Modelling entire chapters

ShasVa

Has anyone here ever attempted to model an entire chapter of Space Marines?

I'm thinking of doing such a thing with the Salamanders (all 7 companies, plus named characters not featured in the dex), but I'd first like to know the opinions of anyone who has done this before, whether you finished it or not.

Also, how do you know how many tanks, dreads and transports to give each company? I've found plenty of info saying what the Salamanders companies get for support, but not how many of each or of what type. It is confusing.

Does each company also get its own Librarian, Techmarine, and Chaplain?

Just need to know more info b4 I go ahead and (hopefully not) waste money.

The only time I've seen something like this completed, was the GW Ultra Chapter in the 3rd/4th Ed codex. My suggestion is to grab that codex to use as a template for numbers of tanks, dread etc. Typically each company had a Captain, Chaplain and Apothecary. Librarians, again typically, are never permanently assigned to a company, rather loaned out as needed on a mission by mission basis. Techmarines are in the same boat as Librarians, as far as assignment goes.

Cheers,

Jono

C:SM 3e and C:BA 5e have chapter rosters that are relatively detailed (for the UM and BA respectively).

I'd recommend against it. It's a hell of a lot of Marines, and you won't get to actually play with them that often. And it's even more Salamanders Green.

Even when I was playing and hobbying with the Tau, I wanted to build up a massive Cadre. From the basic FW right up to a Manta ship! Likewise with my Altaverse project (a 40k story like the Dornian Heresy), every facet of the Imperium was going to be represented.

So my "problem" I guess is that I like to think big. I don't know if that is a good or bad thing. :o ;)

EDIT: I've just had some inspiration. You're right, replicating an entire chapter wouldn't be worth it long-term, or financially. Instead, I'm going to replicate only a few select companies. They will be the 1st, 2nd and 7th. Tu'Shan will lead them, and He'Stan will feature, as will Vel'cona, Elysius, Argos, Harath Shen, and Bray'arth Ashmantle. All companies will conform to their chapter structure as outlined in the Armageddon codex.

Is replicating three companies a much better idea than trying to replicate the entire chapter??

I don't think its worth all the effort.

IMO pick out your fav company and build that in full.

I'm planning on doing just that with my ultramarines.

Build a couple of cool characthers and then build the company :lol:

Good luck no matter what you choose.

According to the 5th edition codex, and Salamders are a "codex" chapter each company has;

1 Captain

1 Chaplain

1 Command Squad

2 Deradnoughts

6 Full Tactical squads w/ Rhino's

2 Full Assault Squads

2 Full Devastator Squads w. Rhino's

I am currently building the Imperial Fist 5th Company. I am only missing 10 more Assault Marines, and 20 more Tactical Marines, though I have a bunch of AOBR marines lying around that I might just break down and use for the 5th and 5th squads.....

Ashton

Its a lot of Marines, more than I'd want to ever have in one place. To give you an idea, the 3rd Edition Space Marines codex shows the entire Ultramarines chapter as of the end of 2nd Edition (and shortly before Maccrage) in two pictures. Its FREAKING HUGE. In addition to the full company loadouts (with one rhino for each assault squad on top of them having jump packs), they had like a dozen Land Raiders (mind you, these were RT-era LRs so they were only marginally bigger than a Rhino), umpteen Land Speeders, three Thunderhawks, loose techmarines with weapons platforms, and all that.

Stick to something more manageable, like a Battle Company or something.

I am building a chapter, my own but it will be a chapter. I have all of the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and most of the 8th companies. I started it about 8 years ago and would of had more but codex changes. I also have a line on my 5th company but haven't bought it yet. The thing that is killing me is the price increases and buying enuff tanks.

Archived