Counts As Chapter Banner?

I'm building my somewhat converted Sanguinary Guard unit, and I want them to have a Chapter Banner. But the more I look at the unit, the more I realize that the said banner doesn't belong. The Sanguinaries have very dynamic poses, and it looks just so very dumb to be leaping and charging into combat holding a gigantic FOR SALE TODAY ONE DAY ONLY sign, even by 40K standards.

Does anyone have a clever idea of how to represent the said banner without a banner?

why not use a banner which connects to an inverted L shaped pole.... that way you connect along the top and one long side, leaving the rest of the banner to 'flutter'. could do this with a thin piece of plasticard and a bit of heat (hair dryer works) to get it warm enough to bend. this way the dynamic works and the banner trails behind the motion...and you can put whatever "for sale" sign you want on it

Boringly, I decided to go with a banner after all, after ruining a few bits.

My solution:

- One-handed axe arm from SG sprue (right arm).

- Banner pole from the Bloodcrushers sprue with thorns shaved off - it has a spike on the bottom so I figure the guy will plant it in the ground if necessary.

- Generic Chapter Banner from Command Squad sprue.

- One-handed angelus boltgun arm from SG sprue (left arm).

- Left-handed Nemesis Falchion from the GK sprue.

Oddly enough, the mini looks less awkward holding the banner in the right hand instead of the default left, and the nemesis falchion fit in nicely on the same arm as the angelus boltgun. Since the banner bearer fights one-handed, a smaller weapon than the big honkin' glaives encarmine fits better. I'll post pictures eventually.

I wish the Imperial Forces had an equivalent of the Chaos bosspole, which has an icon on top and no cloth. It would be cool to tote a gigantic aquila around (though admittedly somewhat reminiscent of the real-life nazi standards *blech*).

The whole idea of banners brings to mind the roman standards. Not all roman banners were these huge sheets hung up to dry.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...n_Standards.jpg

If it were me, I would start with a large fantasy spear of some sort. I have a few of the small banners that come with the SoB vehicle sprues and that would go just under the spear head. Follow up with other iconography down the top half of the spear.

why not use a banner which connects to an inverted L shaped pole.... that way you connect along the top and one long side, leaving the rest of the banner to 'flutter'. could do this with a thin piece of plasticard and a bit of heat (hair dryer works) to get it warm enough to bend. this way the dynamic works and the banner trails behind the motion...and you can put whatever "for sale" sign you want on it

+1

Archived