An Aspirant's Greeting

Ground Cloud

Hello,

I'm new to this forum, having only discovered it a few days ago. I'm pretty new to the GW hobby in general, having only discovered it via a friend about a year ago. I looked through all the different armies back then and wasn't too sure what I was going to take: the nice new shiny Codecii or the fluff-cool ones (which to me are the older ones). I decided a couple of weeks ago that I did like the look of Dark Angels compared to other more "mainstream" Chapters (don't get me started on Blood Angels ;)) and so I thought I'd paint up a small force and see how it goes ;)

So, as things stand now, I'll be ordering some stuff to get a small army going. I'm not too sure what the normal point limit for small games is in my gaming group, but I think it's 500 or 600. Will check ASAP. But one problem does remain: the army list.

As Dark Angel stuff is more expensive than say Codex: Space Marines, it does somewhat limit your choices for a small game. So I've come here for a bit of guidance from older Battle-Brothers :)

I thought of running Ezekial with two Tactical Squads in Rhino's (one Tactical squad with flamer and missile launcher, the other with meltagun and missile launcher. No Sergeant upgrades). The total of this is 605 points, but I don't know if it's viable. Could it work or should I change some stuff? Oh, and my main opponents will be Orks, I just thought I'd mention that :)

Looking forward to getting some replies :)

Cheers,

GC

Welcome to the Rock Ground Cloud.

Running Ezekial is viable and he's a great model. The problem with him is that he's expensive for what he does, and one of his psychic powers (Mind Worm) is treated as a heavy weapon - meaning he can't move or assault after using it. Neither of which are deal breakers, but for small games something to bear in mind as the HQ will be expected to perform firing on all cylinders. For that reason I think in your position I'd go for a Chaplain (maybe with combi-melta and melta bombs) or a Company Master (with storm bolter and power weapon). Also, with both Rhinos full of Tac squad - how is the character going to deploy? You are forcing yourself into combat-squadding one of your tac squads to fit the HQ in the transport.

500 or 600 points does sound very small for a regular 40K game though.

Anyway apologies for the ramble :angry:. Best of luck with your DA.

Cheers

I

Sammael in his landspeeder, RW command squad (3bikes) with apothecary flamer & plasma gun, RW squad (3 bikes) with flamer & plasma gun. 500 on the nose. :P cackles madly :(

Ahem.

Um, yeah, knowing how many points makes a huge difference. (600? Just add an attack bike to each squad above! AHAHAHAHAHA!)

Sorry. Just using a deep-striking flying land raider with twin-linked assault cannons and TL heavy bolters in a small points game amuses me. Although it would tear up hordes of orks......

Sorry. Just using a deep-striking flying land raider with twin-linked assault cannons and TL heavy bolters in a small points game amuses me. Although it would tear up hordes of orks......

Or waste you the game since one meltatype shot is loosing half your army.

Welcome to the rock brother.500 points though small for 40k is great to get you going.

You should start looking for heavy support choices from where you stand.Either vehicles or devs(propably vehicles though)

Bikes are too good too,but you need to get the hang of the game in order to use them effectively.

Greetings and welcome, Brother. Good luck with your gaming/painting and have fun!

I have to ask though, isn't Ground Cloud just fog? I would hate your name to become a murky situation. :P

We need Deathwing Plains World totem icons on here, I think yours could be a stone with a cloud on it with lightning around the edges or something. B)

We need Deathwing Plains World totem icons on here, I think yours could be a stone with a cloud on it with lightning around the edges or something. :rolleyes:

Yep Ground Cloud does sound very Plains World Deathwing type name.

Isiah: Thank you for explaining all of that to me, never really thought about Mind Worm, and the suggestion of alternate HQ is appreciated ;) The 5/600 point games are to get me going in the game. When I get to grips with the rules, then I'll probably expand to 1000/1500 points!

Brother-Sergeant Bohemond: You can rely on me to keep my lips sealed ;)

stonhinge: Cheers for the suggestion, but I've heard that pure RW, pure DW and RW/DW mix are quite common so I'd like to go down the more irregular route :)

Brother Immolator: Thanks for the advice! Will ponder upon that.

Bryan Blaire: Thanks for the welcome! As for Ground Cloud, I'll explain when I have time ;) Have to dash!

GC

I have to ask though, isn't Ground Cloud just fog? I would hate your name to become a murky situation. ;)

We need Deathwing Plains World totem icons on here, I think yours could be a stone with a cloud on it with lightning around the edges or something. :)

So, for my name, it stems from a random thought. As for a totem, I would just love that :)

GC

Small kick to this thread.

I've come up with a different 600 point army list, taking into account some of the above advice:

- Company Master w/ storm bolter, power weapon (120 points)

- Tactical Squad (10) w/ plasma gun; missile launcher (190 points)

- Tactical Squad (5) w/ meltagun; Rhino (135 points)

- Tactical Squad (5) w/ flamer; power fist; Rhino (155 points)

Total: 600 points

Thoughts?

GC

Edit: I know that this is, for the moment at least, a thread where I'm posting my army list and it should go in the Army List section, but I'll also be posting my painting efforts here too, so please don't move it mods, thanks :tu:

You draft list should work quite nicely, although an alternative to a missile launcher might be a heavy bolter (good for killing orks) although the missile launcher is more versatile.

In terms of buying stuff you essentially want two tactical squad boxes and a company master box (good for extra bits). Instead of buying two rhinos, you could consider buying a Razorback kit and a Whirlwind kit. If you leave the top hatches off you can use them as either rhinos or as a razorback and whirlwind. Whilst you're starting out that versatility may be particularly useful, plus you will have the chance to try out a greater range of models to see how they fit.

On a more game based front I find Land Speeders to be good value in low point games. Good firepower and manoeuvrability can be invaluable against footslogging orks.

Have fun and welcome!

Welcome to the Rock!

In terms of buying stuff you essentially want two tactical squad boxes and a company master box (good for extra bits).

If you did go this route, and if you're willing to fork out a little extra, a good Bitz company can supply good bits and pieces for adding a bit of Dark Angels texture to a Master. This, whilst it'd add about £3.60 to your model, would allow you to make your leader much more Unforgiven-like. Packaging is a main cost though (£1.60 on that site), so if you buy a few bits at the same time it's better value.

I poke you in this direction. :D

Gillyfish: Cheers for the reply! And thanks for the Rhino advice too, never thought of that. Will think about the Land Speeders too. But what's the Company Master box? I've never seen that one before :D

Brother Immolator: I'll keep the missile launcher then ;)

Zincite: Thank you for the welcome ;) Sadly, I don't really have any way of ordering from bitz companies for many reasons, but cheers for the suggestion anyway.

GC

Archived