Highlighting methods

Hi all. I'm new to the B&C forums, so first post :) . I've been a lurker here for about a year though :D .

Anyway, I had a few questions about highlighting.

I know about (and have done for quite a while) edge highlighting, but I'm what you would call a "dirty" painter. In other words I often use less perfect ways of achieving results and often use things like washes and selective drybrushing. In contrast to my friend who has insane brush control and paints perfectly the whole time. You can watch his models take shape meanwhile mine usually don't really turn out until the final few steps (especially with fantasy minis). I have good brush control but edge highlighting takes me insane amounts of time because I don't quite have the brush control I need to do it perfect most of the time. So I have to slow down a LOT to do it well. So since edge highlighting takes me so long I was looking for alternatives that, while they may take just as long as is does for me to edge highlight, would produce the same or better results and be more in line with my style.

I'm not looking for the "easy way out" so to speak, just something that is more in line with how I paint.

I've watched DV8 feather minis here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyigagXfGEQ...feature=related at around 5:34. I saw him do that, and said to myself, "that looks like it would take almost less time than is does me to edge highlight, and produces better resluts." I went to try it and was having a hard time figuring out what consistency of paint to use and how wet my brush should be.

So, if you guys would be so kind, could you fill me in on other highlighting techniques and maybe explain them or provide articles or vidoes that do?

Thanks for your time. Hopefully I can start a project log soon so you guys can see some of my painting.

Captain jOE

Airbrush highlighting is super magical cheating highlighting. Especially on marines. Seriously, I almost feel bad using one.

Washing is cheat highlighting level 2. Not physics defying like airbrushing, but a nice shortcut.

Yeah, if I had an airbrush I would do the zenithal highlight with it :D . Might get one eventually, but don't have one now.

But washing to highlight do you mean painting the marine the highlight color and washing the the shadowed parts down repeatedly? Or washing UP in shade from your base color to the highlight?

Captain jOE

Airbrush highlighting is super magical cheating highlighting. Especially on marines. Seriously, I almost feel bad using one.

Washing is cheat highlighting level 2. Not physics defying like airbrushing, but a nice shortcut.

I am sorry but I have to say something here....airbrushing is NOT cheating, dipping is NOT cheating, washing is NOT cheating, Dry-brushing is NOT cheating, nor is any other technique or tool that helps achieve an end result, and anyone who says otherwise IS a tool.

Painting is about aesthetics, flow, and feel, different techniques achieve and convey those things differently, for example I paint a lot with oils, this produces subtle and smooth transitions, which is quite different than the typical GW lining method. I would suggest doing some research and finding a style that you find pleasing, learn how that is done, and then practice that technique, don't let people tell you or imply that some techniques are better than others, none are better, they simply produce different results.

Ashton

AGree - any method giving good results is fair game. Edge highlighting is about having very little but liquid paint on the brush and drawing it across an edge so lightly using the sides of the brush in prefeence to the tip...

*snip*

I've watched DV8 feather minis here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyigagXfGEQ...feature=related at around 5:34. I saw him do that, and said to myself, "that looks like it would take almost less time than is does me to edge highlight, and produces better resluts." I went to try it and was having a hard time figuring out what consistency of paint to use and how wet my brush should be.

*snip*

Generally, feathering/washing (I find) is easier than edge highlighting, although don't let that stop you from combining both! Quite frequently I'll feather/wash/blend to get my contrast/gradient, and then finish with a very subtle edge highlight for "pop".

As for consistency of paint, it depends on how comfortable you are with the technique, your brush control and preference, and the paint itself. Personally, I go with consistency of milk, SOMETIMES thicker or thinner depending on what I'm trying to accomplish. There's no real proper ratio, it all boils down to experience and preference. All I can suggest is try it out, experiment, see what works for you, and play around with the mix until you're comfortable with it.

With regards to how "wet" your brush should be, general idea is to have moist bristles. Not dry enough it reabsorbs all the paint from your model, but not wet enough that it adds extra water (or paint) to the paint already on the model.

With regards to naysayers on any form of technique, be it dipping, airbrushing, whatever. It's not about what it took to get there, it's the end result, especially with an army. And speed and efficiency are sometimes key. For example, why waste hours and hours basecoating an army when I can do it in minutes (or seconds) with an airbrush?

Oh yes, there's always personal bias. I for one hate dipping; it's quick, dirty, and lazy, and the end results look awful. But some people like it, so more power to them. But you can't translate that bias and opinion into some factual statement like "dipping is cheating", because it isn't. Most people probably feel it (or any other technique) is "cheating" because it achieves a result equivalent to their own pain-staking labors, but faster/better/more easily.

DV8

Thanks everyone for the replies! :P

@ DV8

Thanks so much for the advice.

Obviously I won't pick up any technique instantly, but the problems I was having with paint consistency was either 1) is was WAY too thick and couldn't be feathered 2) it was thick enough that when I went to feather the center of the spot I painted sorta feathered but the edge didn't ;) 3) I guess it was watery enough but when I tried to feather it streaked.

So I have a few more questions if you would be so kind as to answer them.

Would it be wise to add something (like ardcoat) to break the surface tension of the water in my paint when I feather? Is it essential that I feather with brush strokes in the same direction that I painted the layer of paint on?

Thanks again for you time guys

Captain jOE

Archived