Prismatic/hologramattic effect

henrywalker

Hi,

I want to get this sort of finish on my grey knights but I do not want to use an airbrush. Does anyone know of a brush applied equivalent? I've heard of powders that you can add to regular paint to pearlise it, would that be similar?

Thanks

http://alclad2.com/website/?page_id=337

Hey, Alex here, I dunno much about this stuff but to me that looks like carpaint, the problem with car paint is that it is generaly airbrushed on, if you want something to look like that, your either gonna have to buy/borrow an airbrush, or you could test layering it on, but I dont use carpaint so I wouldnt know how it worked and how it wattered down. If you look how the colours on the model are you may be able to actualy paint it looking like that, of course it would only look its best from certain angles but still, but hey dont take my word for it, a person who has helped me out alot and is a realy credit to the painting community is "Subtle Discord", he's given me alot of (extremely long), tips and hints on how to paint miniatures, and if you want real help contact him along with anotehr blogger "Lorenzo" I believe his name to be, I would recomend eitehr of them, if you want to find them or just want some general tips on painting, click onto my name go onto pages/forums/topics what not, and look at the "need help with painting astral claws" all the info's on their and you can find the two names I mentioned above, there a real credit to the bolter and chainsword community!

Hi,

I want to get this sort of finish on my grey knights but I do not want to use an airbrush. Does anyone know of a brush applied equivalent? I've heard of powders that you can add to regular paint to pearlise it, would that be similar?

Thanks

http://alclad2.com/website/?page_id=337

I have used Alclad quite a bit, it is a great product, but really should be applied with an airbrush. It is not a "car paint" it is simply an lacquer based paint, that is all. In my opinion, 40k minis are simply too small to really benefit form paint like this, the effect does not scale well.

Ashton

I gotta agree with Ashton here. A chromed surface works well on a 'realistic' model, but for most purposes on the game table it's not suitable. It also relies hugely on surface preparation; if you don't polish the surface prior to applying the gloss then lacquer you don't get a good finish. This is quite hard to do on a 28mm mini.

You're better off faking the chrome by using a high-contrast shading method such as SENMM or Sky-Earth with True Metals (where you use matte colours in the shading mixes to keep the contrast even in the face of direct reflectivitiy).

Quick edit: For the refractive chrome look, you can try mixing through a bit of red towards the top highlight, and through a touch of blue toward the bottom (contrashade) highlight.

Actually...

Once you get past the raw true chrome effect, the rainbow effect you see is called an "Interfrerence" refraction of light. It's the same efect as when light bounces off an oil slick or a fly's wings.

You might want to have a look at Liquitex Interference Colors to simulate the effect, but you are not going to get a true chrome out of it without airbrushing and a lot of special preparation of the surface (needs to be COMPLETELY smooth, like glass).

Archived