Custom decals

So basically I want to put my chap badge on all my marines, as is their right and honour as Astartes of the Scholars Encarmine.

However, the shoulder pad it'll go on is very dark (Tin bitz undercoat with scab red on top). Now as far as im aware, the only way to get around this issue is to use white decal paper, which in itself would be a non-issue.

BUT,

the chap badge itself is rather intricate:

http://img545.imageshack.us/img545/3651/chapbadge2.jpg

So if i did use white decal paper would i have to meticulously cut around the wings? Or is there a clear decal paper thick enough to avoid this problem?

Thanks,

TJ

Yes, if you use a white sheet you would have to cut around, or cut close and paint up to the edge. Unless, you can get access to one of the dry pigment printers that can do White, Gold, and Silver. Then you could print a white background to the exact shape, and print the colour over that.

I'm facing the same dilemma, since my decals are going on Black, so I'm considering a professional printing service. There's no way to avoid the problem without the white background. Clear decal paper will always let the colour through. That's why you want it clear.

'Tis an irksome problem thats for sure.

Professional service may be the way to go. It just raises the issue of A) Price, and :) Where to find one (im located in the UK), though i spose given the nature of the product, it shouldnt be too expensive to ship from anywhere in the wold

TJ

Yup, you send the files, they make the prints, and it all fits in an envelope. From my research so far some places will do the actual image creation, for a fee, but I'm going to be doing all of that myself.

http://i1080.photobucket.com/albums/j332/SubtleDiscord/Decal%20Related%20Pics/Decal_Banner_01.jpg

I want to change up the Eye of Horus, and use White specifically, so I'll need a 3rd party service. Considering how much I spend on the hobby, I hope a sheet or two of decals that will last for years won't be too expensive.

Well keep us informed of any developments Subtle, I've been googling around but I cant seem to find anyone that provides the service beyond the do it yourself paper.

Oh, and im loving the slogan "Our name is legion for we are many", I know its biblical, but it always reminds me of Mass Effect 2....

I'll absolutely do a post and/or blog entry with my experiences getting these done. I doubt I'll have them before the new year, but who knows, maybe Santa will take pity in an old gamer.

I'm not religious but I really like the slogan too. Since GW has no problems lifting inspiration from many religious and historical sources, I don't think it's a stretch. Plus it's in reference to a daemonic possession, so it just seems too fitting to pass up. I can just 'see' the Legion taking a page from the Night Lords or Word Bearers, and broadcasting it non-stop over a system's communication network to demoralize before an attack.

Being a history nut myself Im lifting names, events, organisations as much as possible, whilst still trying to keep it in a 40k flavour, but I digress

I will avidly follow the results of your endeavours as and when you get hold of the transfer paper. Even though you doubt you'll get them before the new year, does this mean that you've found a supplier/manufacturer?

TJ

Yup, I'm constantly scribbling down little bits-and-pieces of information from places like the History Channel. So many obscure names, places, and lore to dip into for flavor.

I'm thinning down the list and looking at; BelDecal, who seem to be an all-round decal printing company, and SamualDecal (Site is being update at the moment), who seem to specialize in model decals.

I haven't contacted anyone yet. I want to get all of my designs close to done before I do.

Archived