Is it time?

Dominicus

For over a year, I've been lurking on this forum and sharing my stories with it's members in the Librarium - the few that dare to venture there. I really enjoy writing stories, and I have a passion for it. Recently, I've toyed with the idea of submitting a new work of mine in May to the Black Library. However, I have issues with second-guessing myself, and I would really appreciate an honest opinion from anyone who reads this on whether or not I have the ability to write at that level yet...(ADB, I'm looking for you here!)

I really appreciate this; thanks in advance to all who reply!

N.B: Mods, sorry if this is the wrong place for this; please move if it is.

If you haven't read any of my stories, the links are here:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.p...howtopic=218830 (The posts get better as you get deeper into the story; my later work is towards the end)

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.p...howtopic=233700 (A more recent work)

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.p...howtopic=233268 (This has 2 of my older shorts in it)

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.p...howtopic=226372 (Some old work on the Space Wolves)

EDIT: Links should work now.

Dude, this is awesome, I love writing stories too*! Just in the wrong forum, so I'm moving it to the appropiate one. Understandable, because as a lurker you can't access the correct forum ;)

*check out mine in my sig ;)

Think you misunderstood me.... I access this forum on a daily basis :P

And I've read both those stories...love them both :devil:

Dude, this is awesome, I love writing stories too*! Just in the wrong forum, so I'm moving it to the appropiate one. Understandable, because as a lurker you can't access the correct forum ;)

*check out mine in my sig ;)

Think you misunderstood me.... I access this forum on a daily basis :P

And I've read both those stories...love them both :P

Oh, duh, I recognize you now - I've seen you around the forum a bit. Not to mention the 200+ posts :devil:

Thanks for the compliments, I'll read your stories and tell you what I think of them ;)

Aw, poor Kurth :o

Andriar is cool, but he's hating on my brother Apostle, I may have to kill him :P JK, JK.

Um, the only critique I have is that your start off with action, and that's cool, but the reader doesn't always know what's going on. You also vest a bit too much personal interest into Andriar's enemies - I hear about how the other captain is best buds with him, and then someone else who was also so so close was killed? Too much, and a tad unnecessary; Ultramarines and Word Bearers have plenty of reasons to hate each other :)

Otherwise, it's good

Some issues with word repetition and flow that probably came from editing and whatnot ie

His pulled of his helemt and reached up to touch his face. It was badly burnt; the skin was charred badly, and he knew that he was wounded badly

Yeah, it's bad, we get it :P

Also, the story about Kurth et al confuses me. He is supposed to be what, some kind of mutated human that evolved separate from the rest of humanity so he's mistaken for a xenos? You should really better explain what he is I think, or just change the story a bit and make him an established species like an exodite Eldar or something. Also, doesn't one need a black carapace to wear Astartes battle plate, there is power armor for humans, but it's not the same as the Astartes armor as far as I know. Finally, I guess this is happening in the "present day" but the feel is a bit too "Great Crusade" for me, with the whole Astartes fighting a battle to conquer a planet thing, but I guess that's just nitpicking.

Anyway, I don't know any BL writers, but I do know a romance novel writer and according to her the whole process of getting published is quite laborious and fickle and that's in a genre that has multiple publishers (as in, a romance writer can send their manuscript to several publishers and hope just one looks at it at least, with 40k fiction there is by definition only one publisher). Which by the way is a big thing, most manuscripts are never read at all, and apparently at least for romance novels the writers send in kind of cover letters (they have a name, but I forgot) that try to sell the publisher on even reading the manuscript, which is apparently quite the achievement. Anyway, good luck.

Archived