Raven Guard Command Squad Arcolin

SCC

I present for your viewing pleasure Veteran Sergeant Arcolin of the First Company, Raven Guard and his brethren:

gallery_385_5278_24695.jpg

In game terms they represent a Captain and Command Squad for my under construction Raven Guard army 'Shadow Force Dragomir'. If you're interested in seeing the rest of the army you can follow the WIP thread here.

I started developing in July, you can see what it originally looked like here:

gallery_385_5278_256339.jpg

:P

I went through an awful lot of evolutions to get to the finished product and I'd like to offer my thanks to all those who commented on the squad and helped me bring it to life :D

Only one Marine survived from that initial planning phase intact (Veteran Brother Daulk - far right), although a number of parts were shuffled around to form new and improved Marines. In the initial phase I made the mistake of just making models that looked cool, the problem of course is that there's no coherency amongst the squad at all. Some discussion on my blog and my WIP thread, especially with Povar, helped me identify the need for and develop a more defined theme for the squad.

The theme I settled on was 'hunting xenos through a ruined cityscape' and I think the revised squad does a pretty good job of presenting that theme. As I look at that group photo I'm more convinced than ever that I need to paint a servo-skull for Keldor (kneeling) so it looks like he's receiving a report or giving it instructions so he ties in more closely with that theme.

I also used red through the squad to help tie them together a little more as well, typically, but not always, on the shoulder pad.

OK, so links to individual Marines, these take you to the final blog entry for each Marine and include pics from multiple angles as well as a commentary of construction, posing and painting of each:

I bet he gets the same idiocy left–handed people in our time get subjected to as well:

*Picks up bolter and fires it left–handed*

Another Space Marine sees him do this. “Hey! You’re left–handed?”

:confused:

I bet he gets the same idiocy left–handed people in our time get subjected to as well:

*Picks up bolter and fires it left–handed*

Another Space Marine sees him do this. “Hey! You’re left–handed?”

:confused:

Space Marines are ambidextrous.

Wait wait ... am I seeing a Captain without a Power Weapon?!

Ther's no Captain in the squad - you must be thinking about the Sergeant.

Is that a Damned Legionnaire model? I was planning on doing something similar to them. The only thing I dont like is his rigth gauntlet - it looks like a skeletal hand. I would have painted it metalic to make it look bionic.

@Aqatone: Too true, this guy is a Legion of the Damned model but the B&C Librarium has a simple tutorial for making lefties for anyone who wants to add more to their armies.

@lolita23q: On the eyes, that's a deliberate choice. As well as part of the overall matte/menacing/subdued look and feel of the army I've never understood why marine eye lenses need to be shiny or ablaze with light, they're passive sensors so there's no reason for 'em to be glowing or anything. This decision was not at all influenced by my inability to paint gems, lenses or similar in any way, shape or form, I assure you!

@AngryJohnny: Thanks for the kind words, but remember all credit for the squad being so cohesive goes to guys like Povar, Olisredan and yourself who've taken the time to comment on the squad as it's evolved!

@Corvinvs: Yeah, I like the 'beak' markings too :rolleyes:

@Race: Yep, if a chainsword is good enough for the Captain of a Great Crusade era Great Company like Loken it's good enough for a mere Sergeant in the technologically degraded era 10,00 years later! I know game wise it's not a great decision but the army is built for fluff and looks before tabletop efficiency, hence lots of simple weapons like bolters and chainswords and very few 'rare' ones like plasma and power weapons.

@Keyoz: 'Sergeant' Arcolin is a Captain in game terms (it's the only way to get an Apothecary!), that's where the confusion lies I think.

On Balfour and his left hand, I think it looks fine as a gauntlet rather than a bionic, yopu have to look very closely to see the difference I think. It's certainly far less skeletal than Apothecary Leandro's left foot which also got painted as plain old armour.

@Plasman: :tu: Preferably with a huge explosion behind them yeah? That said I'm glad you can see them stalking towards some xenos filth, that is after all the theme I was aiming for :D

@Olisredan; Grimdarkness; Archangelus; Varulv: Thanks guys!

Archived