Magnetizing Shoulder Pads

Gaeus Marius

I am magnetizing my TDA Wolf Lord and his retinue, but I only have the set of 5 FW shoulder pads and don't want to have to buy the entire conversion kit several more times just to get more. I had thought of magnetizing them as well, but the question is how? There is no room to drill, and the curvature of the pads means that flat pieces of metal wont work either. Any advice on how this could be done?

I considered magnetizing shoulder plates in the past (for my GK, for the reason of limited shoulder pad numbers) but instead magnetized wrists/arms leaving the shoulder plates affixed.

If you really want to magnetize the shoulder plates themselves, I would mount the magnets in the shoulder plates with GS, cut the upper halves of the arms and affix them to the body so that whatever arm would be covered by the shoulder plate is effectively gone.

Again, I saw this being a massive pain, so I instead used very slender magnets and drilled into forearms and hands: this was possible as GK TDA arms are nice and beefy. Not true for power armor arms I fear. ;)

Never thought of that, but it does seem to be a painful process. I already have a bunch of magnets for the arms, etc. Never thought of doing the wrists either, but I will look into it. I had actually planned on doing the same thing for my heavy weapons PA Marines, adjusting the shoulder pads based on duty in a Tactical Squad/ Devastator Squad, as well as weapon loadouts. It gives me more options for less bits.

What I suggest is to glue the magnet to the inside of the pad, then at the matching place on the shoulder, drill a hole deep enough for two magnets. Then using a sharp knife make a crater shape in the shoulder to half the depth of your hole, then glue in the second magnet. So now you'll have magnetized shoulder pads without drilling the pads.

Or secondly, you could cut the arms just under the shoulders, above the elbows and magnetize there.

Cheers,

Jono

I just did my first round with magnetizing assault terminator shoulder pads.

The first model ended up with a small hole drilled into the inside of the pad to hold a small magnet without it sticking out, and a second magnet drilled into the outside of the arm. In the end it worked well enough.

for the second model I might try to just make a very small hole to give the magnet a place to sit, but still letting the magnet stick out of the inside of the base. I would then drill a bigger hole into the arm to hold a magnet while still leaving room for the magnet on the pad to sit inside the arm.

Based on how that goes I will decide on how to do the rest of the squad.

That seems closer to what I am looking at doing. The only problem is that you end up with 8 magnets per Terminator. I have been trying to find something flexible enough to conform to the shoulder pad, maybe the torso as well. that would mean that just the arms would have to contain actual magnets. does anyone know of anything like that? I have seen tuts where the guy cut up old hobby knife blades, but that won't work in this case. Thanks for the link Lithior, Grotsmasha is right in the fact that I don't want to have to purchase more pads (definately not all the way from the UK). But I will buy them as a last resort, so I appreciate the help, they are way cheaper than the full conversion pack. :)

I think that which ever metal you decide to use rather than a magnet may end up costing more, or the effort required to "make it work" will probably not be worth the time. I guess take a magnet to your local hardware store and start placing it on all the thin metal stuff and try to find something your happy to work with. You'll probably have to still recess what ever you choose into the shoulder as the pad wont sit right,

Cheers,

Jono

EDIT: Just had a thought maybe some smaller paper clips, running top to bottom along the shoulder might work...

After messing with the first few Terminators, I think I am just going to break down and buy another set of shoulder pads.

Of course I have the benefit of using plain old assault terminator pads, so no expensive special orders for me. Ebay to the rescue!

My original setup worked, but I just don't think that for me it is worth the trouble. If I was using special shoulder pads then I would probably continue. I also end up using more of my ForgeWorld Raven Guard transfers this way...

Archived