Company Veterans with shields

Grand Master Malachi

Rewrote my usual armylist for 1750 pts the other day and decided to drop the Deathwing infavor of something I hadn't used before. Company Vets seemed like an interesting choice, but before I equipped them I was wondering if anyone here had used them with either kind of shield they can take before. Anyone have any experience with them?

My Vet Squad of Doom...

10 man Veteran Squad... 490 pt Deathstar...

Vet with PW & BP & CS & MB

Vet with PW & BP & CS

Vet with PW & BP & CS

Vet with TH & BP & SS

Vet with TH & BP & SS & MB

Vet with MG & BP & SS

Vet with CW & BP & SS

Vet with CW & BP & SS & MB

--- 3 MG Shots, 7 BP shots

--- 20 PW attacks at Str4/Init 4

--- 4 Regular Attacks at Str4/Init 4

--- 4 TH attacks at Str 8/Init 1

7 Different models for wound allocation, 5 3++, 5 6++ saves

Costs ~ same as 2 DW units

Can sweeping advance, and all fit in one LR, also could Combat Squad...

Some will say that the CS are a waste of points, but for 25 pts, but roll 5 Inv saves you should save one marine if in a pinch.

Since all of the Vets are more than 25 pts...

That makes the points back imo.

I also like using the MB's to give the PW and MG's a chance to assault and wreck vehicles.

No Vehicle should ever survive an assault by this unit.

Only true CC units with 5+ init have a good chance vs it.

That's a nasty unit to come piling out of a Land Raider, though dropping one guy and putting in a Chaplin makes them UBER foul on the charge. Glad to see they are all armed to take advantage of their stats too(i.e. the +1 Attack). ;) That's the kind of unit I wouldn't mind fielding against the local BA player, just to see the look on his face. :lol: As Brother Landrain said, if you make just a single combat shield save, the cost for them will have been more than paid for.

I would suggest using them like the Codex Vanguard in a transport, given the 0-3 limit has been removed from combat upgrades.

Storm shields are a must for any wannabe melee unit. You don't need to give everyone one, that gets pricey, but four or five should soak up wounds pretty well.

10 guys, 4 storm shields, 2 power fists (preferably on storm shield guys), 2 power weapons (on non-storm shield guys) will set you back 340 points. Add a Rhino for 35 and they're rolling for 375. If you're spending enough points that people ask "why not a Deathwing squad?" you should really think again. 5 thunder hammer Deathwing with a cyclone, plus a Land Raider Crusader are 485 points which provides a good baseline.

If you want to drop the points throw Az in there and drop the SS, he gives them all a 4+ invul. You can put him up front in an assault to get the STR6 attacks or leave him in the rear so he might not make it into contact and cant be killed, ensuring you get one more round of 4+ saves.

Az + 10 vets w/pw will almost wipe a 5 man TH/SS unit on the charge.

Yeah that's some points investment there but since you will take only one or two wounds on the return you can do it over and over again in a game.

Archived