I placed second in the Warhammer 40,000 Vehicle category! The reason the model turned out semi-glossy is because I didn’t shake my Lahmian Medium before usage.. I’m scared to use matt varnish as I’ve heard it usually ruins the metallics – any suggestions for a matt varnish that is safe to use?

Matt varnish doesn't ruin metallics, but it does dull them. It's easy to get around though. Paint your miniature as normal, but leave off the final highlight of your metallics. Go through your normal varnishing process, using the matt last (for me it's a coat or two of gloss to toughen up the model, then matt to get rid of the horrible shine). Once the varnish has had time to dry completely, apply your final highlights on the metallic areas and your golden. Then re-gloss any areas you want shiny (eye lenses, screens, wet areas etc).

If you've got models that are already finished that you want to matt, just re-apply the final metallic highlights after the varnish.

There may also be potential for using gloss varnish on metallic areas after the matt to give them some shine, but i've never tried it myself and to be honest, I don't think it would look right unless you were going for highly polished metal. Personally I really like having most of my metal dull, as it helps give it an aged look. When you see worn metal in real life, it doesn't shine all over, but is dull in most places with edges and scratches catching the light and this technique captures that well. It works even better with rusty grimy metal.

I hope you don't mind me posting this picture to demonstrate. The Techmarine has had a matt varnish but no highlight on the metallics. As you can see, they're not ruined or anything, just dull. The Librarian has had a matt varnish and then a final highlight on the metallics. You can't really tell that the metallics on him are matt at all, although the highlight is most obvious on the gold (the steel doesn't really look that different than the matt steel on the Techmarine, but I think that's a case of poor photography and hasty picture set up :p).

gallery_61651_8231_404629.jpg

Anyway, I hope that helps you get over your fear of using matt varnish. If your still unsure you could just use a brush on matt varnish and avoid the metal areas. Of course, you should experiment a bit on a model you don't care about before subjecting your Mantis Warriors to a new technique like this. it'd be horrible for it to not work out and ruin one of them.

Also, just in case your wondering, the matt I use is Testors Dulcoat - I can't recommend it enough. I have no idea how easily obtainable it is in the Netherlands, but you can get it in the UK easily enough and there's suppliers over here that will ship to the Netherlands.

Archived