'Lapis' effect.

Zincite

Okay. Posting on behalf of a friend, the new Necron Cryptek miniature painted by 'Eavy metal has a 'Lapis' effect on his back armour and loin-cloth-thing. Looks tasty for power weapons. What's this effect, and how'd they achieve it?

(Just to clarify, this is about the effect, rather than the Xenos miniature. ;))

Can't say I've ever done an effect like this, but when I look very closely it almost seems like they are using (as others have said) a stippling effect with a blue or turquoise wash.

I think the key in this case is the colour mix. Yellow + Blue = Green. They might have started with a bleach bone, or another pale yellow or gold base. From there, dapple and stipple a very thin layer of blue/turquoise over the pale yellow-ish base.

The thin first layers are going to 'mix' (as the blue wash lets the yellow through) creating the oxidizing copper green colour. After each layer is dried, keep dappling and stippling the blue/turquoise, adding more-and-more colour in the directions that you want it to transition to the purer blue/turquoise. More layers means less of the base yellow is showing through the blue wash, and the green effect will fade away to blue/turquoise.

Once that's done a back-blend of blue/turquoise paint in the 'pure' blue areas might be needed, and even a final very thin smoothing wash to blend the two together, followed by highlights.

While the effect is very nice, it looks like it's labour intensive, as many 'Heavy Metal' techniques tend to be. Blending washes like this is actually very easy, but takes time due to how thin the pigment is. If you're willing to take the time (batch painting is your friend here) it produces great 'mottled' effects and can be worth the time.

Can't say I've ever done an effect like this, but when I look very closely it almost seems like they are using (as others have said) a stippling effect with a blue or turquoise wash.

Never tried either (although I already did some experimention with Hawk Turquoise), but if I had to I would use Hawk Turquoise mixed with a small proportion of Space Wolf Grey, then a very light wash of Azurmen Blue mixed with some Thraka Green + some Badab Black in the recesses and highlighting of Space Wolf Grey on the edges. Just my 2 cents recipe. ;)

Archived