Storm Lords; Scheme and Transfers

G3rman

From what I can tell, many see Storm Lords as a hard army to paint. I might come to this conclusion as well since I haven't started the painting yet, so can anyone give me general reasons on why with the colors they have it might be difficult, and any tips to painting them?

Scheme:

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/mediawiki/images/thumb/0/06/Storm_Lords_Marine.jpg/200px-Storm_Lords_Marine.jpg

And if anyone has any knowledge of their transfers, let me know. I'm terrible at free-hand unfortunately.

In general red, white, and yellow are the hardest colors to paint because of their natural opacity. It's very tough to get those colors to cover evenly and cleanly without either showing brushstrokes or the color underneath. Apply too much thick paint, and the model looks messy and rough.

All three of these colors on the same Marine make for a near-nightmare situation for all but the most patient and skilled painters. Those without the steady hand and boundless patience will burn out in frustration.

That being said, it's a rewarding scheme to paint if you sink the time into it. I would personally prime in white, which saves some time on half the Marine. If you've got access to an airbrush, the halved scheme will be infinitely easier to do, as you can just mask off half of every model and spray your red, or at least the basecoat. I would absolutely paint the heads separate from the bodies, so you can avoid the horror of trying topaint yellow heads without accidentally touching white or red parts you worked so hard to get done.

As for decals, Kurgan has created a Deathwatch sheet that contains Storm Lords icons. You'll just need to read up on printing your own decals:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.p...howtopic=164167

Thank you for the fast reply! I see what you mean by how difficult they could be to paint, but I find the scheme to be fresh and unique so I'm hoping it will be harder to lose interest.

My plan was to prime the model in white, but I never thought to leave the head out for individual painting which is smart! I'll start gathering up the necessary materials and do a test run with a model to see how much time I log in completing it.

Glad to have that link, now I just need to figure out where to find the correct paper to use for decals.

Things that don't belong in the tutorials area:

Questions that aren't a tutorial for starters.

"What color do I highlight Scorpion Green with?" Isn't a tutorial or even a tutorial question. That is for General PCA Questions.

"Does anyone want a tutorial on X?" If you have a tutorial then just post it. You can find tutorials that people are looking for in the Tutorial Requests Thread.

"Where can I find/buy model/paint/tool X?" Again this is something for General PCA Questions.

Basically if it isn't something that isn't a step by step instruction it shouldn't be in here!

Topic moved.

Just pointing out that I DID NOT do those decals. At the time they were done the software only allowed for Admins to submit files to the downloads area. As such my name appears next to the SUBMITTER field, however if you look in the actual description of the file you will see who the file author actually is. This only effects some of the older decal sets. Newer ones have the actual artist as the submitter as newer versions of the software allowed us to set who could upload a file.

Just pointing out that I DID NOT do those decals. At the time they were done the software only allowed for Admins to submit files to the downloads area. As such my name appears next to the SUBMITTER field, however if you look in the actual description of the file you will see who the file author actually is. This only effects some of the older decal sets. Newer ones have the actual artist as the submitter as newer versions of the software allowed us to set who could upload a file.

Duly noted, Sir.

Things that don't belong in the tutorials area:

Questions that aren't a tutorial for starters.

"What color do I highlight Scorpion Green with?" Isn't a tutorial or even a tutorial question. That is for General PCA Questions.

"Does anyone want a tutorial on X?" If you have a tutorial then just post it. You can find tutorials that people are looking for in the Tutorial Requests Thread.

"Where can I find/buy model/paint/tool X?" Again this is something for General PCA Questions.

Basically if it isn't something that isn't a step by step instruction it shouldn't be in here!

Topic moved.

Ah thank you, unfortunately I realized my mistake too late after posting my thread. I know the proper area now, the mistake shall not happen again.

And thanks for the help everyone, I'm kicking myself now for buying a white/off-white primer now that I think of difficulty in detailing, but I will just have to work with it. Also the more specific decal will be helpful, still need to find a place that sells a proper paper to print it out on though.

It also seems like White Scars make use of tribal equipment and looks, so I'm thinking it might not be a bad idea to use animal skins from a Fantasy or SW range for my force. Does anyone have any particular suggestions for Halberds or Spears of some kind in Fantasy, or animal skins?

Instead of wasting space by making another thread, I thought it better to ask here since its still relevant.

I looked into Maxmini and I really like their animal skins for commanders, sergeants, and etc. The only thing that gets me is resin, because I haven't worked with it before.

Is there anything I should keep in mind when handling resin differently than plastic? Or is really just a standard glue and paint affair?

I wouldnt go daft with the animal skins and accessories. The Storm Lords scheme is already busy due to the halved colour and different helmet, so having the Marines 'clean' makes them look all the more awesome

Resin is fine, its often better than plastic in tems of mould lines etc, but always wash it first. Resin often has release agent still on it, which stops the paint adhering, so it will need a good clean in warm water, with a little bit of soap.

Look forward to seeing the progress, Storm Lords look ace

Archived