Relic Contemptor

Captain Semper

I kinda like the Land Raider Proteus, looks like it's missing the heavy bolters though. I'm sure I could find a way to jam them in somewhere. Those old models make me wish I started playing decades ago.

It has a multy-melta instead.

Well now those guys who sold/trashed their old stuff are hacking their hands off i wager.

Same happened with the old armor marks...

Hmm, I wasn't much of a fan of the original models - the FW versions are subtly different, which is all to the good. They look much better than the originals.

That said, I still have my original 'dome top' predator.

I think the difference is the refinement that has happened from the originals until now. The tweaks are very subtle, but they are there, and it is probably due to the material, modelers either being more "refined" themselves or just new modelers with more refined techniques. The same can be said of the older armor in the form of the Mk6, the older models, while looking similar, just don't look as sleek and predatory to me, plus the models themselves have some articulation, etc. Also, the FW Mk4 also looks slightly better than the GW Mk4 pieces.

Just saw the new stuff in FW Apocalypse second edition, and I'm sad to say there is no DA pattern Contemptor. There is a BA one and a SW one but no DA one... There is a Mortis though. Oh well... And there is a close up on the torso of the Relic Contemptor and it looks even better!

Link here: Apocalypse 2

@ Bryan Blair: what do you mean FW Mk4 looks slightly better than GW Mk4? :P

Just saw the new stuff in FW Apocalypse second edition, and I'm sad to say there is no DA pattern Contemptor. There is a BA one and a SW one but no DA one... There is a Mortis though. Oh well... And there is a close up on the torso of the Relic Contemptor and it looks even better!

Link here: Apocalypse 2

@ Bryan Blair: what do you mean FW Mk4 looks slightly better than GW Mk4? :P

I think the Space Marine Contemptor Mortis Pattern Dreadnought is the closest thing you are getting to a DA pattern Contemptor.

Mmmmmmm, Mortis-pattern Heavy Conversion Beamers with attached Cyclone Launcher. :D

Yes, slightly, because I actually like the GW Mk4 BT and BA torsos, it's he heads that aren't as nice as FW's. None of it matters to me much because I still have to work out a way to buy FW stuff.

It is in FW site in the Contemptor slot. Unfortunately I cannot provide a link as I am at work. But check it out - its there...

Looked there. All I see are the Contemptor model parts and the IA: Apoc 2 2nd ed with Contemptor rules in it. Please tell me the Contemptor is not a Apoc only unit?

It is in FW site in the Contemptor slot. Unfortunately I cannot provide a link as I am at work. But check it out - its there...

Looked there. All I see are the Contemptor model parts and the IA: Apoc 2 2nd ed with Contemptor rules in it. Please tell me the Contemptor is not a Apoc only unit?

Its not and the rules are under the picture of them when you look at it.

Jury's out on the Contemptor pattern for me – they're too 'human-looking' – Dreads should be boxes on legs surely :(. But other days I love it <_< . The weapons though are awesome sauce.

The contemptor looks damn cool, but I do understand what Isiah means. They look like giant Terminators - which of course they are in a sense - and I can only assume is completely intentional.

I definitely love the Mk1 Rhino kit. It gives you that charm of the old rhinos with the added size of the current models yet improves on a couple areas that always bothered me with them, namely the old fragile smoke stacks and the very plain looking gun hatches of the old models.

That master of the forge is a pretty sweet model too. That's one I wouldn't mind converting into a Consecrator.

Sadly, I find it hard to bring myself to buying forgeworld items, they are just so darned expensive (not to mention the damn exchange rate on the British Pound).

Hey Captain Semper, have you played any games with your contemptors yet? How do you feel about the extra height as far as grabbing cover if needed.

The contemptor looks damn cool, but I do understand what Isiah means. They look like giant Terminators - which of course they are in a sense - and I can only assume is completely intentional.

I definitely love the Mk1 Rhino kit. It gives you that charm of the old rhinos with the added size of the current models yet improves on a couple areas that always bothered me with them, namely the old fragile smoke stacks and the very plain looking gun hatches of the old models.

That master of the forge is a pretty sweet model too. That's one I wouldn't mind converting into a Consecrator.

Sadly, I find it hard to bring myself to buying forgeworld items, they are just so darned expensive (not to mention the damn exchange rate on the British Pound).

Hey Captain Semper, have you played any games with your contemptors yet? How do you feel about the extra height as far as grabbing cover if needed.

:tu: Oh dear... the question I've been dreading all along! Unfortunately the answer in "no" :tu:.

The thing is my time is beyond limited... I only get some time to paint between familly & work and getting a 3-4 hour bracket in the weekend is a luxury I just can't afford at the moment... Hopefully this will change once I approach pension age in say... another 40 years? Given I live in Greece an'all... :tu:

I'm happy to discuss the large surfaces of the model that lend themselves to ones creativity - I beleive excellent free hand stuff will be surfacing soon and I'm happy to discuss background too, but to give tactical advice? I only wish...

EDIT: What do you mean turning the Master of the Forge into a Contemptor??? Actually entombing the guy or what?

Gotcha, and I totally understand... I haven't played in months myself.

EDIT: What do you mean turning the Master of the Forge into a Contemptor??? Actually entombing the guy or what?

You misread, I said into a Consecrator (as it is Astral Claws now)... but but but, I think you just unintentionally stumbled upon something, albeit mostly in Iron Hands territory perhaps - a fallen Master of the Forge entombed into an amped up Contemptor Dreadnought. It seems they do have conversion beamer. It's certainly already mechanical enough, maybe add some more techie bits and/or AdMech icons.

Gotcha, and I totally understand... I haven't played in months myself.

You misread, I said into a Consecrator (as it is Astral Claws now)... but but but, I think you just unintentionally stumbled upon something, albeit mostly in Iron Hands territory perhaps - a fallen Master of the Forge entombed into an amped up Contemptor Dreadnought. It seems they do have conversion beamer. It's certainly already mechanical enough, maybe add some more techie bits and/or AdMech icons.

With two big Servo-arms

Archived