Clear Coat Question

Anybody got suggestions for the best brand of Matte finish spray that will protect your paintjob without affecting the look of the final product?

The more layers that light passes through making it slow down, meaning colors are less vibrant then they would be with just about ANY clear coat, sorry bud, them are the breaks. I use Testor's Dull Coat for just about everything, it produces a nice dead flat finish, protects well and it is cheap. On occasion I will add a very light layer of future floor polish via my air brush, this just tricks the eye and brings back a little of the color....bottom line is though if you dont want the colors to change, dont clear coat.

Ashton

A gloss coat will actually keep colours slightly more vibrant than a Satin or Matte finish. Redfinger is right, any clear-coat is going to alter paint colour, at least slightly. Gloss will refract light less than Matte. Gloss, naturally, will also make the paint look wet and most want to avoid this.

On a side note, Gloss also tends to protect better. Some people do a light Gloss coat, and then dull it with a light Matte/Satin coat. I like to add a quick brush on of gloss to tips, points, and decals before adding spray-on clear coat.

Try a Stain from any quality maker (I like Krylon, but other suggested names are great) if you want a one-simple-coat solution.

Usually, the slight change in paint colour is offset by the way varnish 'unifies' the paint job, in my opinion. If the change in colour is any more then very slight, you might be using too much clear coat. You don't need much more then a few 'ghosting' sweeps of the spray can. It can take some practice, since it's hard to tell just how much is being applied.

Archived