Tutorial - HK Missile to Missile Launcher for Devastators

Volcatus

Introduction

Missile Launchers are a popular and effective choice for Devastator Squads, as we all know. Buying them, however, isn't always practical. Here's a simple method for converting Tactical Marines and all of those HK missile bits that you have lying around into proper Missile Launchers Devastators.

In the following images, the converted HK Missile is on the left, and a Tactical Squad Missile Launcher is on the right.

gallery_45900_6608_208807.jpg
gallery_45900_6608_50722.jpg

Required Items

gallery_45900_6608_184338.jpg

Tools:
-Hobby knife with a brand new, very sharp blade
-Pin vise with 1/8" (3mm) drill bit
-Files
-Sculpting tool

Parts:
-One complete Tactical Marine, minus Bolter
-One complete Space Marine Hunter Killer Missile
-0.060" (1.5mm) plasticard
-Suitable power cable. I use the 0.065" from Dragon Forge Design.
-Green Stuff or equivalent

Modify and Assemble the Launcher

Begin by removing any flashing and clean all mold lines, as best as you can. Next, drill a 1/8" (3mm) hole in the rear end of the launcher tube.

gallery_45900_6608_261802.jpg

In order to imitate the look of the Tactical Squad Launcher, the optics box must be moved to the other side of the launcher assembly. To achieve this, start by removing the cabling section (denoted by the red arrow in the following picture) between the launcher muzzle and the optics plate. At this stage, you will also need to shave the skull from the side of the launcher tube. If you're careful, you can retain the skull and glue it to the opposite side.

gallery_45900_6608_75720.jpg

Glue the muzzle to the launcher tube, and the optics plate to the optics box. Glue the optics box to the side of the launcher tube, aligning the face of the muzzle with the face of the hood of the optics plate.

gallery_45900_6608_335388.jpg

Cut the following shapes (carrying handle and power cable connection point) from plasticard:

gallery_45900_6608_91708.jpg

Use the Tactical Squad Launcher as a guide for the dimensions of each piece. Glue the plasticard pieces and the power cabling to the launcher, fill in any holes with Green Stuff, and allow everything to dry before proceeding.

gallery_45900_6608_167529.jpg

Final Assembly

In the preceding picture, the launcher has been attached to a standard Marine Bolter arm. The only modification involves cutting off the hand at the wrist, and gluing it to the launcher assembly. Cut off the forearm, just above the elbow pad. Reattach the forearm, so it is in the right position to match up to the hand, and allow the launcher to rest on the shoulder pad. Once everything is dry, you can glue the launcher and arm together, and attach the power cable to the gap between the arm and shoulder pad. Green Stuff the wrist joint, using the sculpting tool to create the folds in the joint.

The left arm is more challenging:

gallery_45900_6608_60380.jpg

Again we're using a standard Tactical Marine Bolter arm. Begin by scoring the hand, palm side, across the top of the palm. Score again across the middle joints of the fingers. Carefully open the fingers to create a flat, open hand as seen in the picture. Cut the hand away from the arm. Cut the arm again at the elbow, above the elbow pad.

Green Stuff the gaps in the backs of the fingers, and attach the hand to the side of the launcher. Attach the shoulder to the Marine's torso. Glue the forearm piece between the shoulder and the hand. Green Stuff the wrist joint, using the sculpting tool to create the folds in the joint.

NOTE: The arm portion of the build is a bit of a balancing act. Dry fit as much as possible before gluing to ensure proper alignment.

Thanks for reading. I hope that you find this tutorial to be helpful. Please post or PM any question you might have. Edited by Volcatus

Very nice. I've used these myself for my Long Fangs since GW in their infinite wisdom saw fit to only give us 1 freakin missile launcher in the devastator box. How cruel is that?

Sorry again about the other day, maybe I can get a raincheck for a game sometime.

Very nice. I've used these myself for my Long Fangs since GW in their infinite wisdom saw fit to only give us 1 freakin missile launcher in the devastator box. How cruel is that?

Sorry again about the other day, maybe I can get a raincheck for a game sometime.

Yeah, I'll never understand some of GW's modelling decisions.

And don't sweat it bud. We'll get that game in. :)

Yeah, I'll never understand some of GW's modelling decisions.

And don't sweat it bud. We'll get that game in. :(

it's simple you'll have to bought 4 box! :)

Great tutorial should I get around to making the Blood Angel army I will use this for my guys! They look a lot bulkier and more Devestator like using the HK missiles then the normal ones your see one each Dev sqaud now a days

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
just seen this, very nice.

btw couldn't you simplify things by making a left-handed missile launcher?

I find it easier to do it right-handed, due to the availability of left arms with open hands. It's much easier to swap the targeter box to the other side of the launcher, than it is to sculpt open right hands.

Additionally, one of the goals was to make them look as similar as possible to the standard ML from the Tac Squad box.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Thanks - tried this and it has worked out great.

It also allows different positioning of the launcher

http://i814.photobucket.com/albums/zz66/jonbrooks_photo/B%20and%20S%20WIP/DA%20painting%20challenge/CIMG2567.jpg

http://i814.photobucket.com/albums/zz66/jonbrooks_photo/B%20and%20S%20WIP/DA%20painting%20challenge/CIMG2566.jpg

• 1 year later...