Quick questions about the hobby

fawx

Hi guys

Couple of quick questions

1.Im looking at the citiadel glue price tag and its very expensive. Is there any alternatives to it that are cheaper?

2.What is the best way to strip paint from GW minatures? Where can I get the products needed?

3. Can standard GW plastic glue be used on metal models?

Thanks guys

1) Use zapagap, loctite or any other superglues for metal/resin models and for the plastics I use Revell or Humbrol ply cement with the needle applicator, both are much cheaper than GW equivalents

2) Depends what models - metals use paint stripper as it will really strip them down - Castrol superclean works as well. For all models, Simple Green or Dettol/Pinesol are good (both are available in tthe UK if you know where to look..)

3) No plastic glue will NOT work on metal models r joining metal or resin to plastic. You need to use a 2-part epoxy glue like Araldite, or a superglue like Loctite, and I recommend pinning the pieces together for larger metal components.

1. For plastics, any model shop should sell polystyrene cement or liquid poly, which are usually cheaper than the GW equivalent. The plastic models are made of hard polystyrene, and the poly cement works by slightly melting both surfaces and welding them into one when they're pushed together. This is basically the same stuff as GW plastic glue. For metals and resin you want to use superglue - for which any brand should suffice.

2. For metal minis, something called Nitromors gives very good results, but its pretty toxic - don't breathe the fumes and don't get it on your hands. It will dissolve plastics though. For plastics, I've never done it, but people sopmetimes use brake fluid or something called simple green. I don't know about stripping resin models.

3. No. Plastic glue only works on plastics. You need superglue for metals and resin, such as finecast.

OKay thanks for the fast replies

What if im in Aus

"2) Depends what models - metals use paint stripper as it will really strip them down - Castrol superclean works as well. For all models, Simple Green or Dettol/Pinesol are good (both are available in tthe UK if you know where to look..)"

"2) Depends what models - metals use paint stripper as it will really strip them down - Castrol superclean works as well. For all models, Simple Green or Dettol/Pinesol are good (both are available in tthe UK if you know where to look..

Edit: added quote

Archived