Finding Citadel Sand basing equivalents

Hi there,

So after having a tub of the stuff for years, I'm finally running out of Citadel sand basing. I go to my local GW and they're out of stock, so I go to GW's website to place an order. However, the product page states that the sand basing is no longer in stock which leaves me in a conundrum.

Any ideas on where I could find an equivalent sand basing mixture? All my armies use the sand basing in some form so I'd like to stick with it to keep my minis consistent.

Most places that sell model train accessories will have sand of various grades. You can look at hobby/craft stores for colored sand like you put in layers in a small bottle. You will be painting it anyway so so what does it matter if it's blue? ;)

[added pic]

http://shop.hobbylobby.com/assets/item/regular/553032.jpg

This is priced at $2.49 or about 1.5GBP.

I use Scenic Textures -Ballast-Medium.

It came in Fine and heavy as well I went with Medium and use it to base everything. It cost me all of $12.90 NZD and well its a 1000cc bottle of the stuff and I doubt I will ever run out of it, It is however made in NZ but I bet any model train companies will stock something similar.

It honestly depends on what you're looking for.

My wife bought these jars of sand from the dollar tree to do our wedding centrepieces & then her mom bought a bunch as well w/out realizing that we'd already acquired some, so I grabbed the spares, I mix in a little non-clumping cat litter for larger texture & use that mix on my bases.

As others have suggested, real sand is the most straight forward suggestion. But, I find most actual sand doesn't give as much texture as a basing material made for the purpose. Highlighted\dry-brushed basing material just seems to 'pop' more than real sand.

I think it's because true basing material is actually a milled product (made from nut shells, I think) and the grans are of a very consistent size and shape. Unlike most sand that will have smaller dust-like grit mixed in with the larger grains.

Most (all?) of GW's basing materials are actually repackaged Woodland Scenics products. GW gets a discount for buying in bulk, breaks it down into smaller portions, and adds a hefty price markup for putting their name on it. (But I'm not bitter... oh wait, maybe a little)

I'm not sure the exact Woodland Scenics product they use (I'm still using my GW 'sand' from years ago) for their standard basing 'sand', but I'm guessing that it's a mix of fine and medium 'Ballist' found in their ground cover section here: Woodland Scenics Ballist

Or it could be their 'Talus' product (again a fine + medium mix) found here: Woodland Scenics Talus

Note the price they charge for a huge tub (Compared to GW's tub) of any of their products. When my current supply runs out I'll be cutting out the middle man and buying directly from Woodland Scenics.

Edit: Woodland Scenics also has a broad range of other amazing basing and modeling products that you don't even know you want until you see it on their site. When I get to building my themed gaming table I'm sure I'll use at least some of them.

I have used bird cage sand on some large projects due to the different textures in the mix and it includes broken shells which can look "interesting" on the base -

also it is Cheep -_-

I go to the beach for most of my sand or if I'm really in a bind I take a handfull from the sandbox from a local childrens playground. Can't imagine ever paying for sand when it's readily available. All it needs is a bit of drying and sometimes I put it through a sieve, but usually as long as it's dry I use it as is

My folks live near a white-sand beach. I asked my brother to bring back a small sack of the stuff when he went to visit them during his semestral break. I now have enough at the moment to base at least half a dozen chapters.

I can go collect a tub full, wash it and sanitise it (many sea creatures lay eggs in it and the eggs are microscopic), then put it away to use on terrain/basing, whatever.

Why kill the eggs? It would be great to have a chaos sorcerer on a sandy base that little creatures come out of. :D

May be fine on a csm base - but I don't play those deviants, so I purify the sand first.

Wouldn't play with CSM if you paid me. I've never liked their "Evil for the sake of itself" vibe - that and their "nail a baby to my hat" look.

Of the armies from RT that I will never play, they are also grouped in with Orkses, tyranids and the sparkly and flea-ridden marines.

Archived