Deploying Your Deathwing

azrael305

Well as any good general knows it depends on alot of factors: 1) Opponent and his/her skill set. 2)Army 3)Mission/ Deployment. Those are the basic three rules I follow when deploying my troops. Also it depends on how agressive you want to be too.

I have started not bothering with DW Assault (I used to always use it).

Although I have also started running a Land Raider Crusader (if points allow) instead to get Belial's unit in nice and early and cause havoc while the other units stroll up the table letting off cyclone shots. Given the assault vehicle rules and the size of the Terminator bases you can get a first turn charge off from the Land Raider if your opponent is careless with their deployment.

I know that quite a few people prefer to take more Terminators instead of a Land Raider but I have found them to be a great delivery system - not to mention an added distraction for the enemy once it is driving around in their deployment zone.

I also found that a Dreadnought drop-podding in on either flank adds to the panic for my opponents.

That said, egon1six is right and deployment can (and should) change according to circumstance.

I tend to run 5 Deathwing & Raven bikes. Deploy 2 squads (cyclone & storm bolters), DW assault with 2 squads (cyclone + combat weapons) into space or near bikes, then reserve in with the last (cannon + combat weapons) where needed.

But, up against a Grey Knight force I've deployed close with all the Deathwing and outflanked the Raven. Then spent the game backing up to keep out of assault range while destroying transports forcing him to stand/walk + shoot/run after me.

Opponent+ army+ table+ mission= D6

Given the assault vehicle rules and the size of the Terminator bases you can get a first turn charge off from the Land Raider if your opponent is careless with their deployment.

How, exactly? You start 24" apart, right? 12" move, plus 2" coherency from the hull, plus 6" charge, plus diameter of the termie base doesn't reach, let alone exceed, 24"!!!

Given the assault vehicle rules and the size of the Terminator bases you can get a first turn charge off from the Land Raider if your opponent is careless with their deployment.

How, exactly? You start 24" apart, right? 12" move, plus 2" coherency from the hull, plus 6" charge, plus diameter of the termie base doesn't reach, let alone exceed, 24"!!!

I can only guess that the opponent scout moved closer?

Having played DW almost exclusivity for the last few years I have altered the DWA depending on the size of the game.

My preferred Belial load out is w/LC's and a 3X TH/SS, 2X LC, CML Apoth, Standard Cmd Sqd.

At 1500 points I add four TDA Sqds. At 2000 five TDA Sqds and two Ven Dreads.

I'll always start w/2xTDA, and 1x VDread on the table. DWA one TDA in the op backfield on turn one, I try to go second. It usually becomes a hold my own obj and take or contest his type of game. Two DW Sqds and a Ven Dread w/TLLC,ML have not failed to hold yet and the remaining DW, Belial/Cmd Sqd, and Ven w/DP always tie-up and or take obj's.

Larger games 10,000 points and higher I'll go whole hog on the DWA dropping in the maximum amount possible on turn one.

I only tend to the put the Command Squad in reserve rather than start them on the board and they last so much longer. My Command Squad never died once at Throne Of Skulls and they did a serious amount of damage to a Grey Knight army.

If you get turn two and the opponent edges forward into the 18" threat range

Archived