Which company to model?

Brother Immolator

So i got and won an auction out of e-bay.It was the old darkangels tactical squad box:http://www.google.gr/imgres?q=dark+angels+tactical+squad&um=1&hl=el&client=firefox-a&sa=N&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&biw=1280&bih=617&tbm=isch&tbnid=8vkTS-JY1hfU_M:&imgrefurl=http://www.nugaming.com/html/s_m_dark_angels.html&docid=AG3nCJD-Dyp5sM&w=472&h=326&ei=lkGUTsaJK6Tl4QTDg42dCA&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=211&page=1&tbnh=122&tbnw=162&start=0&ndsp=19&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0&tx=76&ty=32

The models were prepainted but in all truth i just bid it because i wanted the model of the sarge.The price i won it was a tad bit more than what gw charges for the single model.So i was planning of either throwing the rest of the squad to the garbage can due to screwed painting(from what i seen in the pic) or keep em for bits.

Turns out the squad has some parts of it badly painted but nothing irredeemable.In fact i can fix the whole lot given a couple of days.

Now my only prob is that they have transfers too.I can opt to remove them but they just got me into thinking.You see they are of the seventh company the tactical reserves.

I was thinking for about a year of what company to make.Hell even the company master has no number on the banner yet and i ve painted no markings neither used transfers.

So what are your opinions on this?Remove the transfers and do another company(do please state which if you can) or make a multicompany consisting of reserve troops(all tactical squads to be from 7th,all devs from nine etc)?The latter would match a bit with my build and converted corvus/heresy pattern tactical squad as i dont believe such ancient equipment would be issued directly unless needed.

A welcome surprise came to me when i saw the plasma cannon of said squad.On the back are cast DA symbols making him unique...woooot!

OK, I took on the challenge to do a full company with my Disciples and went for the 5th due to relative easiness of the quartered scheme. I found the chequered scheme of the 4th a bit demanding for my free hand skills and the 3rd seemed too easy to me especially since my pre-exisitng DA force is of the 3rd Company already. So that was my thinking behind it. Now for my Consecrators where the focus will be RW I did a couple of squads (a tactical and a Vets) out of context - just for fun. Hence I decided to go for the less common 6th that is also pretty staight forward to paint...

Now you should ask yourself if you'd rather have one company for your Greenwing or many. Or how the new acquisitions will merge with your exisitng force. And finally do you like the exisitng work on the miniatures? If you do it could be reason enough to keep tem. If it is not done to your liking get rid of them best way you can and start over - even if it is the same 7th company!

EDIT: BTW did you get my PM?

EDIT: BTW did you get my PM?

Nop.

The armor itself and certain aspects of the miniatures(purity seals etc)are ok.However it was a haste job since the previous owner hasnt painted any eyes,the aquilas are not to a good standard and the guns seem out place in their colours with the rest of my force(they are red while i paint them codex grey followed by a light bhadab wash).And he seems to have left the plasma cannon coils and muzzle unpainted.Some need a bit of filling in the mold lines too.Overall i will retouch them i wont leave them as they are.

Currently i have them disassembled prior to reattach them.The problem is that i cant decide on what company road i want to go :)

Deathwing and ravenwing are their own companies so no problem there....

collect them all

its more fun B)

Yeah but i aint rich,that would be more fun!

EDIT:As to give emphasis to my trouble,i found inside the package an eleventh marine.He is the old metal space marine standard bearer(how i wish he was Bethor,but dont look a gift horse in the mouth)painted white....Some striping is in order here....He also needs some greenstuff cause the pole is broken.Now i have three standard bearers!All i need is bethor for the chapter banner!

Also brother Semper is 5th special in any way?

Not, other than appearing in Vraks Vol. 1 under Master Helbron, no... It's really not a big thing, I just found that painting the quartered style of the company designation was visually more interesting than the red diagonal of the 3rd and easier than the chequered style of the 4th. So there. There is definately nothing special about the Disciples 5th B)

Now that i look at 5th it seems a rather easy thing to do compared to the rest.Plus its really cooler to have an active company than a reserve one right?

Thanks Semper!

Now another question since i dont want to start a thread and you seem to be the appropriate source due to experience.

I am modeling a squad of heresy era armored and equipped marines.I have the guns bekie helmets and torsos,i need to convert some shoulder pads,heads and legs.The goal is to convert 5 corvus pattern and 5 heresy pattern marines.I dubbed them the ancients.Anyway both use studded pads,and the other needs to have the chapter badge on it.Sooooo where do we put the squad designators?

A simple number on the other kneepad works or you can put it on the right shoulder pad under the chapter icon in either of the lower corners of the pad. This is how it was shown back in the day (RT).. The FW transfer sheet is good for this because it has numbers and chapter icons in various (smaller) sizes for fitting in..

WOO... LINKY: http://z15.invisionfree.com/The_Great_Crus...?showtopic=1230

Sorry, my wife took control of the PC and I have to use the iPad ;)

Anyway, I have to agree with Brother Dean. You can either forgo the specialty designations altogether (i.e. the two headed arrow for Tac) and rely on the squad number only (1-6 tactical, 7-8 assault, 9-10 devs) which you can put on the shoulder pad, as Brother Dean said, in the lower corner.

OR you can assume that the colors of the marine armour indicate the Chapter allegiance adequately and therefore forgo the Chapter badge altogether and use the shoulder pad for the usual specialty designation (the arrow in the case of Tac) and the squad number.

Yes, The number is a Squad number.

They sit well enough...

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w20/fred40k2002/Dark%20Angels/sixthsquad013.jpg

If you let the first dry and varnish (brush 'Ardcoat) over it the next will be easier to position.

Linky: Decal Tutorial.

While on the subject Brother Dean, how do you remove decals? Especially the ones that I've used setter on?

Well... That is a bit off topic and prolly belongs in PC&A. It also depends on what steps you took.. Did you varnish over the top of the decal? Did you varnish the model underneath the decal?

If there is no varnish I would probibly just put more microSol on it and see if I couldnt melt the decal enough that I could lightly scrape it up with a knife, toothbrush or something.

If you 'Ardcoated both under and over the decal, stick the model in hot water and the ardcoat will loosen enough that you might get it off.

If you have spray varnished over the entire model I would stick it in Simple Green for an hour or so which should be enough to lift the decal without completely ruining the paint...

Those 6th squad troopers had an unfortunate incident with some flat spray varnish and had to be stripped, the decals with the Ardcoat came off mostly intact, still in the shape of the shoulder pads... (couldnt re-use them tho...)

While on the subject Brother Dean, how do you remove decals? Especially the ones that I've used setter on?

Well if i may since i just decided to go to with the fifth company(unless someone can give a better reason not to)i scrapped the decals(i though they were company noumbers remember?)with a toothpick.It needs patience and the decal will be torn to tiny tiny tiny pieces but once it is torn you can use a water cloth to remove them.

BTW Sember did you got my PM?

• 2 weeks later...

There is only one Battle Company worth building - and that is the largely forgotten and unloved 4th. Such cool company insignia too - a real test of painting skill. ;)

Cheers

I

Isiah!... :angry: Let him pick his own... If he wants to run the 14th Assault chapter then let him...

But then again, that company that you dont hear about is the one that pulls all the secret missions...

food for thought...

Isiah!... :) Let him pick his own... If he wants to run the 14th Assault chapter then let him...

But then again, that company that you dont hear about is the one that pulls all the secret missions...

food for thought...

You mean the 9th? I knew it!!!

Come to think of it, 14th Assault Chapter sounds like a challenge! What we REALLY need is an Insignium Astartes dedicated to pre-Heresy DAs! ;)

Isiah!... ;) Let him pick his own... If he wants to run the 14th Assault chapter then let him...

food for thought...

I love every bit of a good reason for every company so by all means shoot out reasons.

Archived