Airbrush Ventilation

Joasht

I'm considering investing in an airbrush, but it got me thinking about ventilation. I'd generally use acryllics (probably citadel/P3) which don't generally have a whole lot of solvents in them (I guess theres still some) but less than enamels, which seem to be common choices for airbrushing.

How much protection/ventilation is advised for using an airbrush with acryllics? I'd surely get a good mask, but its now just a matter of if I need to say, do it outdoors (not practical) or buy a fume hood....or at least a huge fan blasting away behind me to blow most of the aerolized paint away from me.

Thanks!

I made a mini spray booth out of a wodenbox

I have no batteries otherwise ide take a pic...

Used some furnace filter on the top of the box to keep paint from wrecking the fan. Then i mounted the fan on up, added some dryer duct long enuf to make it to a window and voila... works like a charm and I can airbrush anywhere in my house...

Honestly I just spray into a cardboard box and even inside of that I notice almost no overspray. I do wear a nice respirator though that I picked up from the hardware store. It isn't solvents that I am worried about with acrylics, it is inhaling atomized paint particles that get into my lungs. I do usually try and do it when its nice out so I can have the windows open and maybe even a fan just for good measure, but since I live in a cold area necessity dictates that I spray during the winter also. I don't feel uncomfortable spraying in my house as long as I wear the respirator, but I also live alone so I don't have to worry about other people while I am actually airbrushing.

I have an industrial spray booth.

The frame is 1" square tube steel.

The booth is 3mm ABS sheet (scrap) 4' wide, 3' deep and tall.

The extractor is an industrial blower salvaged from a polishing shop (they replaced it with a newer one, but this one still works fine).

65,000cfm is sufficient to move paint fumes.

I also live in a light industrial area, so noise isn't an issue.

Archived