Best place to get modelling tools.

CutlassCam

Short list:

Art Store - Fine (No. 11) Razor blades, Adhesives, Paint Brushes - both high and low quality, Modeling tools, Cutting pads, Mould making materials (I shop locally, mostly)

Hobby Shop - Scratch building supplies, Plastics, Adhesives, Basing materials, Pin Vices, Paints, Primers, Sealants, Decal related products, Air Brushes (Again, mostly local)

Jewellery Supply - High quality Files, Razor Saws, Bench Pins, Fine Drill Bits, Mini Anvils and Vices, Pliers and Clippers of all kind (The quality of 'jewellery tools' can't be beat, period. I order from Contenti and Rio Grande)

Hardware Store - Lamps and Compact Florescent Lights, Metal cutters, Mallets, Heavy Razor blades, and all sorts of other 'heavier' tools you might need. (And again, I shop locally)

In many cases there will be overlap in what you can get at certain places. An Art Store will have many of the things a Hobby Shop will carry, for example. But, when it comes to the things you can get from a Jewellery Supply, I haven't found anywhere else that can compare. The files, saws, and drill bits are hit-and-miss (at best) or complete crap (at worse) compared to a Jewellery Supply place. Plus, many times the prices for the inferior tools are comparable, or worse, to the quality ones. (I'm looking at you GW)

And finally, as a shameless personal plug, have a look at my blog if you'd like to read me talking at length about many of the tools (and other miniature workshop items) that I use all the time. Once I got my hands on some good tools, it made me understand just how much of a handicap using bad tools can be. Quality tools won't replace skill, technique, and patients, but they will have a noticeable improvement compared to cheap tools.

Once again Mr. Discord thank you very much, I'll have a browse and see what I can afford.

Do you notice a big difference with the brushes? Are they not made from the same fibres? (Boars' hair if my memory serves me well.)

And I shall be reading your blog tonight, seems like some helpful stuff.

Sable brushes are what I would consider the standard, with Kolinsky Sable being premium. Synthetic bristle (Taklon) brushes are passable cheap for doing rough work, but they wear out quickly.

Can you get good results with a low-to-medium quality brush? Absolutely. But after using medium quality brushes for years, I'm glad I finally spent a little money on a select few high quality Kolinsky Sable brushes. I started with just two (A #1 and a #0), and when they lasted for over two years and were still in good shape, I was sold. I bought four more, and they are all I use for most of my painting. If you treat good brushes well, they hold up really well. I still use my first two I bought 6+ years ago.

Beyond holding up well, they just paint... better. They hold their tip better, never split, have better spring, hold more paint per dip, and just 'glide' better. As with any good tool. They won't 'make' you a good painter, but they'll help the paint go where you want it.

• 3 weeks later...

try www.micromark.com

I've done business with them for about 20 years now, GREAT company, fast service, and being model builders, they buy all sorts of tools that work for what we need, which aren't normally model tools. They have dental stuff, ear forceps, etc. Get the catalog, you'll see...

<_<

My whole modelling tool kit cost peanuts. Wilkinsons for small files, side cutters and a steel ruler, Poundland for craft knives (2 large and several small retractable types in the same pack for a quid. Don't get their scalpel set - the handles dont grip the blades hard enough) and tweezers. My paint brushes are from Rymans, i forget the brand but they're gold handled with a nice rubber cushioned grip. Wilkinsons also do big bottles of PVA glue, and Model Zone have a good range of plastic glues (i like Revell Exacta @ £2.49 cos it has a really fine applicator tip). The whole lot lives in a £4.99 tool box, again from Wilko's.

Antenocitis Workshop Site is a good one. Cheap, carry quite a selection of tools and supplies and also stock pretty much the entire Vallejo range of paints at seriously low prices ;)

And I second E-Bay as I got a great set of files on there for around £2.50.

Archived