Crusade Reboot

Head Mook

I've decided that my crusade could use some serious character, so I'm adding 20 new Crusaders! 8 were created using Dark Angels Veterans and BT bits, and the remaining 12 will be BT, Warriors of Chaos, and a tiny touch of Grey Knight! I've just finished the first of the new Warriors conversions! Since I just got a camera capable of taking pictures I may turn this into a functioning WIP blog.

Either way, here is the first Initiate!

med_gallery_45711_6560_953511.jpg

med_gallery_45711_6560_308466.jpg

med_gallery_45711_6560_1364077.jpg

med_gallery_45711_6560_1135596.jpg

med_gallery_45711_6560_1199789.jpg

I'm debating keeping the WoC shield because for the rest of my army I use them as Storm Shields. I don't want to confuse anyone. Something else I've been considering is using vanilla space marine heads, but with crests made from Dire Avengers.

Do you think using the WoC heads would be too few Templar-y bits? Thoughts?

He looks just like my old Castellan. Fond memories...

I think the WoC shields are fine. They look cool and you did a good job filing it. No one will question whether or not it is a Storm Shield.

As for the WoC heads, I think they are too small. I have tried it out, and trust me, if you use the WoC heads put them on your Neophytes.

Edit: I just reread your post, and yes, I immediately thought Storm Shield. I would not put a shield on a model that doesn't have appropriate wargear, unless it is clearly decorative (ie. On a shoulder pad or something).

I think that if your Initiates are going to be a separate squad then you should leave them as they are. The only reason you should give them SS matching your other men are if you are adding them to squads...squad integrity you know?? lol

I have tried it out, and trust me, if you use the WoC heads put them on your Neophytes.

Gruis, that's a great idea! I definitely think I'll be stealing it.

What legs does this guy have? Pretty cool bit.

Caesare, the legs, cape and shield are from the fantasy Warriors of Chaos sprue. The chest and legs are originally a single piece, but I cut it back to make room for a proper BT torso. There's a lot of fun bits there, you just have to get rid of some of those pesky Chaos icons...

As for the shields, I've created some Greenstuff pressmolds of BT icons to go over the blank area to liven things up. However, I had a thought to leave the shields flat, but use the surface to freehand some Crusade banners from the Codex onto them. Alternatively I may emulate the stations of the Cross and do images of important moments in the Chapter's history: The Emperor affirming Dorn as Primarch, Sigismund leading the attack on Mars, the defense of the Palace, etc etc....

I think I can pull it off if I plan it sufficiently.

So here are some new photos of some new (and some not so new) minis:

First up, the Rogal Dorn I've been putting together for like...two years :D

In these pics he's missing the Storm Shield I have yet to put on him, and he's used as a TDA Marshal in larger games.

med_gallery_45711_5039_1709411.jpg

And an (old) comparison shot:

med_gallery_45711_5039_806201.jpg

Then we have an Initiate, who represent my start at giving my Templar a paint job they deserve rather than just having them "table top ready".

med_gallery_45711_6560_213473.jpg

med_gallery_45711_6560_496585.jpg

Then come the beginning of Crusader Squad Throne:

med_gallery_45711_6560_1136967.jpg

med_gallery_45711_6560_749293.jpg

med_gallery_45711_6560_177451.jpg

Here's my Emperor's Champion, who took about 5 hours to complete. He's my favorite model (I'm so happy he's compulsory. ^_^ )

med_gallery_45711_6560_133312.jpg

med_gallery_45711_6560_1089378.jpg

med_gallery_45711_6560_1540475.jpg

gallery_45711_6560_695851.jpg

This is an Assault Terminator I also use as a Marshal (Or Lysander that one time that we don't talk about.) He gives my EC a serious running for "Favorite Model".

med_gallery_45711_6560_1387028.jpg

And this little fellow is my "lowly" Terminator Command Squad Sergeant. He was a very quick conversion and has a very clean, dangerous "First Sergeant" feel to him. Can't wait to paint him. He'll probably be the only un-helmeted Templar in the army.

med_gallery_45711_6560_1576826.jpg

Anyway, that's all for now! Questions and comments welcome!

very nice look mate!!

what head is that on your assault terminator? is there any chance you could take a shot from a different angle?

I love the idea of using the chaos warrior legs, ive got a box filled with CW sprues, i might have to have a look

Interesting work...though I can't help but feel some techniques are somehow...familiar :yes:

Kidding aside, it looks pretty good. There's some ambitious freehanding in there, and the power effect on the Terminator's hammer looks good, which is always important ;).

The one thing I would recommend working on is highlighting the offwhite spots. On some flatter surfaces like shoulder pads, you can get away with the two tone approach (one dark shade in recesses and flat, lighter tone above) and it'll look pretty good, but on more complex depths like robes and tabards, two tones can look kinda...meh. A quick highlight of bleached bone (maybe Khommando Khaki, seeing as you went with a particularly dark color) would do wonders on those spots.

Also, why pure white on two guys' shoulders, then off white on everyone else? Are they the zealots of cleanliness? :D

what head is that on your assault terminator? is there any chance you could take a shot from a different angle?

The Terminator's head is a shaved down Bretonian Great Helm, they look amazing! Extra knightly, ya know?

@Firepower:

The one thing I would recommend working on is highlighting the offwhite spots...

I definitely have to do that. The models with offwhite are my endeavor in that direction and I'm finding that I prefer the crisp, clean look of pure white. So those two Clean Marines will not be alone for long! What will I do about the offwhite guys? Probably keep them in their own Crusader Squad, ha.

Thanks for the responses guys, input goes a long way toward keeping the project alive!

During next week I think I'm going to touch up the highlights on the Champion, the Assault Terminator and Rogal Dorn. I've also had a lot of success with recess lining my brother's marines, so I'll be adding some of that (particularly to banners and Dorn).

For now though I'm heading down to Ft. Benning, Georgia to see my younger brother for Basic Training Family Day. Have a good weekend all! Don't do too much muppet mowing. :P

• 6 months later...

So it's been a little while since I've updated this thing (October). I was going to see my brother for Family Day at Army Basic Training there. Since then, I watched him graduate, joined the National Guard and went through Basic Training myself. While there I wrote an amazing 1850 BT list from memory and so when I got home last week I decided to get back into my reboot.

I'm attending a 1500pt Tournament this Sunday and here is a link to the list I'm running: Here we go!

But on to the modeling!

I've gotten my hands on a Grey Knights kit, a Dark Angels Veteran kit, and a Warriors of Chaos kit. Let me just say that using these kits, together with the BT upgrade, is a TON of fun and lets me come up with some really good looking models. I want to take a second to address the theme of my army though, because it's going to appear a little "all over the place" with the squads looking radically different.

I think it's a good thing, because what I'm actually shooting for is to emulate the kind of unquiness you get when you call a Black Templar Crusade together. Lots of different Fighting Companies from different backgrounds and campaigns all taking a war footing together to murder the ever-loving-Emperor out of the enemies of Mankind. To that end, I really enjoy the differences, subtle and terribly obvious, that my army is coming to gain.

However, I am using a fairly universal paint scheme and style to tie everything together and make it look like a proper Black Templar army.

Enough talk, here are some pictures of my newest Crusader test models, plus a Coteaz conversion Marshal! (All very much WIP of course...)

Here is a WIP of a Warriors of Chaos conversion I'm trying out. He still needs some GS work (fur to smooth the shoulder transitions, to make his weird little talisman into something suitably Imperial, etc). My biggest question is if I should just leave him in boots or try to cut/shave/sculpt something better as a permanent solution. I kind of dig the boots though. What do you think?

index.php?autocom=gallery&req=user&user=45711&op=view_album&album=6560

gallery_45711_6560_1281350.jpg

gallery_45711_6560_445352.jpg

Here's a link to the pictures that inspired this conversion: Right here at B&C

Here is a Dark Angels Vets/WoC/Grey Knights/BT kitbash that I absolutely love. It needs some work and some love, but I could see a *lot* more of these guys coming soon. It's simple, elegant and really gives off a warrior monk murder monster vibe that I really enjoy.

gallery_45711_6560_606535.jpg

gallery_45711_6560_1153198.jpg

gallery_45711_6560_197450.jpg

gallery_45711_6560_195.jpg

And here is some of my best work of the day! A really nice Marshal or Castellan conversion that I am enjoying the hell out of. I may mount him on a larger base to give him something suitably theatrical. As is stands I'm thinking of a flagstone surface with hints of violence and his own helmet resting at his feet, as if to say "And now I bask in the glow of total victory and the love of the God Emperor."

gallery_45711_6560_833954.jpg

gallery_45711_6560_539881.jpg

I'm thinking that his shield will have a sweet crusade image emblazoned on it, or Imperial saints or something.

gallery_45711_6560_628834.jpg

gallery_45711_6560_761267.jpg

His back still needs a suitable backpack, but that won't be hard to find.

Anyway! Here's for your enjoyment guys, I know I'm loving them. If you have any criticisms (other than "mold lines" because these guys are still tac'd together!) please let me know! I'd love to hear it.

Anyway, I'm going to get back to chores and then grapple with a Land Speeder Typhoon. Later!

And here is some of my best work of the day! A really nice Marshal or Castellan conversion that I am enjoying the hell out of. I may mount him on a larger base to give him something suitably theatrical. As is stands I'm thinking of a flagstone surface with hints of violence and his own helmet resting at his feet, as if to say "And now I bask in the glow of total victory and the love of the God Emperor."

gallery_45711_6560_833954.jpg

you know he's gaggin for a fat templars belt buckle :lol:

you know he's gaggin for a fat templars belt buckle msn-wink.gif

Definitely. I just have to figure out how to do it. I'm thinking of scraping it down to just the skull and then adding tiny GS Maltese cross flanges. But I don't know. Thoughts?

Where'd you get the backpack or the cloak atleast? Cause those look really good on the space marines!

The clock with the fur comes from the Warriors of Chaos kit. It's a Fantasy piece, and amazing. The chest and legs are a single piece, and the back, cloak and shoulders are all another. They're easy to work with, make the Marine half a head taller, and look awesome. You get 12 in a box!

The clock with the fur comes from the Warriors of Chaos kit.

I'm sorry, you lost me.

Haha The cloak with the fur comes from the fantasy chaos warrior kit, which answers the question Brother Uriel was asking. Those cloaks work really well on space marines.

Haha The cloak with the fur comes from the fantasy chaos warrior kit, which answers the question Brother Uriel was asking. Those cloaks work really well on space marines.

That's not what my concern is with. My concern is with the word in bold.

Just wait until they get their fancy paint job. :)

Paint can't cover up heresy. I wouldn't taint my Templar like this.

I've decided that my crusade could use some serious character, so I'm adding 20 new Crusaders! 8 were created using Dark Angels Veterans and BT bits, and the remaining 12 will be BT, Warriors of Chaos, and a tiny touch of Grey Knight! I've just finished the first of the new Warriors conversions! Since I just got a camera capable of taking pictures I may turn this into a functioning WIP blog.

Either way, here is the first Initiate!

med_gallery_45711_6560_953511.jpg

med_gallery_45711_6560_1199789.jpg

I'm debating keeping the WoC shield because for the rest of my army I use them as Storm Shields. I don't want to confuse anyone. Something else I've been considering is using vanilla space marine heads, but with crests made from Dire Avengers.

Do you think using the WoC heads would be too few Templar-y bits? Thoughts?

Exactly how I want to build my Sgt. with shield for my command squad, altough mine gets a powerhammer.

Exactly how I want to build my Sgt. with shield for my command squad, altough mine gets a powerhammer.

The hammer would look awesome as well, Scipio. Good choice! :lol:

Anyway, 1500pt Tournament today! Wish me luck, the list over over yonder

Pics of some new Neophytes and such, and battle reports, when I return!

Wish me luck!

Archived