Games Workshop Specials

IronKobra

Now I have the book. For £18 I reckon it's really nice! Very good quality, I feel like I got my monies worth.

Now my Question is about the brush set?

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/...Id=prod1390084a

Anyone got it, tried it? I can't see it being with the £30 since glaze medium is nothing new and the case while nice will be forgotten about in 5 mins. But how are the brushes?

Like alot of GW's hobby tools - it's usually rebranded and repacked, with a suitable boost to the price. :D

The brushes might be of a higher quality than usual but since I haven't got them I cannot say for sure. Either way 30 odd quid for the set seems about par for the course for GW - a little more expensive than it seems it should be. The case itself is neither here nor there. It's a nice trinket but not absolutely necessary.

I'd say that the brush set is way overpriced. If you want decent brushes go for some Winsor Newton Series 7 Brushes, I've got 2 a size 1 and a 0 I think, they are brilliant. Probably some of the finest brushes you can get, I mean, each brush is tested by hand after it's made! and each brush is around £7 for the sizes we use, still expensive brushes, but worth it.

- Dan -

I'd say that the brush set is way overpriced. If you want decent brushes go for some Winsor Newton Series 7 Brushes, I've got 2 a size 1 and a 0 I think, they are brilliant. Probably some of the finest brushes you can get, I mean, each brush is tested by hand after it's made! and each brush is around £7 for the sizes we use, still expensive brushes, but worth it.

- Dan -

Any advice one where to get said brushes in the UK?

I got mine from Tindalls, a small art shop chain, but amazon carries them, and any "proper" art shop should have them, you may have to ask for them, as they are normally kept in locked cases behind tills. Which is nice becuase it means people haven't been playing with the brushes and ruining the tips.

Some nice prices on Ken Bromley Art Supplies

Also, small thing while on this topic, I strongly recommend gettign some acrylic drying retarder if you don't use it already, slows drying time which is a bonus for blending and custome paint mixes (I had thinned paint stay wet on my pallette for a day and a half) and less chance of paint drying in your nice expensive brush.

Hope this has been of some help

- Dan -

places like hobbycraft sell them, although they tend to be overpriced.. if you have a local "art" shop chances are they can order them in for you (the winsor and newton site has a "nearest stockist" option which works off postcode) and you can also get them online.

in general a size 0 brush from the series 7 range should suit you for most stuff, theyre awesome brushes and far FAR better than the gw ones imho and well worth the cost if you take care of them.

I have been looking into it for a while and checking on cool mini forums too as there seems to be a lot more topics specifically on this kind of thing but all help is appreciated, cheers guys!

So what sizes would be comparable to like a standard, a detail and a fine detail?

No problem mate, I've got a fairly extensive background in historical figure modelling, where things like this are discussed more. So if there's anything else just give us a shout.

I reckon sizes like a 1, 0 and 000 would fit the bill, although the 000 might be smaller than the fine detail brush.

- Dan -

Another brand I like is Loew-Cornell. Also called La Corneille but this refers to a certian line of brushes by them.

I love their long script liner brushes. They hold paint better without worry about getting it up in the ferrule.

http://www.loew-cornell.com/filebin/images/products/full/LCp_full_7050.jpghttp://www.loew-cornell.com/filebin/images/products/full/LCp_full_3050.jpg

Archived