Inspirational Friday 11/18/2011

Brother Nihm

Well my top traitor primarch is Angron, followed shortly by the Lion, but I do like all of these traitor primarchs pretty well.

Pahahahaha are you actively trying to pick a fight with the Dark Angels? <_<

Saa

....or something like that

Must ....contain....rage...against...clearly a loyalist.....fanboi........

ok.......to start

-Horus is terrible: Lex Luthor on steroids. His only dream is killing superman/the emperor, because he is so much better than him. He has a magalomaniac ego, is weak, vain and arrogant, and his fall to chaos is simply patethic. No no, this one is just crap. Oh, and he is bald on top of that...

Right here....this is where you lost any credibility.....regardless of the rest this was point one. Lex Luthor on steroids? No...just no. Horus was the greatest Primarch.....hands down (caveat this topic requested favourites not 'the best')

To defend the deluded and potentially loyalist fool a little here... I personally always hated Lorgar (No offense :P) because I always considered him to be weak. However when I used the term weak I didn't mean in terms of combat prowess (Although people often believe he was weak at combat... I guess this is partially to do with him historically having little written about him and also him being one of the thinking primarchs like Magnus but without the ability to fire lasers out of his eyes.) but in terms of character. I always found him a little annoying and irritating which are not good descriptions for a super-human. Now in Lorgars defence I'm considering changing my opinion after reading some of the newer books that cover him... he is certainly more interesting now... I haven't decided if I still consider him weak or not.

In fact a criticism I've heard from a number of people is that they feel a number of primarchs joined Horus for very weak reasons... personally I think that a lot of this will become more complex as other primarchs have their stories expanded in the HH series.

If you believe that the primarchs should be better than normal humans, not prone to some of the lesser human emotions and feelings then it is very easy to feel that the Chaos primarchs are weak, in all honesty all of the primarchs (Chaos or otherwise) are flawed and that is what makes them interesting. One of the things I dislike about the Emperor is that he is often portrayed (by fanbois) as being just short of perfect and all powerful... That being the case 40K case makes little sense except maybe in a few scenarios.

Well my top traitor primarch is Angron, followed shortly by the Lion, but I do like all of these traitor primarchs pretty well.

Pahahahaha are you actively trying to pick a fight with the Dark Angels? ;)

Saa

....or something like that

My three favourite traitors are the Magnus, the Lion, and Perturabo, in that order.

Huh, the net ate my reply, apparently. Oh well, here we go again.

What was i saying? Well, short resume: i am not upset by "net aggression syndrome" some guys are subject to, and, actually, i find that, usually, when you meet them up close they are pretty reasonable folks. So, no offence taken.

The only loyalist army i collected (or, rather, am collecting right now) is the Knights of Blood ba successors, and even they have been declared renegade.

The only legions i like are the NL and the IW, and my utter dislike of all other legions (or loyalist chapters, for that matter) may make my judjement on the primarchs a bit biased. I understand some people have different ideas than my own, and that's a good thing actually. How boring would life be, otherwise?

I am, however, somewhat taken aback by the fact anyone does not see the luthor/horus thing. Identical looks aside, they are both reckless megalomaniacs with an all powerful enemy. This may be an anagraphic things, however. Younger gamers (or, simply, those that are not on the wrong side of the 40's as i am) might simply not consider luthor such an iconic, significant character. The other "personality" that obviously inspired horus, Mussolini, might also be just a far away character, a name with little or no implications on a youngling's life. Fair enough, to be honest.As far as i am concerned, my traitor legionaries will keep the cool, spiky armour but wont give half a thought to uncaring, barely sentient "things" in the netherwere. They have their own agendas of conquest and bloodshed :D

Cheers

As far as the inspiration for Horus betrayal, I see the biblical connections much more clearly than anything else.

There's definitely that, along with a whole host of generally mythological themes, ideas and subjects from a whole host of traditions. That's one of the beauties of 40K; it's a vast melting pot of influences; historical, mythological; even popular (the various references to Apocalypse Now threaded through the Night Lord's history, for example). Chaos itself owes more than a passing debt to Lovecraftian fiction and the bizarre metaphysics of the Old Ones mythology. Also, the general tone of the 40K universe is one of Lovecraftian despair; there is very little in the way of hope or redemption in this universe; "...only an eternity of war and the laughter of thirsting Gods."

As far as the inspiration for Horus betrayal, I see the biblical connections much more clearly than anything else.

This is how I've always seen it, and one of the reasons I haven't read any of the HH books. I'm not interested in stripping away the mystique of the Heresy and making it a military operation. Personally speaking it works better for me as a hazy dream-like clash of titans. The only unfortunate side-effect of such a stance is my utter shock at what seems to be ridiculousness to me (Alpharius Omega...who?!) or somesuch nonsense about Lupercals and such that I get lost on. :lol:

Hi all,

well, i know he barely qualifies as a chaos primarch, but it's Curze.

I like his ghoulish looks, love that he is not bald (!!!!), and that he is a nihilistic, self destructive bastard.

I also like the fact he scorns all forms of faith and, unlike the weak and fearful herd of chaos, des not really pursue immortaity.

The only other i can (barely) tolerate is perturabo. True,he is now a freakish demon prince (though i imagine him more like a giant dreadnought than a winged minotaur), but i like his methodical approach to warfare. I also like the concept of cyborg, so his legion is one of my favoued.

The other vary from "meh" to "utter crap".

-Horus is terrible: Lex Luthor on steroids. His only dream is killing superman/the emperor, because he is so much better than him. He has a magalomaniac ego, is weak, vain and arrogant, and his fall to chaos is simply patethic. No no, this one is just crap. Oh, and he is bald on top of that...

-Alpharius we dont know much about, i'll suspend judjement on this one, for now.

-Angron is boring, an hyperactive scallywag with problems. Also, now, he is an ugly demon prince. Meh.

-Mortarion started off pretty well: he was raised in a planet ruled by undeadish overlords (way cool!), and had his death guard wear bone coloured plate, not bad. Then he became corrupted by nurgle, and his legion started to dvelope swollen bellies and pus boils. nd, again, he became an ugly demon prince. No no, not my cup of tea.

-Magnus...well, you may sometimes feel sympathy for old one eye, after all he was rather faultless. I also appreciate that, from the HH art, as an ugly demon he is the last changed of the primarchs (basically he has wings, and that's it). This is quite remarkable for a servant of the lord of change. However, his legion is broken, and he seems to be too obsessed with peering into the futre/unknown to be really interesting. Not the worst of the lot, but still kind of meh.

-Lorgar i never liked, not even one bit. A demonic fanatic who thinks religion is the ultimate salvation of mankind. Oh, c'mon.

-Fulgrim is, perhaps, the worst. Well no, horus is worse, but he comes second (saved only by non being bald). We can, however, pity him a bit: he ended up being a four armed snake, that's bad enough per se. When reading the novel, i really found him a disgustngly puny and despicable figure, sad and bitter for no particular reason. His marines were no better, a group of deluded fools with bad taste for clothing\amour. Kind of rocky horror picture show freaks in lipsticks and leather. Just 8 feet tall and clad in armour.

Bleach.

:( -_-

Nonsense.

Anyway.

I'm intrigued by Mortarion, I really want a book to tell us more about him. He's the Grim Reaper walking. Too cool.

Lorgar is a close second.

it's a vast melting pot of influences; historical, mythological; even popular (the various references to Apocalypse Now threaded through the Night Lord's history, for example).

Without being too pedantic, the influence regarding the Night Lords is actually a novel published in the early part of the 20th century called Heart of Darkness written by Joseph Conrad about a despot named Kurtz (hence the Primarch Konrad Curze).

Apocalypse Now was in it's day a modern adaptation of Heart of Darkness changing location from the Belgian Congo to Cambodia ;)

Saa

........or something like that

I think it's fair to assume that both the novel by Conrad (and his novel Nostromo gets a nod. :Elite: ) and the movie that was loosely based on it both give material to the structure of the Nightlords and their Primarch. One doesn't have to look farther than the Martin Sheen/M'Shen connection for the smallest example of this. :P

:jaw: :P

Nonsense.

Anyway.

I'm intrigued by Mortarion, I really want a book to tell us more about him. He's the Grim Reaper walking. Too cool.

Lorgar is a close second.

Well, what little we know about mortarion comes from the (rather evocative) index astartes article, and some novels centered on the death guard (those starring Garro). I like his early history, and he was fine as a primarch, imho, however, nurgle spoiled it all. And, again, this mania of becoming demons...

As others have said, of course, most of the NL history comes from HoD, and some other names also derive from other Conrad's novels. Not bad, huh? Again, AN was inspired by the novel, very libeally, if you will, but still in a way you can actually connect the two rather easily.

Horus himself. He's alwas been my favorite. I've always liked tragic, fallen hero stories and Horus is a good one. Plus it doesn't hurt he's the Black Legion's primarch. Magnus has always been a close second.

I really feel Angron needs his own book. I'm convinced there's a great story there...

Alpharius and Omegon without a doubt. Loved them in Legion and I generally love them and their Legion. Alpha Legion fan-boy all the way :D

Ludovic

I must admit, after reading Legion, I was very struck with the subtleties and ambiguities introduced concerning the Alpha Legion's motives and operations. In particular, I was taken by the notion that at least one portion of the legion may be ostensibly fighting on the side of Chaos in order to ensure that Chaos burns itself out; that they have made the ultimate sacrifice of their own nobility, their own souls, and become monsters in order to save the universe from total and utter destruction. Whether this still holds sway over the majority of the Legion is up for debate; the existence of the second Primarch, Omegon, clouds matters a little, as it seems that one or other of the brothers may be dead, but which one (if either)? And where do their loyalties now lie? Have they become full fledged Traitors, or are they sort of the Chaos equivalent of the Dark Angels, their seeming loyalties masking a much grander, more machiavellian agenda? Great stuff.

I don't know I dont really like any of the traitors primarchs.

But then again they are designed to be unlikeable.

Horus is up there but what prevents him being number 1 is he fact that he was loyal and did not fall willingly.

Lorgar is a bit too weak willed for my liking. The rest are either too arrogant in their attitude to be seen to be paragons in the first place (fulgrim, angron, magnus, mortarion and perturabo.) So it's probably alpharius because he and omegon had humanity as their reason for "betrayal". Curze I think we have too little info and it's contradictory.

Has to be Angron.

Now I am a WE fanboy but I love the whole instant betrayal of his back story. His 'father' turns up after years away and decides hes not allowed to play with the rough boys anymore so teleports him onto his ship the night before the final battle ensuring years of teenage angst in which he destroys half the universe for satisfaction. In a nutshell. But he does have a side that a lot of people dismiss ie his whole martial pride and honour. He had fought and bled with these men most of his life and he had led the whole revolt so felt it was his place to die alongside them. Big E turns up and just ruins everything.

He was always going to be the easiest to lure to Chaos as he was always borderline renegade anyway.

I like the fact that he has ascended to Daemonhood.

I hate the whole World Eaters/Khorne worshippers are nuts so when they get bored they cut themselves though. Thats just stupid.

Close 2nd has to be Horus though just through sheer all round badassness. He convinced fully half of the legions to ditch Big E and go it their own way. Thats gonna take some doing. Plus he was able to in a sense take charge and have some level of control over all the Legions prior to the heresy.

I have to say though I really dislike the Emperor. I mean really dislike him. Just have the decency to die instead of having countless random punters sacrifice themselves every day.

Angron, mostly because I'm a fan of melee combat and martial honour, but, visually, he is awesome as well. Also because he was able to dig his way out of a multi-multi-ton pile of rubble in time to finish his bloodshed.

Also, he seems to be the only Primarch with a genuinely good reason to dislike the Emperor. All the others amassed their own piles of fetid trouble.

Magnus.

The most tragic fall of them all, being almost the only one to have been driven away for attempting to serve his lord and master.

Then, when his service to the one Chaos god that actually has a plan comes into being, he and his legion become a classic case of brains over brawn.

Archived