painting black using grey as basecoat

IMG_4896.JPG

I painted this guy using gray as a base-coat. I primed white, base coated with Vallejo Black Grey, then gave a wash with Badab Black. Then using oil paints, black and titanium white, I mixed varied shades of gray and created the subtle highlights. I think it turned out ok, but next time I would make the highlights more extreme and lest subtle.

I used a similar technique to paint this Ravenguard Sergeant as well.

IMG_5044.JPG

Ashton

thanks for the reply red. that is exactly what i was talking about. i have access to all the different paint brands at my local shop.

this is the color i was looking for and the way it is painting. my highlighting isnt up to the standard u produce (i have no patience for all that mixing), but i think it will work. ive painted black models before, and they always seem meh to me, i think the dark grey will add the shading i want with the black wash.

Charadon Granite, you're absolutely right.

Worked on top of grey it looks pretty good, but be warned it has a slightly warmer look to it. Comparable to an 80% warm grey? So if you're planning on using a lot of cooler colors on the model and you'd prefer an analagous progression stick to different colours.

I'd say avoid the black wash. Charadon Granite when it's built up is pretty dark, but if you're looking for the deepest shadows just run a basecoat of chaos black on the crevices before you apply the first thin coating of Charadon Granite. It'll help cut down on any "shine" effect.

But there's always more than one way to skin a fleshhound, no?

@deadlift58

It's kind of a preference. If you stick to an 80% cool grey you'll have a lot of analogous colours which work together. an 80% warm grey can provide a lot of contrast against cooler colours, but it's hard to say if it's working well or not until you've put the colours next to each other. Still, the contrast of cool and warm colours can be quite nice, but as an accent.

You're using your blues and greens just for accent? Yeah you could use a warm grey then. Trying for equal parts cool and equal parts warm on a model is hard on the eyes. But if you use bright cool accents (like gems) on a dark warm power armor suit those accents will really pop.

Analagous color combinations are appealing, but so are Complimentary. It might be time to do some test swatches on some primered scrap sprue to find colours you like.

Archived