Deathwing Highlights

Sinister

New to painting here. Just finished base coating my Deathwing with a 2/1 mix of Bleached Bone/ Graveyard Earth. Now im getting ready to highlight the armor and im kinda intimidated/ lost how to accomplish this so it looks good. Any advice for a novice painter?

Well it would be helpful to see some images of the models as they currently are, but I would probably go with a watered down bleached bone coat, followed by a number of skull white/bleached bone highlights, going all the way up to skull white on the extremities.

We do have some painting guides in the Laws of the Lion thread at the top of this forum, if that's of use.

Just how novice?

The easiest way to paint them is cover the whole model in bleached bone base coat -- your current mix is even better but for beginners, a single color base is good. Paint the larger details and weapons as appropriate. Dwarf Bronze incensors, Boltgun Metal weapon barrels, Blood Red boltgun recievers, that sort of stuff. Paint any skulls or wings a pure Skull White.

Next, wash with Bedab Black the back exhaust panels, the weapons and just a touch for the eyes and nose of any skulls. Wash Griffon Sepia every thing else. Let dry throughly. Dry brush the whole model with Skull White; very dry, like the paint on the brush almost comes off as a powder, use an old brush for this. Highlight the skulls and wings with Skull White if they need it. Tada! You have your 3 color minimum and table ready. All you need are beginner painting skills to produce some game worthy results.

New to painting here. Just finished base coating my Deathwing with a 2/1 mix of Bleached Bone/ Graveyard Earth. Now im getting ready to highlight the armor and im kinda intimidated/ lost how to accomplish this so it looks good. Any advice for a novice painter?

Given your original mix I'd highlight with straight bleached bone, and then extreme edge highlight with a bleached bone / skull white mix. Prior to highlighting - use Jacinda's tip for the washing.

Just regular bleached bone works great, another paint you can use if you can find it is Reaper polished bone. I basecoat my guys using 1:1 polished bone and graveyard earth. Of course, then I went and washed them with gryphonne sepia and thought they looked cool just like that, so I never went back to highlighting them at all. To each their own.

Archived