Press Molds (Milliput)

appiah4

I have a lot of models and/or bitz that are out of print and very hard to come by.

I also want to be able to mass produce some things like ordo mechanicus and blood angels symbols.

I happen to own a good amount of milliput through some impulse purchasing.

Could someone point me to resources about how to achieve this without ruining my models and bitz?

link 1

&

link 2

Alternatively you can substitute the instant mold for greenstuff + oil (to help release the cast).

Thanks, but I was wondering if I can use the milliput for making the molds as well as casting (using a release agent of course, olive oil maybe?) but these mostly relate to using silicone putty molds (instant mold etc.)

Was I being too hopeful?

When you mix up the green stuff for the press model, add more hardener(blue), at least 60/40, and when you mix up the greenstuff to make the casting, do the reverse, using less hardener.

You will want to use some kind of release agent(both to make the press mold and then the casting), and I just make use of some of the cooking oil from the kitchen.

Milliput is not compatible for making moulds of bitz and symbols as it dries too hard to be able to bend it to ease out the moulded symbol etc.. Milliput castings would be difficult to cut to shape.

Greenstuff works much better, and also holds detail better. Also, if the casting is trimmed up carefully, it will be easier to fit and glue on curved surfaces - such as shoulder pads etc.

For a release agent, I use Vaseline/petroleum jelly. You only need a very fine amount of release agent otherwise you will lose detail on the casting.

Leave the press mould attached to the original bit/symbol for 24 hours to ensure it is fully hardened and doesn't distort when removing it.

In the same vein, when making a casting, leave it in the mould for at least 5 hours, but preferably 12 hours to harden enough. If you follow the 60/40 and 40/60 rule already mentioned you should be able to bend the edges of the mould or casting and ease the casting out.

Archived