Plastic versions of Metal models - create your own?

Rayza09

Hey, I really like the look of the classic Daemon Prince but would much prefer a plastic model as my metal one keeps falling apart and I prefer plastic models.

The new plastic Daemon Prince doesn't look as good in my opinion (only by a little, mainly the face) and another aspect to consider is the sheer size of the 60mm base + model which provides a disadvantage in table top gameplay compared to the smaller 40mm base model (exception for easier close combat engagement).

Just wondering if anyone has made moulds on metal models and created plastic versions. I already own a Daemon Prince model which im not going to use because of difficulty so copyright should not be an issue (not planning on selling for a profit).

Would you recommend doing casting bit-by-bit or of the model as a whole?

Thanks

It's not easy to make plastic components. You can cast in resin fairly simply, but to do a good job you're looking at a couple of hundred pounds in setup costs for a vacuum chamber, pressure pot, compressor(s) as well as the sillicone and resin.

If your metal one's falling apart, try stuffing it with greenstuff in the internal cavities to give your pins something to go into.

Your reasoning that you want to use a 40mm base for your Daemon Prince isn't right. If Daemon Princes are supposed to be on 60mm bases, you cannot put one on a 40mm base, no matter the size of the model. You can go bigger in regards to base sizes, but not smaller as that puts the opponent at an unfair advantage in close combat. If everyone else is using modern Terminators on 40mm and someone comes along to play with the current rules with old Terminators on 25mm bases, that's an unfair advantage to the old Termies. Same applies here.

In official GW games - 'Ard Boyz, Games Day, etc - the figures have to be mounted on the current base size. This came up a lot with the older terminator models, and I had a friend who tried to enter an 'Ard Boyz tourney last year with old termies on old bases and the GW rep told him he had to rebase them(which he conveniently pointed to on the wall, along with suggesting GW super glue).

That's incorrect though; it states right in the rulebook that models must be mounted on the bases they are supplied with, not what is current. I've never had an issue with my 25mm Terminators/IG heavy weapons, 40mm wraithlord/daemon prince, etc. Tournaments at a GW have allowed them without a problem.

It's an unfair advantage. Every marine player at a tourney that took assault terminators would just buy the old metals and put them on 25mm.
Assault terminators on small bases are a disadvantage to the user. They're in a land raider (or you're not doing it right), and the larger bases get a much farther disembark distance than the small bases. You can also hit them more easily with a blast weapon, since the larger bases can be much farther spread out. They have no advantage over big bases in the assault phase either, since the current assault rules pretty much ensure all combatants will get stuck in except if they're very spread out (the advantage big bases get in the shooting phase).

Any "advantage" the small bases have is purely imaginative.

Who said anything of copying the old models? Brother Chaplain Kage just talked about using the old ones instead of the new, if you can get them.

Did you not read the OP?

He mentions copying GW metal figures.

He's fine as long as he doesn't start selling them. There's a section in the B&C Rules that I'll scrounge up for you if you want.

Your reasoning that you want to use a 40mm base for your Daemon Prince isn't right. If Daemon Princes are supposed to be on 60mm bases, you cannot put one on a 40mm base, no matter the size of the model. You can go bigger in regards to base sizes, but not smaller as that puts the opponent at an unfair advantage in close combat. If everyone else is using modern Terminators on 40mm and someone comes along to play with the current rules with old Terminators on 25mm bases, that's an unfair advantage to the old Termies. Same applies here.

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/...otCatGameStyle=

I find your argument hard to follow

The rulebook says "base they came with".

Stores and tournaments may have "house rules" stating otherwise but they HAVE to state it.

NOTE: Not even the WHFB rulebook states base sizes for models/units anymore. 40k never really did.

Cost aside, this makes no sense as resin is nasty stuff and in all likelhood not nearly a good a cast as the metal model. I prefer metal to resin, files down smoother, chunkier feel weight-wise

Sorry for my mistake, I inherited a bunch of old metal Termies from my uncle and was told by nearly every opponent at my local GW that I had to rebase them, I just assumed it was something you had to do for all old models to fit in with the current range (I've lost my rulebook at the moment, and couldn't check). Sorry for any inconveinience I might have caused.

On topic, between the cost of resin, the work being put into it, and the time spent trying to clean up a cast the size of the Daemon Prince, you'd probably just be better off gritting your teeth and putting up with the hassle of a metal model.

Archived