Agents of the Imperium

Doghouse

As usual your work continues to inspire and astound me in equal measure.

Your Serrano and Utrecht figures are fantastic (as are the others), the muscle bulk is perfect as are the proportions and the sculpting work is perfectly smooth. The bionic leg on Serrano looks just like the one on the original 40k space marine captain figure.

Do you work from a wire armature for your pieces and if so what do you use to bulk out with?

Thanks mate, I sincerely appreciate the compliment. :pinch:

For the armatures I just bulk the wire frame out with GS to form the musculature then then build up the clothing over the top pretty much like you are doing with your scout legs at the moment. These two though are based on a special armature that I custom built for making truescale marines a while back to save myself some time.

You hit the nail on the head with the bionic leg reference as that is the model that I'm basing it on. I need to clean it up quite a bit yet though.

Well I guess I will, I mean, we will have to just settle for a 'guest star' role for the Summoners. For now. ;) . Would love to see a converted dread, are we to assume it will be a Contemptor dread?

I like the Bounty Hunter, is it a Dark Eldar modle? Can't quite make out what is originally was? Love the technomat, just reeks grim dark 40K - reminds me of an older Mr Blanche drawing :P

Hmm, is that Serrano (or the bodyguard fellow...) fellow a left over of your 42mm project?

Digging the models, fit in nicely with some of the Inquisimunda or =][=Munda stuff I've been seeing around. Check this out by the way, it seems to be a "next step" in that trend.

So what else have you got planned? It would be nice to see a dropship of a sorts added...

Cheers guys! :)

Dorns padawan: Yeah the dread will probably be something along the lines of the Contemptor. To include it in the army I'll probably have to do some tinkering to try and explain the psychic pilot rules that the GK dreads get but already have some ideas about that.

I'm toying around with a possible scout sculpt for Inq28 at the moment so may have to make that into a Summoner as well, I'll see how it goes. I will have to get back to doing them properly as a marine army at some point, hopefully early next year I'll be in a better position to have a bit of a proper splurge and get myself some FW marines as I'd love to do them all in Mk V armour.

Yeah the Bounty Hunter is the Succubus model but I've sculpted some more human looking hair and am playing around with the mini at the moment. Ideally I'm going to add some Spyrer inspired bits as I want her to be a former Necromundan noble that is tagging along with a bounty hunter out of boredom.

Malika666: It's pretty much an original sculpt intended for this little project but I am still working on some original sculpts at the moment. I've got a got a bit more done on him so will post an update asap.

I do have a stretched Storm Raven I made ages ago that will be used as a personal transport for one of the Inquisitors or maybe one of the Mercs. I'm tempted to get some drop pods and go all out on something completely crazy but it'll have to wait til christmas is out of the way first.

There should be plenty of Inq28 minis popping up in the meantime, working on some admech stuff and a weird pro-imperial cult to accompany the Witch Hunter.

Great stuff Doghouse, I just checked out the Inq28 link - sounds pretty dam cool mate!! Certainly like the idea. Got some great scope for mini's & background fluff. Out of interest, how do you go about making the hood? I tried having a bash at it for a Admech Magi I have started to do, really struggled in making the hood smooth when letting it cure & going over it with a clay shaper (being as the GS is quite flimsy) to remove the finger marks. Like the sound of the Stormraven as their vessel!

Cheers guys! ;)

Dorn's Padawan: I tend to stick a blob on the top of the head then smooth and shape it around the face. Another way is to flatten out a piece of GS and drape it over the top of the head, if you are carefully you can even work the folds in as you go.

If you use the clay shaper and move it around in small circles you should be able to get rid of finger marks but you will need to push areas back up from the other side once you done it and go back and forth a bit.

Batu: Yeah Kage hit the nail in the head there for the parts. I'm going to try and work some more parts onto her that are alien in origin so it looks like she has been trading with the likes of Rogue Traders and what not before she came into the employ of the Inquisitor.

Very nice indeed - I always like seeing your work as you seem to really channel the gothic, over-the-top element of the 40K background and artwork that hooked me in the first place. Very much looking forward to seeing these guys done.

By the way, regarding your marine. If you're going for zealous, you could use a Bretonnian 'shrine' piece that would fit nicely on the backpack. It's like a triptych with a skull in the centre, if memory serves and can fit on the shoulders of the original knight models.

Thanks mate. :P

I'll definitely look into that shrine idea, I think that because he is so big there is a lot of open space on the model that will benefit from detailing like that.

Just a quick update.

To accompany Tavera on his exploits I've now made a couple of more bounty hunters to go with him. The first is basically a hunter that lives for the thrill of the chase, he's your typical big game hunter and I can imagine him being a little like Roger Moore in a lot of respects. :P

He'll be the leader of the small band of warriors that Tavera uses from time to time.

http://i39.tinypic.com/aw2gkg.jpg

http://i42.tinypic.com/2yx0rau.jpg

Following him is that Pit Fighter model that I'm working on to go with them.

http://i43.tinypic.com/6oexkx.jpg

http://i43.tinypic.com/6zve9v.jpg

Very impressive stuff Doghouse. Thanks for the tip, will try that one out later on with the hood. I like the pit fighter & again, excellent GS skills.

I really like how well you manage to get the creases of the uniforms & the collars on the uniforms done. Gonna have a bit of an experimental GS day myself tomorrow when I get some more GS.

How long did the pit fighter take to make?

Thanks mate. :D

Yeah that's the thing with GS it's all about practice, the trick is just to stick at it and regardless of how you feel about the result keep pushing yourself.

I haven't had to spend too much time on the pit fighter so far as it was a case of cutting off the chest from the nurgle lord and basically resculpting the chest and stomach area from scratch so it's only taken about forty minutes so far. Still needs a lot of clean up work but I'm slowly getting to the point where I'm getting excited now about painting the first few models.

The other Bounty Hunter guy has taken a little longer so far as I had to carefully cut the model at the waist and then extend the torso, rebuilding the lower half of the arms with GS and resculpting the lower half of the torso.

At the moment I'm reworking the folds on the back of the coat and need to clean up the sides. Did have to take a deep breath before starting though as the Lord Castellan Creed model is seriously nice in finecast and it seemed like a shame to cut him up.

The head was from Sicarus which left me with the Creed head which seemed a natural fit for the pit fighter.

These look awesome as always Doghouse. The Pitfighter reminds me a bit of the chaingun guys from DooM. Im also sure ive seen a piece of artwork thats very similar as well. Cannot remember where though. Anyway...loving your work mate. <_<

http://i39.tinypic.com/aw2gkg.jpg

Fantastic work mate! You seem to really have got much better with GS lately, not sure if your other work hasn't tested you or you are putting lots of effort in this time! Not sure on the forward facing holsters but thats personal/professional taste. Over all though a seriously awesome peice!

Cheers guys! ;)

Biohazard: Yeah it is a shameless typical big bloke with weapons for arms. The guy I was thinking of funnily enough whilst making him was the executioner from 300. I did try two chainswords but it didn't really work so stuck a flamer on there instead.

batu: I must admit I do have a soft spot for him as well and came close to making him the Inquisitor. I may have to use him as one in regular 40k as part of the GK army.

Pulse: I think that it's a combination of me being in the creative dull drums and having to push myself because I need to blend them to match the detail on the models. I think Finecast was timed well for me and has given me a second wind as far as sculpting goes, I still have a long way to go before I can get to the standard I'd be happy with. ;)

The holsters come like that on the model like Kage pointed out but I think that it's partially for the cross armed double pistol draw but mostly because if they were facing the other way you'd lose them in the coat.

Brother Chaplain Kage: Extending the torso does seem to work well on the Creed model, the trick is to cut it in half just above the holsters so that you don't cut the top off the pommel of the sword that is hidden away at the back of his cloak.

Pulse: I think that it's a combination of me being in the creative dull drums and having to push myself because I need to blend them to match the detail on the models. I think Finecast was timed well for me and has given me a second wind as far as sculpting goes, I still have a long way to go before I can get to the standard I'd be happy with. :rolleyes:

The holsters come like that on the model like Kage pointed out but I think that it's partially for the cross armed double pistol draw but mostly because if they were facing the other way you'd lose them in the coat.

Yeh it certainly looks like finecast given you a little jolt, im glad as well, its always awesome to see you in full flow.

As for the cross armed draw, that is a little "wild west" for my tastes but it does give the model a certain character. :lol:

Cheers guys!

A lot of people have been saying he'd be a good Rogue Trader model so I might go with that. I've begun cleaning up the base on him now, as I have been doing with the whole crew so he should be ready for painting soon.

I think that I may have to make him into either an RT or a Free Charter Captain in the employ of the Inquisitor. The group is starting to take shape nicely now and with any luck I'll have my final selection of the six or so models to accompany which ever Inquisitor I go with.

Archived