How can i reharden plastic mins?

I have a bunch of plastic marine stuff that i got from a friend.The problem is that he had soaked them into something(IDK what really)to remove the paint.

The paint is more or less gone but the bits are like chewing gum right now!

I cant believe it really,you can literally bend them,stretch them,even remove the fingers from a termy power fist one by one!

So my question is:Can something be done to reverse this and return them to their original state(hard state?)or are they gone forever?

You can try heating (seasalt?) I forget the actualtype of salt for this, but you heat the salt, put the model in it for a certain time, then instantly dip in cold water. Similar to pouring hot wax into water..

I believe there is a topic in the tutorials for this, but I will have a look when I get home on my favorites and see if it's still in my inbox.

How long have they been out of the chemical? Are there any other reactions such as discoloration or actually melting of the plastic anywhere?

About a day or so,no discoloration or melting,they just became like rubber.I tried the freezer and it works only temporary,after they get into normal temperatures they become ruberish again.

Being that they return to the rubbery state, 1) are they legitimate GW parts or some dodgy rubber-remoulded Russian stuff (I've been caught out....more than once), 2) If GW authentic, it really sounds like a chemical reaction now and will *probably* be irreversable.

Cheers,

Jono

Sounds like your friend has used acetone or an acetone based product, because acetone is a solvent for plastics I would suspect that the process is pretty irreversible.

Try drying one on a warm radiator and see if that works, I doubt it will but can't think of anything else at the moment and unfortunately I'm off work for the next week or I would ask some of the chemistry geeks in work about it.

Probably reverted to a viscous state, I doubt much can be done on them TBH without proper catalysed conditions and treatment - what did your friend use?

From the smell i would say something like white spirit.

And they are legitimate parts.

Yeah, its White Spirit. The same thing happened to me.

It will harden, it will just take a week or so, depending on how long they were soaking for.

But the plastic may expand and look all 'blubbly', is the only way to describe it, but again that depends on how long they were being soaked for.

/Ventris.

Yeah, you could always add some burn detailing so it looks like the armour has expanded due to extreme heat. Or something like that.

I need to do something with my captain, hes been stinking out my sm bitz tub for a while.

/Ventris,

Depends on how much of the polymer was leached out by the solvent.

(plastics consist of a polymer and a plasticiser - If too much of one is removed, they either go brittle or very spongey/rubbery.)

I've had plastics stripped by acetone NEVER reharden (they just went into the bin).

Depends on how much of the polymer was leached out by the solvent.

(plastics consist of a polymer and a plasticiser - If too much of one is removed, they either go brittle or very spongey/rubbery.)

I've had plastics stripped by acetone NEVER reharden (they just went into the bin).

The good news is that ill use some of them for as damage/dead chaos marines in my DA army bases.

The bad news is that some of them were going to be used as conversion pieces that wont now :Troops:

EDIT:Some good news:They have rehardened a bit.However some details have been lost forever.

Some news in case anyone is interested:

Most of the pieces have reharden in place.So aside from an old type chainaxe the only two casualties were a bolter and a terminator powerfist which lost some detailing and has a smashed finger.

A couple of shoulder pads look like they have truly been hit by bullets so all the more to make some dead chaos marines.

Archived