Lightning Claw Squad

swampyseifer

Hey all...

I'm looking to create a badass looking marine squad that looks fancy (so not basic marines), who all have jump packs and all have dual LC. I was thinking of customising the Vanguard Veteran boxset but I have two questions...

a, Is it worth paying more for the new finecast, or is getting an old metal set from the bay good enough? I've read so many forums posts about how poor the quality checking of fincasts are and how some people have had to take their purchases back to the shop 3 or 4 times to get models that arent covered in blobs, air bubbles and other such impurities. Also I've heard they bend and snap easy!

b, I assume the Vanguard set wont come with enough LC to outfit all 5 models? Can anyone advise how I could get round this?

Thanks in advance!

Finecast had some serious issues during launch but they've managed to fix most of them.

The Vanguard veterans are not that difficult to cast so I doubt they'll be any casting problems.

The problem with the metal ones are that they tip over so easily and tend to get pretty scratched up that way.

For such simple models as Space Marines finecast works great, it's mostly the thin and wiry Dark Eldar models that have serious issues.

Hey all...

I'm looking to create a badass looking marine squad that looks fancy (so not basic marines), who all have jump packs and all have dual LC. I was thinking of customising the Vanguard Veteran boxset but I have two questions...

a, Is it worth paying more for the new finecast, or is getting an old metal set from the bay good enough? I've read so many forums posts about how poor the quality checking of fincasts are and how some people have had to take their purchases back to the shop 3 or 4 times to get models that arent covered in blobs, air bubbles and other such impurities. Also I've heard they bend and snap easy!

b, I assume the Vanguard set wont come with enough LC to outfit all 5 models? Can anyone advise how I could get round this?

Thanks in advance!

Both the Stern and Van boxes in Failcast, generally, still come with significant casting issues ( here in OZ at least ). As for the Lightning Claws, no the box won't have enough, as the models are not multi-posable, they are set poses with no spare bits. Your best bet is to jump on eBay and buy some Termi ones. Just remember to cut the claws off at the wrist and put them on PA arms, because if you use the whole Terminal arm, your guys A: Won't be as posable, and B: will look like monkeys.

Cheers,

Jono

Both the Stern and Van boxes in Failcast, generally, still come with significant casting issues ( here in OZ at least ). As for the Lightning Claws, no the box won't have enough, as the models are not multi-posable, they are set poses with no spare bits. Your best bet is to jump on eBay and buy some Termi ones. Just remember to cut the claws off at the wrist and put them on PA arms, because if you use the whole Terminal arm, your guys A: Won't be as posable, and B: will look like monkeys.

Cheers,

Jono

Thanks to you both for replying.

PA arm is power armour arm?

So are you saying to cut the hands of the termies at the wrist, so I have a load of fists with claws on. Then cut the hands off the vans and attach the LCs?

Or there's the space wolf PA lightning claws if you don't mind shaving the wolf icons off them.

Also, why are you set on the vanguard when you can almost buy 2 assault squads for that price? You could get death company & have a ton of bits leftover after assembly & still have fancier looking models & still pay less for them. Would still need claws but you could get the claws & the death company for the price of the vanguard I'd wager.

Just a thought.

Hi

Thanks Jono, that would be appreciated...although I think I get what you mean, I'm sure it'll be easier to gauge when when I have all the models.

As for the vans...I dont know tbh! I certainly dont want the basic assault marines as they arent "blingin" enough for me. I did look at death company actually, so its funny you should say that...looked like there'd be quite a bit of iconography to take off tho, drops of blood on knee guards, wings and more blood on shoulder guards etc

-----

Also been thinking of getting shadow captain korvydae as well, I reckon it shouldnt be too hard to file down the shoulder guard markings and possibly the raven on his jumppack. would make another cool unit to lead the modified vans!

I know it might look weird having a TH man leading a squad of LC men...but then I need something to deal with MCs!! hah!

not that I'll be using these for battles

As for the vans...I dont know tbh! I certainly dont want the basic assault marines as they arent "blingin" enough for me. I did look at death company actually, so its funny you should say that...looked like there'd be quite a bit of iconography to take off tho, drops of blood on knee guards, wings and more blood on shoulder guards etc

Well, I haven't worked w/ the death company myself, but I have worked w/ sanguinary guard as well as the Space Hulk BA terminators & speaking from experience on those, the wings will work great for vanguard & the blood drops are easily removed or shaped into gemstones on the armor. But that's just my thoughts anyway.

OK, well maybe I'll get a set sometime. Sorry but I got my vans through the post.

Overall they're fine, there's a few messy bits. lots of lines where the molds met. the worst bit is probably is under the neck of one of the marines its just a mostly solid mess of plastic/resin/whatever, going to take a fine bit of filing and cutting to sort that out!

Oh and if you know the van model, on the jetpack there are two bars that run vertically on the inside of the jet exhausts, on one of the marines both bars are thicker than they should and squished at a funny angle.

Archived