DA Competitive?

azrael305

Whats going on all just a thought - I rarely seem to lose when playing at my local shop and amongst friends (and the only games i have really lost/tied have been team games). I want to get your feedback on the competetiveness of our favorite green angels.

I guess it would be easier to break it down into a few buckets:

Deathwing

Ravenwing

Greenwing

Mixed (dual, tri, etc)

How do you guys personally fare in your gaming experience (will clarify to 5th ed rules)?

Recently played my Deathwing in a partners tournament 1k pts apiece. My partner played SOB. We ended up 2 wins and a loss. We honestly should have won all three but we only had a 5 min warning before the end of the game. We ended at the bottom of turn 4, all we needed was our turn 5 to finish off and get the win. In the end we took 2nd or 3rd and Best General.

DA have seen a nice surge in competitiveness since their FAQ. We've recently had a DA placing first in the ard boyz semi's but I believe that's the biggest tournament they've won. I'm not sure how they did in the other big tournaments recently.

I don't think they are as strong as the top tier codex's but they are still able to compete with even them. If you play very well you've got a shot at taking a tournament with DA right now.

The issue with DA is the only highly competitive build is some variation on Deathwing. This list is fairly strong, but has severe matchup issues against some other armies. Mainly Orks and Dark Eldar. Some GK builds also give DW trouble. Primarily anything that has a large volume of attacks/shots causes issues for DW.

DW are also a hard army to win Battle point tourneys with as they tend not to table opponents, and as such often don't achieve max battle points.

What breng77 says is the gist of it. Between low mobility, vulnerability to mass shots/attacks, and few sources for target priority (we can basically target ~8-10 things a turn whereas modern armies can target ~20) we have some severe limitations in the top tier. That being said, we have the most durable troop unit available in 5th Edition, and one of the best close combat troops in the game.

Ravenwing are too fragile to sustain a firefight with most modern lists, but have an awesome advantage in firepower in the first couple of turns. Greenwing has some decent uses with 5-man Tac squads, but Assault Marines are too costly and lack options. Devs are ok, even if they are expensive. Overall they lack efficiency.

A mixed force based around Deathwing allows you to overcome some of the DW's weaknesses and that's where the strength of our book lies. It is competitive, but sits on a tier just below the top 5th Edition books due to the list's inherent weaknesses. Still, if you take the time to learn it and the opposing armies, you can definitely be successful with them.

It's been a long time from the Rock but I'm back and will be posting a thread about my recent exploits at a team challenge event at Maelstrom games in the near future. Had a great time and enjoyed my games a lot, in the end I only managed two wins, three draws and one loss out of the six games but every one was enjoyably close and entertaining.

Dark angels are competitive, they don't have any of the potent or nasty tricks that the newer armies have, nor the resilient potential of some of the similarly older books but they can still make a game of it against any opponent. I don't believe you need Belial or Sammael either though it does help to field a squad of Ravenwing and/or Deathwing to fill out your options and make the army 'feel' more distinctly like a Dark angel force compared to a regular marine army.

The games were 1650pts and I faced two Blood angel armies, space marines, chaos daemons, space wolves and chaso space marines. My only loss was to the daemons and pretty much every game came down to the wire with things capable of going either way. (On a light-hearted and ever-so slightly smug note one of my wins was against the space wolf army. :) )

I've been very much out of the 40K tournament scene for a while now and still need experience playing some of the newest 40K armies like Dark eldar and Grey knights but my games at Maelstrom against Blood angels and Space wolves left me very much convinced that the Unforgiven still have plenty of scope for competitive lists. Even if those lists may be more difficult to get the most out of compared to other armies it doesn't make their potential any less.

One amusing anecdote from a few of my games was that my opponents thought force barrier (my single HQ was a librarian) was a good psychic power. :P My librarian and Deathwing outdid themselves in more than one game. (Never knock the psychic hood!)

Well, I took best Imperial General at Battle for Blob's Park. They gave best overall (battle points + painting), best Imperial general (most battle points to an Imperial player), and best Xenos general (most battle points to a non-Imperial player). If they would have only given 1 best general the Xenos player would have gotten it as he was able to table every opponent.

My first opponent was a typical Vulken list, win, My second opponent was a SM Biker list, close game but a win. Third opponent was a Tyranid list, another close game but a win. My fourth and final opponent was a GK list, win.

My list:

Belial

Terminators x 5: CML, Appothocary, TH/SS x 5

Terminators x 5: CML, TH/SS x 5

Terminators x 5: CML, TH/SS x 4, SB/Chainfist

Land Speeder: Multi-melta, Tornado Missile Launcher

Land Speeder: Multi-melta, Tornado Missile Launcher

Land Raider: Godhammer

Land Raider: Godhammer

*Style note. I did all my models as pre-heresy, painted black and using pre-heresy bits, so I could play on the side of good or evil for almost any game. It's not a bright "poppy" color scheme but is dark and menacing. I like it.

The list isn't too creative. The key to this list is staying together. Terminators DIE when they can be isolated. Even if my opponents were able to charge 2 units and wipe them out, which fortunately never happened, they then had to deal with 15 more terminators...good luck! The land raiders were there to provide transport if I needed it but very rarely did I embark a unit, maybe if the unit was carrying an objective and was down to 1 man or to prevent the last man form giving a kill point.

My dice were kind to me throughout the day but not more than slightly better than statistical.

For those that don't know the tournament is really laid back and fun. Beer and liquor were served all day and for every game you won you got a free drink. I went with the expectation to lose and get drunk. What actually happened couldn't have been further from my expectations. I actually went into my last game with quite a buzz, but its amazing how 40K can sober you up.

Nice run at Blobs park. I was there as well, had a blast even though I didn't do as well as I would have liked. I watched the end of the match vs the SM bike list (my buds army). Looked like a pretty decent game.

Archived