Vibrant Paint

Im looking to paint some vibrant colours. I presume a large part of this is choice in paints. So are there any specific colours or companies that produce really vibrant colours? Reaper seems to be fairly muted, P3s might be an option. GWs almost seems the most vibrant of them all so far but Im hoping that I am just missing something.

(When I say Vibrant perhaps I actually mean just brighter in general? I dunno hard for me to say. To get the jist I would like to be able to paint colours like poison dart frog colours.)

You can achieve that with Citadel paints just fine, the trick is in the techniques used. (e.g. don't use black to shade with, don't paint on dark base coats etc. etc.)

But for more vibrant colours Vallejo might serve, as they generally have more pigment in them.

Citadel do have the most colour saturation in their paints, (that I've seen) and really they're great paints. Just a touch pricey.

Reaper paints have a colour set specifically for "gaming" miniatures that is brighter, but it's still a little less saturated than Citadel.

P3 are better for realistic colours.

Vallejo are amazing at drab and analagous colours. The best use I've seen for them is with Wild West paint jobs that use a lot of dirt and grit. And railroad cars. Now that I think about it, it seems Vallejo's are great for achieving a "weathered" look.

Your last option is purchasing your own acrylic tubes and mixing yourself. I've had some great mixes using System 3 paint tubes.

Vallejo are amazing at drab and analagous colours. The best use I've seen for them is with Wild West paint jobs that use a lot of dirt and grit. And railroad cars. Now that I think about it, it seems Vallejo's are great for achieving a "weathered" look.

Vallejo are exactly the same as GWs.In times past citadel was having Vallejo as a manufacturer but changed.Instead of Vallejo been left stranded they rebranded the things and sell them now themselves.

P3 paints are some of the most vibrant acrylic "hobby" paints I've used, primarily because the pigment for their paints is a liquid and not a ground powder. You can really tell the difference if you thin your paints down quite a bit and use lots of thin coats like I do - they still retain a LOT of their color so it takes fewer coats.

Vallejo are exactly the same as GWs.In times past citadel was having Vallejo as a manufacturer but changed.Instead of Vallejo been left stranded they rebranded the things and sell them now themselves.

Actually Vallejo and GW where never partnered. The company your thinking about it Coat-D'Arms. They where the paint manufacturer in the 90's who made all of GW paints, then GW started to make their own in china and Coat D'arms continued to produce the paint under their brand. They still use the paint pots from the 90's that I still own and have paint that is over 15yrs old and not dried up yet when they were GW paint maker.

Here is the link Coat D'arms now produced by Black Hat Miniatures I have been tempted to get some of the older colors just they are hard to find here in the US.

Vallejo made GW-equivalent shades in the Game Color line and named them similar things so people would obviously know: Sunburst Yellow / Sun Yellow, Golden Yellow / Gold Yellow, Burnished Gold / Polished Gold, etc.

They did not make their paints. I use paints from both companies and can tell you they are not the same formula.

Vallejo made GW-equivalent shades in the Game Color line and named them similar things so people would obviously know: Sunburst Yellow / Sun Yellow, Golden Yellow / Gold Yellow, Burnished Gold / Polished Gold, etc.

They did not make their paints. I use paints from both companies and can tell you they are not the same formula.

Got told so by some credible sources expert painters both.Nevermind ill know for myself when i get then in some days.

Which one is better in your opinion then?

I really like Vallejo a lot, but I use paints from a bunch of different companies - GW, Vallejo, P3, and Reaper, but I also use more traditional media like Dr. Martin's inks and Golden Fluid Acrylics for washes. Tamiya acrylics for some airbrushing, and I'm starting to experiment with weathering using oil paints.

I can't just point at one manufacturer and declare it the best.

My suggestion is try paints from several and see which suits your style the most.

Archived