Star Dragons

Gree

I originally intended to post this in the Liber thread about the Star Dragons, but I figured it might be better to just start a new thread in the Index Astartes. I have finally had a chance to buy and finish reading Accursed Eternity and I might as well show my thoughts.

The novella reveals.......not much about their chapter traditions or culture. I may have missed it but their Primarch is not mentioned at all. The Dragon theme might make one think Vulkan but nothing about their skin is mentioned which leads me to believe it might not be that. So......Guilliman?

However it did contain some facts. Their squads are called ''Scales'' like A D-B did with his Night Lords, calling them Claws. They have a close relationship with the Blood Swords.

A Captain Tanek is noted to command the Star Dragons Sixth Company aboard the strike cruiser Ladon. (Although later he is refered to as the Third Company Captain for some strange reason.) The Company Chaplain is named Iakodos and has a spiffy dragonhide cloak.

Edited by Gree

DEF is correct. There are a few suspected Salamanders successors (Black Dragons and Storm Giants) that do not exhibit the same mutations as the Sallies. The Black Dragons' mutation is attributed to the tampering that was going on during the founding of new Chapters at that time (the 21st Cursed Founding).

So your Chapter could easily be a Sallie successor without exhibiting the black skin and red eyes of their parent Chapter.

True about the Salamanders skin.

I'd think it would be safe that their Founding Legion would be Guillimans. Yet, it could also be Dorn's as much as Vulkan's. Having not read the selection, and with nothing to say otherwise, then making the Salamanders the source of their stock is speculation.

I'd say go with what you want :pinch:

Cool heraldry too! The white back pack with blue armor should develop some interesting patterns concerning PA Veterans and vehicles. Be sure to post pics here or at PCA - I'll be looking forward to them ;)

I don't play Star Dragons this orginally was an information thread to complite information for those interested from a prior thread.

Frankly, if the chapter's not descended from Guilliman I'm not interested in playing it.

Edited by Gree

Frankly, if the chapter's not descended from Guilliman I'm not interested in playing it.

Why so?

Ludovic

I am a rather big fan og Guilliman and the Ultramarines. I would enjoy playing a chapter that is descended from Guilliman, follows Guilliman’s wisdom in battle, follow Guilliman’s ideals and preferably is from the Second Founding. I do not wish to play Ultramarines, since they are far too common already, rather I would play one of their Second Founding Chapters, if not then a chapter descended from a later founding.

Unfortunately I have not found a suitable chapter. I love the Novamarines fluff, but I can’t paint a quartered color scheme to save my life, the same for the Eagle Warriors and their halved color scheme. I liked the Praetors of Orpheus color scheme but white proved very hard to paint. The Genesis Chapter and the Aurora Chapter will suffer from confusion with Blood Angels and Salamanders, and the Doom Eagles are too emo for my liking.

Why so?

Ludovic

I am a rather big fan og Guilliman and the Ultramarines. I would enjoy playing a chapter that is descended from Guilliman, follows Guilliman

Edited by Marshal Wilhelm

Depending on whether or not you are willing to go the extra mile to make painting white happen, here are some links:

Painting my Retribution of Scyrah miniatures.

Stalking Colonel Festus.

These are from my blog on RoS, who use a white paint scheme. Hopefully these are of some use to you. ;)

Thank you. I am not familar with the use of an airbrush however, is that something sold by GW?

If you don't want to get an airbrush for painting white (which seems to dodge the bullet for painting the hardest colour in miniatures) then have you considered the Sons of Orar? Whilst they are also a brilliant red like the BA, the big white shoulders and red Omega should put paid to that. Especially if you dodge away from an abundance of gold, which seems to be a BA fascination :lol:

I considered the Sons of Orar, but from wha I understand somebody at GW invented them as his own personal army and they just don't seem quite right to me, even if I do like their color scheme.

I wouldn't have thought Salamanders and Aurora would have been mixed up, due to the Salamander love of black shoulders and dragon's heads all over things. But if you do find them too close, you might think SoO and BA are too close to....?

You would be suprised how many people mistake the local Aurora player as a Salamander.

Unfortunately, UM seem to have quite a few successors who are white, or are halved/quarted, or white and half/quartered!

What would be ideal for me is the Astral Claws color scheme, incorperating blue and silver, that I certainly like.

Depending on whether or not you are willing to go the extra mile to make painting white happen, here are some links:

Painting my Retribution of Scyrah miniatures.

Stalking Colonel Festus.

These are from my blog on RoS, who use a white paint scheme. Hopefully these are of some use to you. :)

Thank you. I am not familar with the use of an airbrush however, is that something sold by GW?

If you don't want to get an airbrush for painting white (which seems to dodge the bullet for painting the hardest colour in miniatures) then have you considered the Sons of Orar? Whilst they are also a brilliant red like the BA, the big white shoulders and red Omega should put paid to that. Especially if you dodge away from an abundance of gold, which seems to be a BA fascination :lol:

I considered the Sons of Orar, but from wha I understand somebody at GW invented them as his own personal army and they just don't seem quite right to me, even if I do like their color scheme.

I wouldn't have thought Salamanders and Aurora would have been mixed up, due to the Salamander love of black shoulders and dragon's heads all over things. But if you do find them too close, you might think SoO and BA are too close to....?

You would be suprised how many people mistake the local Aurora player as a Salamander.

Unfortunately, UM seem to have quite a few successors who are white, or are halved/quarted, or white and half/quartered!

What would be ideal for me is the Astral Claws color scheme, incorperating blue and silver, that I certainly like.

GW doesn't sell a proper airbrush, and the version they sell is not very good.

Here is some articles on airbrushes: B&C airbrush discussion.

Advanced Tau Tactica

If you are from North America, you can get them quite easily. You will also need a compressor. So you'd need to be spending $200+ for the combination. Not cheap, but it depends if you are working (and so have spare dollars) and if you want to save time painting. To be honest, I wish I had one earlier :P

Here is another article: The Colonel's thread and this is of Colonel Festus's RoS minis. The Myrmidons [dreadnought kinda things] were airbrushed. I think the white looks very smooth.

Yeah, if you don't want your dudes to be mistaken for something else, and don't want to DIY [which is kind of like explaining your Aurora's aren't Salamanders, imo] then your choices narrow :wacko:

Maybe it would be easier to have them as UM?

Maybe not 2nd Co. but one of the other Battle Companies? But I know some people feel 2nd. Co. is UM, due to the iconic'ness of the scheme and it being used so often by GW.

The Astral Claws do look cool. But are they UMish enough?

They do have some Forge World love, if you have the spare cash :D

I understand your frustrations on picking a Chapter. Many are cool, but are they cool enough [ie, do they satisfy all your wants]?

When playing Space Marine, I still fidget between Chapters, as I think they are generally all cool. No one ticks all the boxes for me.

I don't like no Devs or Librarians for Templars, for example.:lol:

Good luck!

Edited by Marshal Wilhelm

Maybe not 2nd Co. but one of the other Battle Companies? But I know some people feel 2nd. Co. is UM, due to the iconic'ness of the scheme and it being used so often by GW.

I like the Third Company, but it's already been fleshed out.

They do have some Forge World love, if you have the spare cash :lol:

Well, for all I love as the Astral Claws as a scheme they went traitor and really no longer exist. That is kinda a big stumbling block.

I considered Storm Wardens as a replacement for the similar color scheme, but they are not Guilliman sucessors.

I like the Third Company, but it's already been fleshed out.

They do have some Forge World love, if you have the spare cash :wacko:

Well, for all I love as the Astral Claws as a scheme they went traitor and really no longer exist. That is kinda a big stumbling block.

I considered Storm Wardens as a replacement for the similar color scheme, but they are not Guilliman sucessors.

Yeah, not everyone wants to 'retro' play their games with present traitors, etc.

3rd Co. is with the red trims. What has been fleshed out with them? Are you looking at some fluff writing to do?

Storm Wardens are unknown, which could be frustrating if they then said they were of Dorn, etc. Hmmm.

They are really into the Codex though :lol:

:lol: Hmmmm.

I don't know....

However it did contain some facts. Their squads are called ''Scales'' like A D-B did with his Night Lords, calling them Claws.

Not that it matters much in the context of this thread but I think the term "Claws" pre-dated ADBs novels... I think (not sure though) maybe it was in the Index Astartes article? I have to check...

Following on from the alternative colours thread - silver is a viable subsitute for white that is codex approved, specifically for veterans. It would be codex legal for example to have a 1st Company Marines Errant or Eagle Warriors army that replaced the white half for silver. There's also the Silver Skulls or Fire Angels for the entirely silver armour.

Following on from the alternative colours thread - silver is a viable subsitute for white that is codex approved, specifically for veterans. It would be codex legal for example to have a 1st Company Marines Errant or Eagle Warriors army that replaced the white half for silver. There's also the Silver Skulls or Fire Angels for the entirely silver armour.

We and Legatus had an entire discussion on that actually. Suffice to say, the use of white for silver and vice-versa is disputed.

Although I would note that the entirely of the Marines Errant chapter evidently has silver replacing their white halves in the Badab War books.

3rd Co. is with the red trims. What has been fleshed out with them? Are you looking at some fluff writing to do?

Yeah, I like to do fluff writing, I wrote a bunch of short stories about the Praetors of Orpheus Third Company in my sig. It's why I'm so reluctant to go Sons of Orar, since they were originally someone else's army.

Edited by Gree

Actually, I think it will be the Praetors. I just discovered P3 Morrow White, it is so much better than GW's Skull white. I can actually paint white now that doesn't look absolutely horrible.

In Australia, it is harder to get P3 paints, compared to how widespread GW paints are. But you get 50% more paint for the same price, which is pretty sweet!

On the PP forums, the studio painters have some interaction with the forum posters, which helped me in my quest for getting white right.

LINK

It is nice getting the info from the professionals.

I'm not sure if P3 metallics are on par with GW's, but everything else certainly seems to be. So if you can get your hands on the P3 range, go for it :lol:

I think the Praetors of Orpheus look good ;)