Army Painter Anti-shine Varnish

After trying the Army Painter quickshade for the first time, I was really impressed with painting/shading. However, it all was ruined after I applied the Armypainter Anti-shine spray to remove the glossy effect. Instead of dulling it all nicely down, I got a :cussty frosty result. I don't know what I did wrong - did I sprayed too much of it, or air conditions were wrong?

GW's Purity Seal is the worst for this, but Army Painter does this as well. The frosting is similar to the fuzz you can get with white primers. The short answer is you need the hold the can closer to the model when you spray. With any of these, there is a very limited optimal range for spraying. It should be about 6 to 8 inches away and no more. As stated, be sure to shake the paint well and then shake it some more. But nothing beats practice. Try a few passes on a pencil or even the handle of your paintbrush (just protect the brush if you do this) until you find the perfert distance. Due to inconsistancies with spray cans, I do this with every new can I open, even if they are from the same lot.

Thanks everybody! Worked as a charm, although I sprayed from ~ 12 inches away. It took some shaking and I warmed the can beforehands in a pot with hot water. Seems, the problem with first minis was with me spraying outdoors, not shaking enough before use (although I shaked as much as usually with the AP primers) and applying too much of it.

I always shake the can for 5 minutes straight, in all seriousness.

I seldom run into the dreaded fuzz effect anymore and when I do, it is almost always due to high air humidity.

Yes, it appears that varnish MUST be shaked more vigorously than ordinary primers. Honestly, I've been shaking Army Painter primers for 10-20 secs maximum and never screwed a single mini. Varnish is a different story ;)

Archived