Help me please concerning rust

I like that technique brother nihn, nice little link. Ta

Just to add to the pot, forgeworld do a range of weathering powders (as do a few other brands) which i have heard good things about. Not used them yet myself but some of the photos on the forgeworld site look brilliant.

All solid suggestions.

On a different board I've read of a few guys who take sandpaper to the surface before priming. Not too rough, maybe a 120 grit, and gently scraping away a thin layer of material. Then after they've basecoated they have a very gentle pittance in the plastic. (pewter might be more difficult)

Rust deteriorates the surface, and doesn't add to it. The problem with adding pigments is you're adding to the surface area instead of eating away at it. After you've scraped away from the plastic you can add the pigments to make your rust. You can also achieve the colour by stippling with an old brush using browns, oranges, and certain reds. By stippling you'll miss certain areas which will give the appearance of an uneven oxidation. Drybrushing is great for larger swathes of rust that have had a long time to oxidize.

In my opinion, the best effect on top of all of this and the aforementioned techniques is to give a heavy highlight contrast. Provide no highlighting for the rusted areas on the surface, but for the surface areas that aren't supposed to be deteriorating make sure you put a clean and bright highlight on. It makes the two surface areas "pop" against each other.

I did the following to paint a rusted barrel on one of my basses.

Prime black, base coat Terracotta, dry brush Brazen Brass, dry brush Boltgun Metal. Both Terracotta and Brazen Brass are discontinued form the GW line but I think there are the same colors in the Vallejo game line. When it comes to the dry brushing I did the brass in random areas and then the boltgun lightly over all the area and then went over random areas to get a varied look. If I remember to I will take a picture of the base and post it up tonight.

Ok here is a couple of pictures of the base showing the rust.

http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af261/jofus2004/Bloodcog/DSCF1790.jpg

http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af261/jofus2004/Bloodcog/DSCF1786.jpg

Archived