Questions about a diorama build

freakytah

OK so this is kind of a random question. Along with this hobby, I also keep planted aquariums and planted vivariums for fish and dart frogs. I have been thinking about giving a diorama a shot, and thought it might look cool if I combined the two ideas and created a living 40k terrarium (5 gallon tank or so). I'm thinking about trying to create an old jungle battle site, with maybe some decayed fortifications and/or maybe some destroyed rusted out vehicles, along with a variety of small tropical plants that would "reclaim" the battle site, hopefully with a cool effect, growing over/through the wreckage. I haven't decided on all the plants yet, but I'd be going with lots of miniatures with very small leaves to hopefully give it a realistic look (maybe a carnivorous plant as well like a venus fly trap or pitcher plant for a nice dangerous 40k feel).

So on to my question.... Does anyone know of a US based site to buy vehicle bits to build destroyed vehicles? Would that even save me any cash as opposed to the buying the boxed vehicle? Since I'm still only building my first army I'd have a hard time paying $50 bucks for something that I'm just going to smash up, and wouldn't be able to field with my army! Anyone think this idea might be cool, or on the other hand a complete waste of time and end up looking stupid?

Thanks for any ideas, sorry if this is a noob-ish question!

OK so this is kind of a random question. Along with this hobby, I also keep planted aquariums and planted vivariums for fish and dart frogs. I have been thinking about giving a diorama a shot, and thought it might look cool if I combined the two ideas and created a living 40k terrarium (5 gallon tank or so). I'm thinking about trying to create an old jungle battle site, with maybe some decayed fortifications and/or maybe some destroyed rusted out vehicles, along with a variety of small tropical plants that would "reclaim" the battle site, hopefully with a cool effect, growing over/through the wreckage. I haven't decided on all the plants yet, but I'd be going with lots of miniatures with very small leaves to hopefully give it a realistic look (maybe a carnivorous plant as well like a venus fly trap or pitcher plant for a nice dangerous 40k feel).

So on to my question.... Does anyone know of a US based site to buy vehicle bits to build destroyed vehicles? Would that even save me any cash as opposed to the buying the boxed vehicle? Since I'm still only building my first army I'd have a hard time paying $50 bucks for something that I'm just going to smash up, and wouldn't be able to field with my army! Anyone think this idea might be cool, or on the other hand a complete waste of time and end up looking stupid?

Thanks for any ideas, sorry if this is a noob-ish question!

Not sure of anywhere that would save you money... FW do some but they cost as much if not more... You could try scratch building... You can find a lot of good templates on the web...

tbh if your not fssed about the condition (which i guess isnt much of a concern if you plan on cutting them up), ebay? jsut piock up a load of unpopular tanks, that have been mashed together, should be able to pick them up for cheap (about 8or 9 quid i'd guess)

eBay is your best bet - type in "slightly used but otherwise mint model tank" and you're sure to get a bunch of twisted, broken plastic parts for cheap! I'd suggest www.thewarstore.com, haven't browsed their inventory lately but they may well deal in stuff you're after. They have tanks, they have terrain, etc.

I'd also recommend ebay. If the tanks are meant to be wrecks then just pick up some knackered tanks that are listed under 'spares and repairs' on the cheap. A decent, several hour trawl through ebay listings is probably a good idea - you never know what you might find. B)

Archived