Muzzle Flash OSL help

Bigdog

Hi Guys,

I'm trying to do an Art-Scale marine army as a display piece. Not sure whether to go for Ultramarines or Dark Angels as yet but what I'd like to do is have some firing and try OSL for the muzzle flashes.

Any suggestions on what colours to use for each chapter?

I find that if I use red/orange its coming out purple on the ultramarine.

With most of the successful uses of OSL that I've seen the color of the flash completely covers up the color of the armor.

IMHO, the best OSL tut out there right now Ron's over at From the Warp:

Glowing Powerfist Tutorial (This link is to part 1, which I think has the best pics. If you want more theory then look at the other posts)

You can see there that even though he's adding a blue light source to yellow armor, it's coming out blue and not green.

Alternately, you can have the muzzle flash producing a white light source, which means that the light it's giving off just makes the Ultramarine's armor brighter and doesn't change its hue.

Thanks for the link glayvin34.

The tutorial I posted on FTW is designed to get people started with OSL. Maybe not so much the exact colors, but more like understanding of how it works on the model.

That's half the battle really... getting it in the correct places. Even if you have perfect color blending and such, the effect won't work if it's not applied properly.

Bigdog: If you read the series and find something in it still confusing, drop me a line and I'll see if I can help out.

Archived