Are Dark Angels weaker than Codex Chapters?

Bigdog

Hi Guys I'm working on a new Art-Scale marine army but I'm having trouble deciding which chapter to go for. I really like the Dark Angels colour scheme and the character of the army but compared to Codex Chapters they seem a bit weaker/less flexible than others since the release of Codex Space Marines, Blood Angels and Space Wolves.

On paper they dont seem to stand up that well compared to the other chapters, presumably due power creep and their codex being a bit older than the others.

I guess what I'd like to know is, is this actually the case or do they stand up quite well compared to other marine chapters?

Any suggestions on what to take in my first 1000 pts? Please stick to power armoured troops at the moment as I need to get an army up and running before I try true scale Deathwing.

I appreciate any pointers you can give me.

Cheers

Depends on what you are after.If you want to be competitive you have to look away from regular power armored units.

Ours are not different from codex marines but a lot more expensive,making an Power armored list mostly moot.

Consider that full tactical squad costs the same as a gk PA squad.Now consider what both are armed with and you get the idea.

Our strengths lie in the ravenwing and the deathwing.So if you look that way then go with it.

The Dark Angels codex is great if you want to have a primarily Deathwing/Ravenwing army. However, if you want to have a core of power armour marines with only small elements of the Deathwing/Ravenwing being in the list, it might be worth using the Space Marine codex instead. You don't really have to pick a definite codex to stick too, though - if you're playing mainly normal Dark Angels, use C:SM, if using mainly the wings, C:DA.

As for starting off, if you don't want to do death/ravenwing at first, it'd probably be worth making some basic Tactical squads - I'd recommend searching for C:SM tactica online to find an effective loadout you like, then getting a Transport for them.

Yay for more True Scale Dark Angels !!!!! As the DAs are a codex adherent chapter (mostly) running a "Greenwing" army using C:SM is quite normal and acceptable.

Cheers,

Jono

As a side note I'm considering C:SW for my Dornian Heresy Unforgiven.

Thats great, thanks guys. I love the look and flavour of the dark angels but felt quite restricted by the list. as its mostly friendly games I play, I will probably use C:SM. I'm not a particularly competitive player, and it's mostly going to be an excercise in sculpting but I don't want to get hammered EVERY time I play ;)

Gives me a great excuse to crack open the Green Stuff cos I only have standard marine parts and fully intend to sculpt on much the Dark Angels Iconography.

As soon as I get some made up/painted I'll fire em on the Forums.

I will eventually get around to doing some terminators, mainly to see if I can pull it off. Maybe I'll see if Lamenter will be nice and gimme some pointers on his art-scale terminators. :P

Do you guys use the standard: Black undercoat, DA green base, highlight Snot Green or do you prefer a different recipe.

Think I'll probably try a more olive colour like on the Codex cover and free-hand the chapter and squad symbols. Been a while since I painted for the enjoyment of it so I'm looking forward to getting stuck in.

If you plan on playing Greenwing, you can probably work out a razorback spam list to start with. One thing we can do that codex marines can't is take a 5-man tactical squad with an assault weapon (flamer, meltagun, plasmagun) as well. Just something to consider.

If you plan on playing Greenwing, you can probably work out a razorback spam list to start with. One thing we can do that codex marines can't is take a 5-man tactical squad with an assault weapon (flamer, meltagun, plasmagun) as well. Just something to consider.

Er, yes they can. =/

Er, yes they can. =/

Was that faqed or something? I sure hope so because to my recollection they need to be ten strong to take any special weapons and that sucks :D

Er, yes they can. =/

Check the Tactical Squad options; the special/heavy weapon options are prefaced by "If the squad numbers ten models,"; those options may only be selected if the unit has ten models in it. They can, however, take a unit with, say a Meltagun and Missile Launcher, combat squad them and send the Meltagun out in a razorback while the Missile Launcher squad hangs out in the deployment zone.

Er, yes they can. =/

Check the Tactical Squad options; the special/heavy weapon options are prefaced by "If the squad numbers ten models,"; those options may only be selected if the unit has ten models in it. They can, however, take a unit with, say a Meltagun and Missile Launcher, combat squad them and send the Meltagun out in a razorback while the Missile Launcher squad hangs out in the deployment zone.

My apologies; I stand corrected. It hasn't even been FAQ'd. How gay...

Archived